PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading through USB

upapilot
March 31st, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I have several computers in my office running Ubuntu 10.10.

I want to upgrade them all to the Oneric Ocelot. However the internet connection at my office is has a low usage limit.

However i have downloaded Ubuntu 11.10 on my home laptop and then loaded it onto a USB stick.

Is it possible to upgrade the other computers using the stick?

Bucky Ball
March 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM
I don't know about your problem but as you are running production machines it might be a better idea to wait for the next LTS release (long term support) which has five years support; 12.04 LTS. It will be released in about three weeks (but might pay to wait a little longer than that til the dust settles).

As these are office machines in a production environment, if they are not broke, don't fix 'em! If the boxes are solid on 10.10 it is definitely worth the wait for the long support life of an LTS release.

darkod
March 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM
I am not sure but I think you can only upgrade using the alternate install image (when you create the usb with it), not the standard desktop image.

Also, I am not sure you can go from 10.10 to 11.10 directly. When doing it with Update Manager for example, on the internet, you have to go version by version. The only exception is if you are upgrading from LTS to LTS, you can do that directly.

So in your case I am not sure you can get to 11.10 without upgrading to 11.04 first.

Even if you can, right now it might be best to wait for 12.04 LTS to come out at end of April, and then upgrade directly to 12.04 LTS version. But I don't think you can avoid going version to version.