PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VNC Support With 11.10

brandontravis
March 31st, 2012, 06:35 AM
Hey all, as you can imagine I (like others) am new-ish to Linux, and very new to Ubuntu.

I am trying to replace my Windows Home Server with Ubuntu Server that acts primarily as a media server to the multiple entertainment locations in my house.

Installation of Ubuntu Server 11.10 goes off without a hitch, get SSH setup for access from my MacBook Air running OS 10.7 and have no issues accessing everything locally.

I decided that having a desktop environment available wouldn't be a terrible ideas, as this is the first time I have used any Ubuntu variant and I haven't used any linux flavor in several years. I installed Gnome as it is what I am familiar with.

Here is where the trouble begins. The first VNC Server I installed was vnc4server, got it up and running properly with no issues, connected just fine from my Mac on my local network with no issues. I can interact with the desktop just fine (create new files / folders, etc) but I cannot see the menu bars / side bar for the life of me. I thought that I would try x11vnc, so I removed vnc4server, removed local files that I had edited to get gnome working (found that solution on a post on these forums), and installed x11vnc. With this, I can SEE everything, but cannot interact with anything. No keyboard or mouse support at all.

I'm sure I am just doing something stupid, but does anyone have any suggestions?

I would be happy to provide any additional information needed to get this fixed.

Thanks in advance!

coffeecat
April 2nd, 2012, 09:54 PM
Thread moved to Server Platforms.

CharlesA
April 2nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
Check out FreeNX, it goes over SSH and is way more secure than VNC.

arrrghhh
April 3rd, 2012, 12:46 AM
IMHO you should install the Desktop Edition if you want a full blown DE. The server edition doesn't come with a DE, and most people seem to just apt-get install ubuntu-desktop - which basically defeats the whole purpose of going for the server installation!

Plus, the desktop edition has a form of VNC/remote desktop built in. I think it uses the VNC protocol, I think it's called 'Vino'? I haven't run the desktop version in a while, sorry.

With all that said, I also vote heavily that you give the server side a shot w/o the use of a DE. Between web interfaces and a few CLI commands, I find myself perfectly happy running a server w/o a DE. I know it's scary, but I swear once you get used to it you'll love it. At least I do :p.

I'm sure that's not the answer you're looking for, but the one above mine is probably the best you're going to get. FreeNX is worlds ahead of VNC...

CharlesA
April 3rd, 2012, 01:14 AM
IMHO you should install the Desktop Edition if you want a full blown DE. The server edition doesn't come with a DE, and most people seem to just apt-get install ubuntu-desktop - which basically defeats the whole purpose of going for the server installation!

Plus, the desktop edition has a form of VNC/remote desktop built in. I think it uses the VNC protocol, I think it's called 'Vino'? I haven't run the desktop version in a while, sorry.

It's easier to just install Ubuntu desktop anyhow. I think that's what the VNC server is called but I haven't run the newer versions of Ubuntu. It's not the best VNC server, but it gets the job done.

With all that said, I also vote heavily that you give the server side a shot w/o the use of a DE. Between web interfaces and a few CLI commands, I find myself perfectly happy running a server w/o a DE. I know it's scary, but I swear once you get used to it you'll love it. At least I do :p.

I think the only thing I use a web interface for is virtualbox, but that's only cuz I am lazy and it's easier than SSHing in and setting up a VM that way.

HermanAB
April 3rd, 2012, 05:31 AM
BTW, VNC is the favourite way to get your machine hacked. These forums are full of tales of VNC woe. Rather read the snailbook and use SSH.

eabel
April 5th, 2012, 04:10 PM
i have x11vnc running on ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop through oracle vbox 4.1.12 via a win7 host. I can access the desktop as long as i login via unity 2d or gnome classic. I got x11vnc working using the following upstart script:
cat share/x11vnc.conf ─┘
start on login-session-start
script
x11vnc -rfbauth /home/eddie/.vnc/passwd -ncache_cr -xkb -noxdamage -norepeat -noxrecord -noxfixes -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -forever -bg -o /var/log/x11vnc.log
end script

Put the file in /etc/init and start x11vnc. From my netbook i access the ubuntu desktop via ssh and ultraVNC. i used ssvnc_windows (free download) and changed the default vncviewer to ultra rather than real. works great. the x11vnc faq was very helpful in T/Sing issues that i ran into. Good Luck,

Ed ;)