PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do i uninstall Ubuntu from a single boot system?

stupuntu
March 30th, 2012, 09:44 PM
So I just recently finished building a computer, but I couldn't get a hold of Windows right away. So, because I'd never tried Ubuntu before, I decided to go ahead and put it on a disk. I was disappointed with about 90% of the OS, but I won't get into that. Now I'd like to uninstall Ubuntu and Install windows, but I don't know for the life of me how. I've googled it but havn't found any that help. I have Ubuntu 11.10. Thanks in advance.

ratcheer
March 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Just put in your Windows installation media and it will format the disk for you. Once that is done, it won't matter that Ubuntu was ever there.

Tim

stupuntu
March 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Just put in your Windows installation media and it will format the disk for you. Once that is done, it won't matter that Ubuntu was ever there.

Tim

I have it on a flash drive, and I've tried booting from the flash drive but it just brings me back to ubuntu.

QIII
March 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
This is a legal copy of Windows, correct?

stupuntu
March 30th, 2012, 10:05 PM
This is a legal copy of Windows, correct?

Yes, Its legal. (I'm against piracy) Its actually the Consumer Preview version of Windows 8.

QIII
March 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks.

OK. Forgive me the initial obvious question, but is your BIOS/EFI set to boot first from USB?

stupuntu
March 30th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks.

OK. Forgive me the initial obvious question, but is your BIOS/EFI set to boot first from USB?

Yes, currently it is. Still, it boots to Ubuntu normally.

jerome1232
March 30th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Sounds like your usb stick wasn't done correctly, it's probably not bootable. How did you create it?

stupuntu
March 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Sounds like your usb stick wasn't done correctly, it's probably not bootable. How did you create it?

Ok, that confirms my suspicions. I put the USB stick in, and started to install windows on it. I left to go to a movie, and when I came back I found that my sister had taken it out. I was hoping windows was fully installed, but I guess not. I'll have to reinstall it, not a very long process. Hopefully that will work. Thanks!! :D

jerome1232
March 30th, 2012, 10:25 PM
If this is helpful I found this with a quick google search (this one would be done from a windows machine, you could use a virtual machine from Ubuntu if you wanted)

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-make-windows-8-bootable-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

stupuntu
March 30th, 2012, 10:26 PM
If this is helpful I found this with a quick google search (this one would be done from a windows machine, you could use a virtual machine from Ubuntu if you wanted)

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-make-windows-8-bootable-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

I was thinking about that, because even though I said I was disappointed with it I'm thinking now that maybe if I used it a little more I would come to like it. Thanks!