PDA

View Full Version : What's the better specification?

majabl
March 30th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Folks,

I'm considering buying a refurbed compact laptop, but there are two specifications available at around the same price and I can't work out which would be better for me.

Core 2 Duo @ 1.66 Ghz w/ 2GB RAM
Core 2 Duo @ 1.8 Ghz w/ 1GB RAM

Aside from processor and RAM, the rest of the spec is nigh-on identical. The laptop would be for general light use and nothing too taxing (using (X)Ubuntu and Windows XP) - web browsing, word processing, light spreadsheets, iPlayer, other video.

I know both specs would handle this kind of use, but which is likely to feel the quickest?

Thanks in advance

Paqman
March 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
If you're not doing anything that will chew up more than 1GB (which it sounds like you aren't) then the difference between them is so minimal you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

Personally I'd go for extra RAM. Running out of RAM is much more of a pain than having a marginally slower processor.

haqking
March 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM
the first one.

That being said as it is a laptop, if you buy the second one you can upgrade the memory where as trying to upgrade a laptop CPU can be a nightmare.

papibe
March 30th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hi majabl.

I can think of 2 scenarios:

Restricted budget:
If you don't have more budget to upgrade the RAM (and won't in the near future), I'd go with the one with more RAM. IMO the additional 1Gb RAM will make the desktop experience much nicer.

Flexible budget:
An extra 1Gb upgrade could cost as low as $18. If you have the extra money, or will in the near future, go with the faster CPU. Upgrading RAM in a laptop is a relatively easy task.

Just my thoughts.
Regards.

SemiExpert
March 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Folks,

I'm considering buying a refurbed compact laptop, but there are two specifications available at around the same price and I can't work out which would be better for me.

Core 2 Duo @ 1.66 Ghz w/ 2GB RAM
Core 2 Duo @ 1.8 Ghz w/ 1GB RAM

Aside from processor and RAM, the rest of the spec is nigh-on identical. The laptop would be for general light use and nothing too taxing (using (X)Ubuntu and Windows XP) - web browsing, word processing, light spreadsheets, iPlayer, other video.

I know both specs would handle this kind of use, but which is likely to feel the quickest?

Thanks in advance

Which specific Core 2 Duo chips? They typically begin with a letter and end with four digits, such a Txxx, Pxxxx, or Uxxx. Then there's the matter of RAM and how easily and cheaply you can upgrade. Current standard DDR3 RAM is far cheaper than DDR2, and you have to research how easy it is to access the RAM and the maximum amount supported by the motherboard.

forrestcupp
March 30th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't even think about the first one, if I could afford both. Since it's a laptop, you get the better processor because you can easily upgrade the RAM whenever you're able, and RAM isn't too expensive. If you get the slower processor, you're stuck with that.

MisterGaribaldi
March 31st, 2012, 12:49 AM
I second forrestcupp's comments. Go for the faster laptop, and then buy more RAM. In fact, max it out on RAM if you can swing it.

LowSky
March 31st, 2012, 12:52 AM
1.6 vs 1.8? You will barely notice the difference if both had the same amount of RAM.

spcwingo
March 31st, 2012, 05:03 AM
the first one.

That being said as it is a laptop, if you buy the second one you can upgrade the memory where as trying to upgrade a laptop CPU can be a nightmare.

^this^