PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installing Lubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSuse

gosling1
March 30th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Good day- I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and would like to explore some of the other variants of Linux.

I've downloaded the .iso files of Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora and OpenSuse but when I run the install programs instead of letting me try the versions without installing they go right to the installation. Which brings me to my problem.

I currently have Ubuntu and Mint installed and I can select either from the, I think Grub screen that displays at boot.

The other installs get to the point where I am given many options at partitioning the hard disk but I back out at that point since I don't want to uninstall Ubuntu, which I will probably continue using or Mint, which is fun to play with.

So, can someone walk me through the process, can I just accept the suggested partitioning and install or will that mess up my installed Ubuntu?

Also, is there an .iso somewhere that will allow me to try the various options like Ubuntu offers?

With my thanks for any and all assistance.

Regards,

Mike Robinson

goldshirt9
March 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM
did you download the live cd version

Bill Z
March 30th, 2012, 02:14 PM
You didn't say what kind of hardware you have, but, if you can, just get an old harddrive, install and boot from that.

Just another option.

gosling1
March 30th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Possibly not. Suggestions as to where?

Many thanks,

Mike

gosling1
March 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM
did you download the live cd version

Thanks, have found references. Should be OK now. Will keep everyone posted.

Appreciate the info greatly.

Cheers,

Mike Robinson