PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.11 upgrade blank screen

JoeDiB
March 29th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I am at a blank screen.

I was upgrading from online and left the machine on upgrade and switched to my main PC for work.

It was in the installation process and had 54 minutes to go. The machine was loading for about 1 1/2 hours.

When I switched back to the PC it is giving a blank screen and no indication that anything is happening.

How long does the whole process take to complete?

Am I supposed to wait until a prompt appears?

Frogs Hair
March 29th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Hello and Welcome

Are you upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10 ? A ask because the post says 10.11 The other thing I should write is 10.10 reaches end of life in April and 10.04 being a long term term support (LTS) release will be supported until 2013 .

JoeDiB
March 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Maybe it is 19.10 . I am afraid to restart the computer. When I upgraded from 9 -10 it did the same thing.
It is still a blank screen

JoeDiB
March 30th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I meant to say 10.10
Does anyone know how long this should last? its a blank screen for at least 7 hours

critin
March 30th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I meant to say 10.10
Does anyone know how long this should last? its a blank screen for at least 7 hours

It isn't working, might as well restart and see what it does. Are you unable to download a fresh 10.10 iso to install?

JoeDiB
March 30th, 2012, 02:47 AM
I restarted and am continuing the upgrade to "natty"?

Frogs Hair
March 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
11.04 is Natty Narwhal . Good luck with the Upgrades !

raja.genupula
March 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM
i think you're problem relates to graphics card , you enter into GRUB recovery mode and choose failsafeX mode and then reinstall graphics drivers .

if you use Nvidia , have a look http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=835573

JoeDiB
April 5th, 2012, 12:26 AM
now I am at 10.10 and I cant open software center, cant get flash plugin,
Nautilus cant seem to copy pdfs or xcf files and stalls.
I stop the ftp restart the machine and it still remembers the last state and remains in a coma
I have been doing this as online upgrades.
I am disappointed because I really like this but every time I do an upgrade my machine gets a little more fragmented and the layout of the disk management is unintuitive.

Why is the upgrade process a mess? Must I be a geek to understand it?

critin
April 5th, 2012, 01:48 AM
now I am at 10.10 and I cant open software center, cant get flash plugin,
Nautilus cant seem to copy pdfs or xcf files and stalls.
I stop the ftp restart the machine and it still remembers the last state and remains in a coma
I have been doing this as online upgrades.
I am disappointed because I really like this but every time I do an upgrade my machine gets a little more fragmented and the layout of the disk management is unintuitive.

Why is the upgrade process a mess? Must I be a geek to understand it?

every time I do an upgrade my machine gets a little more fragmented

So you don't prefer fresh installs? According to how you partition, you can save your stuff on its own partition and just install a new os each time. You'd probably be more satisfied.

Have you installed all the updates for 10.10 yet? There'll be a lot because the os is old, but it would fix many of the issues you're having.

JoeDiB
April 5th, 2012, 03:37 AM
It will not do the updates.
Ill figure it out