PDA

View Full Version : What do you use windows for?

Johnny3
March 29th, 2012, 05:10 PM
About the only thing I use windows for is printing pictures on my canon iP4700, getting my over clocking right, and to keep up with it just enough to help a 1 or 2 old(that means age too) friends.
Thanks and God Bless Johnny3 65++++
PS if it hadn't be for Ubuntu and this forum I would probably be using windows more.

nutrapi
March 29th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Some games, because using my legal copy of windows that I got for free on a second partition or HD is usually a better experience than spending hours to get certain games to work in linux.

Some really old programs for work which run fine in win7 but don't under wine.

That's really about it these days.

Oh, and on my laptop I still use a shared onenote notebook for work.

Dragonbite
March 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Printing (haven't gotten our wireless multi-function working with Linux yet).
Office 365 (while the web interface works, things like Lync are not available for Linux).
Visual Studio (I am trying to get more involved with putzing around at home since I do ASP.NET at work).
Games for the kids.
Support for parents, wife and others (the kids use the Ubuntu desktop so they are no problem ;) )

After using Linux since ~2003 and hopping around distributions, Windows 7, to me, just feels like a different distribution and different desktop environment. I try and avoid spending any money on software so it isn't much different than choosing Shotwell or F-Spot or Digikam or ... And just like Linux distributions there are some good parts, and some not-so-good parts but each one has a strength or weakness in different places.

CloudsInMyHead
March 29th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Since I'm relatively new to the whole non-Windows/OSX operating system kind of thing, I tend to use my Windows partition for gaming (S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Metro 2033, Minecraft, etc.) and doing homework (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
Otherwise I can access all the files on the other partition if I need to from Xubuntu.

Dr.Paneas
March 29th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Mostly for Games under DirectX

QIII
March 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Windows-specific development and when someone absolutely needs an Office document and doesn't want to be bothered by futzing around with piddly formatting issues.

CharlesA
March 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Mostly for Games under DirectX
This pretty much.

Oh and Office 2010 and IE for school..

trivialpackets
March 29th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Netflix, connecting to my work network from home, some windows only games, downloading virus' and malware, letting some air in the house when things are feeling stale, some .NET work, etc ;)...

Roasted
March 29th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I installed Win 7 in dual boot when I set up system up, but I haven't even completed the install because, well, I don't need it. If I remember right, I think it still needed some drivers. I pretty much saw it was done, said well, okay, and that was it. So even if I found myself needing it, I'd still have a bit of work for it to even be usable.

Maybe a weekend project?

Eh, on second thought. Nahh. :p

dpny
March 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Playing games and installing MSFS scenery so I can convert it to X-Plane scenery.

Paqman
March 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Windows games.

philinux
March 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM
BSKYB service SkyGo.

It needs the dreaded silverlight.

haqking
March 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Star Wars: The Old Republic

nothingspecial
March 29th, 2012, 08:29 PM
iTunes for one of my lads' iPod touch.

That's it.

Dr. Moreau
March 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I use Windows a lot at work, dual-booting with Kubuntu. I have to trade files with my co-workers and they're all on Windows. I also have to use some Windows-only peripheral devices, a sub-meter GPS and the data collector for the laser transit. Those devices run Windows Mobile and WinCE (wince, wince).

At home, I'm strictly Linux. No, I'm not; from time to time my wife asks me to fix something on her Macbook.

BbUiDgZ
March 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Games for windows, although I mostly play q3a based games like urbanterror, enemy-territory and smokinguns so I don't need to use windows at all.

jockyburns
March 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Only one game really,, Eve Online. A real shame that CCP decided to drop support for Linux.

samalex
March 29th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I use Windows at work and that's it. I do have it installed virtually on my laptop mainly so I can do work from home, but even there its used vary rarely.

alexfish
March 29th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Black Hole { Theory }

KiwiNZ
March 29th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Running PC's or looking outside.

CharlesA
March 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
...or looking outside.

You just made my day. :KS

alexfish
March 29th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Running PC's or looking outside.
My PC's sprint pass other peoples windows:guitar:

MisterGaribaldi
March 30th, 2012, 12:02 AM
What about those of us who don't use Windows for anything?

I use Mac OS X for certain professional software that does not exist in Linux.

leclerc65
March 30th, 2012, 12:11 AM
iTunes, print, scan, TomTom Home, Garmin Mapsource, Office.
Actually it's cool, XP inside Virtualbox. No worries about virus (XP), no headache with driver hunting (Linux). I hate dual boot. Imagine you have to scan in the middle of a torrent (scan in Linux scks - or maybe just stupid me - but I cannot find way to do multipage scanning).

JohnRambuntu
March 30th, 2012, 12:24 AM
The empire forces me to use it @ work...

@ Home the whole family uses Ubuntu, I've installed it even on my grandma's desktop and she says it's easier than windows....so much win!\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

Paqman
March 30th, 2012, 01:25 AM
XP inside Virtualbox. No worries about virus (XP)

It would be highly advisable to have some antivirus software installed on your Windows guest. Being installed in a Linux VM won't protect it from malware.

Sylslay
March 30th, 2012, 01:50 AM
cd's rip off.
banking!!!!

aeronutt
March 30th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Only when I have to...but unfortunately I do have to sometimes....
-upgrading BIOS,
-video editing
-some IM stuff
-when I want to see a really well integrated OS with the h/w I purchased.

leclerc65
March 30th, 2012, 04:30 AM
It would be highly advisable to have some antivirus software installed on your Windows guest. Being installed in a Linux VM won't protect it from malware.
Doing the cited tasks ?

Retlol
March 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM
When you're a pc gamer you need Windows.

Sad but true.

aura7
March 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Gaming .... gaming and gaming.... this is the only department where Ubuntu or any Linux distro does not shines......

Professional games are not available in linux... :( hence have to switch to Windows for that.

wolfen69
March 30th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I used to keep windows around for testing software back when I fixed computers for a living. But since I no longer fix computers, the only reason I keep a windows partition is in case I have to reflash my android phone back to stock config. If it wasn't for that, I would have no need for windows.

haqking
March 30th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I used to keep windows around for testing software back when I fixed computers for a living. But since I no longer fix computers, the only reason I keep a windows partition is in case I have to reflash my android phone back to stock config. If it wasn't for that, I would have no need for windows.

why do you need windows to flash android ?

it is not required or needed ?

it is all done on the phone

Peace

cbennett926
March 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Games, Zune management, Microsoft Office (school). I am actually getting another hard drive today to put Ubuntu on!

Roasted
March 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I used to use Windows for gaming. Ever since my gaming mode magically faded, I haven't even really touched it. In fact, even if I *had* to use Windows, I wouldn't be able to. Last time I installed Win 7, I said okay, great, that's nice and rebooted. No drivers installed, no applications, literally just a vanilla Win 7 and that's it. :popcorn:

BertN45
March 30th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I still use Windows XP on my fileserver, the old P-III. I paid for the OEM disk and want to get the max profit out of it. Especially since Windows was more expensive then the PC itself back in 2004. Sometimes I use it to check usb sticks / disks or SD cards with FAT or NTFS formats, another reason to keep windows on it.

I use 12.04 now on my desktop, laptop and on an spare desktop I use as headless VM server. The children of my sister in law use my old laptop with Lubuntu 11.10.

Paqman
March 30th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Doing the cited tasks ?

True, although you're still connecting to the internet.

Roasted
March 30th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I still use Windows XP on my fileserver, the old P-III. I paid for the OEM disk and want to get the max profit out of it. Especially since Windows was more expensive then the PC itself back in 2004. Sometimes I use it to check usb sticks / disks or SD cards with FAT or NTFS formats, another reason to keep windows on it.

I use 12.04 now on my desktop, laptop and on an spare desktop I use as headless VM server. The children of my sister in law use my old laptop with Lubuntu 11.10.

How's that work for you? Have you had decent uptime? I used to use XP as a file server and every now and then I had to slap it around a little bit to stay focused on the task I assigned it to do. I'm running 11.04 on that box now, and will soon be Lubuntu (most likely).

BertN45
March 30th, 2012, 08:39 PM
How's that work for you? Have you had decent uptime? I used to use XP as a file server and every now and then I had to slap it around a little bit to stay focused on the task I assigned it to do. I'm running 11.04 on that box now, and will soon be Lubuntu (most likely).

I never look at it, it always runs. Once in a while I check for the latest updates. It even participates at the folding@home project from the Stanford University (distributed computing). Of course it needs a week or more to finish one unit of work.

lisati
March 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Video editing.

hakermania
March 30th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Gaming, gaming, gaming....

Oh! I forgot to mention gaming!

leilei
March 30th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Steam (games!), and development on older hardware as well as using tools that Wine can not run

Also Visual Studio and its excellent debugger.

wolfen69
March 31st, 2012, 12:44 AM
why do you need windows to flash android ?

it is not required or needed ?

it is all done on the phone

Peace

Not if you want to flash back to stock. Odin only works with windows. (.exe file) But yeah, windows isn't needed to hop from rom to rom.

yetiman64
March 31st, 2012, 01:03 AM
I'm yet to find any music player visualization features worth mentioning for Ubuntu. I had always used Winamp and its visualizations in XP. I run XP in virtualbox to run the milkdrop and avs visualization packs while listening to music/relaxing. Note: avs wouldn't run until virtualbox implemented their experimental directX support, glad they did that. :-)

Otherwise nothing else anymore.

haqking
March 31st, 2012, 06:06 AM
Not if you want to flash back to stock. Odin only works with windows. (.exe file) But yeah, windows isn't needed to hop from rom to rom.

I suppose it depends on your phone then.

I have a google nexus one and flashing back to stock is same as a rom flash, all done on phone.

I know its the same for the nexus s, and galaxy too.

ojdon
March 31st, 2012, 11:02 AM
I only need it for Visual C# and Visual C++. :(

Shame I can't have a Windows-free machine!

farrinux
March 31st, 2012, 12:18 PM
Netflix, CAD (Although I have been using some linux packages as of late), Games when I decide to play, I have been using a lot of linux games lately.

MisterGaribaldi
March 31st, 2012, 04:46 PM
From what I've seen, Linux-based systems make for better file servers. Not only that, but (especially when you're looking at the range of Linux distributions) they support more potential hardware configurations than Windows does. I would defy anyone to get Windows Server (any version) up and running on my hardware. ;)

wolfen69
March 31st, 2012, 07:35 PM
I suppose it depends on your phone then.

Yeah, I wish it wasn't so, but that's the way it is. Btw, I have a Samsung Infuse. But that's OK, I guess windows is good for something. ;)

haqking
March 31st, 2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I wish it wasn't so, but that's the way it is. Btw, I have a Samsung Infuse. But that's OK, I guess windows is good for something. ;)

oh well, always a VM.

I just read about odin as i never heard about it as i have always done it on the phone itself, seems a few people use a VM only for that purpose.

peace

wolfen69
April 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM
oh well, always a VM.

Windows 7 came with my laptop, so I just kept it on a partition alongside Ubuntu.