PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SSH from Connectbot to 11.10 Openssh-server

mastermindg
March 29th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I followed these instructions:

https://github.com/mchelen/michaelchelen.net---old-2/wiki/android.connectbot.ssh.key.auth.howto

I've got my public key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys with chmod 644. However when I attempt to connect with Connectbot it is failing. How can I troubleshoot this?

Insomn1a
March 29th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I followed these instructions:

https://github.com/mchelen/michaelchelen.net---old-2/wiki/android.connectbot.ssh.key.auth.howto

I've got my public key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys with chmod 644. However when I attempt to connect with Connectbot it is failing. How can I troubleshoot this?

what kind of failure is connectbot saying? is it access denied, dropped, denied, etc.?

mastermindg
March 30th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Attempting 'publickey' authentication with any in-memory public keys
Authentication method 'publickey' with key 'cxkey' failed
Trying to authenticate

Then it prompts for a password.

nk711
June 27th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Hi, did you solve this? I am having the same problem-- copied pub key from android device to server, appended to authorized_keys, and doesn't work.
Thanks

spynappels
June 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM
What often happens is that the key is copied across 2 or 3 lines instead of the single line it's supposed to be.

Check the authorized_keys file and check that each key is on a single line. If it is not, remove any errant line feed/carriage returns and try again.

Habitual
June 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM
...chmod 644.

Mine have always been 600

nk711
June 27th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. I had already checked for line breaks, and my perms are 600 too. Verbose logging on the server indicates "Failed publickey". I don't know how else to debug this. I even tried re-installing Connectbot. It's probably an Android or even a Connectbot question, but I asked here since I found this unresolved thread, hoping the OP solved it.

spynappels
June 27th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I know it does not help much, but I use ConnectBot daily to access several Ubuntu servers. I'll try to create a new key and upload it to a server to see if I can recreate the issue, but it will be tomorrow before I can do that.

nk711
June 27th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks, that's kind of you. Give me another day to test before you go to any trouble though--

I just tried connecting to a different server and it worked, so it might be something specific to this machine (though I've not had trouble with this machine before, this is the first time I'm connecting via Android).

I want to test on my home network tonight and I'll report back.

nk711
June 28th, 2012, 05:11 AM
OK, everything works on my home network. Just the first server I tested it on (of course!) doesn't work. Pretty sure I did the identical procedure on all computers. If I figure out the problem on the non-working setup I'll post back here. Thanks again for help and offers of help!