PDA

View Full Version : Lost most of my TV channels!

oxf
March 29th, 2012, 03:05 PM
UK based question (though if anyone else has thoughts on this feel free)

I lost most my digital Freeview channels.
All the BBC ones are there but anything else has gone. I've tried setup again and rescanning and it's only detecting the BBC ones! I checked with my neigbour and they have everything. So cant understand why BBC would be full strengh and everything else non existant.

Any ideas :confused:

howefield
March 29th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Are you talking about a standalone box connected to your TV, or a card inside your PC ?

Bucky Ball
March 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here.

No offence, but isn't this a support quesiton? ;)

howefield
March 29th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Not enough information yet to decide that ;-)

oxf
March 29th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Are you talking about a standalone box connected to your TV, or a card inside your PC ?

NO it's just built in to my TV.

Katya

oxf
March 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Well I figured since this is not really a Linux issue this was the best place for it
Feel free to move it if you wish :)

coffeecat
March 29th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Have a look at your aerial and the connections to it. In my area, at least, the multiplexes carrying the BBC channels are the strongest. It could be that something has come adrift physically, and that you are getting just enough signal for your tuner to pick up the BBC multiplexes only. Don't forget that with a digital signal, you get a good picture almost until the signal is weak/bad enough to degrade completely.

Or do you have a signal amplifier? Is this still working/connected?

3rdalbum
March 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM
In My Humble Experience as a TV installer for several years, you probably just need to replace the antenna cable that goes from the wall socket to the TV. In any case, it's the cheapest and easiest thing to try.

I've noticed too that sometimes you can pick up one set of channels even with a shoddy antenna cable.

oxf
March 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Well thanks guys..
I'm not using any fancy amplifiers or the like. This evening when I get home I'll pull the whole thing out and take a look. Funny though since every thing was fine until late last night. Hasn't rained in ages here either so thats not it!

oxf
March 29th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Problem solved!
Yes it was a weak signal. It was caused by the fact that my old VCR is conncted in line to the TV. Even though we are all digital here I kept it there just for playing some old tapes. Anyway looks like it died and no signal was getting through. Now I've taken it out all channelels and more are ful strength.

MisterGaribaldi
March 30th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Ah... a VCR. I still have one of those things in a closet, somewhere.

Paqman
March 30th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Ah... a VCR. I still have one of those things in a closet, somewhere.

We still have one that's built into a TV. I let my 2-year old poke things into the slot when she thinks I'm not watching so she can think she's getting away with being destructive. Little does she know!