PDA

View Full Version : How can i install windows 7 without dvd or usb?

drfeelbad
March 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Ok so i've decided to run ubuntu only on my laptop ( better for work ) and run windows on my desktop for gaming. Currently i have ubuntu 12.04 installed on my desktop and i want to remove it and install windows instead. I don't have a dvd writer and i've borrowed my usb to someone for a week.
How can i install windows 7 without using a dvd or usb? Is it possible with wine or VMWare or anything else?

darkod
March 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM
You are talking about replacing the OS on the desktop. Wine or VMware are not for that.

It's best to wait for a week instead of trying half-solutions that you might regret later. Or try borrowing a usb stick yourself too. :)

mastablasta
March 29th, 2012, 09:25 AM
you should ask on windows forums if there is some kind of net install.

this forum is for ubuntu support.

no you can not install it using wine or vmware. well that is unless you want to get some virtualizaiton. but i suspect you want a clean install of windows OS only.

drfeelbad
March 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Ok guys i've found a way: http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-install-windows-7-from-ubuntu-without-burnning-a-disc

Mark Phelps
March 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Not to be discouraging, but there was a similar thread I read earlier today where someone tried the steps in this link -- and failed. Sorry, don't have the link, but if you search, maybe you'll find it.

pricetech
March 29th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Just make sure you're not violating the EULA by moving your Windows OS to the desktop.

There is a way to do it involving the "wim" file on the disk. Quite easy if your properly equipped.