PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2nd install try--keyboard inoperative

JXR
March 29th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I tossed the computer that I’d tried to load Linux onto. It seemed its hard disk was fried.

Today I tried a Ubuntu 10.4 install onto a Dell Inspiron 2650.

After instructing it to boot from CD, I was into the installation process (using a USB mouse to click on the buttons). When it came time to put in my user name, etc. I found that the keyboard did not work. I double checked with the keyboard (USA Standard) part of the installation and confirmed that the keyboard was not able to type any characters in the practice field Ubuntu provided.

I backed out of the install process, and, instead of trying to install Linux as the sole OS, had Ubuntu display the sample Operating System. I then opened the open source word processing program and again confirmed that the keyboard did nothing.

Finally, I ejected the CD, and let the computer boot to XP. The keyboard worked just fine.

My Linux experience has certainly not gotten off to a good start.

What now?

jerrrys
March 29th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I do not own one so hard for me to say, but got some hits on keyboard issues here:

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142:u-ocqbntw_o&q=Dell+Inspiron+2650+keyboard&sa=Search&cof=FORID:9

If you find something that looks like it would work, but you don't understand. Post back with a link.