PDA

View Full Version : Does Ubuntu 12.10 need a Graphical boot menu?

toogooda
March 29th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Does Ubuntu 12.10 need a Graphical boot menu?

According to the following link the Ubuntu servey stats 75% of Ubuntu users also use windows and less than 5% don't use any other OS.

Does than mean we need to extend Ubuntu's awsome theme to the boot menu also.

Lets not get into a themed Grub2 vs Burg etc just do we need a graphical interface?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/75-of-ubuntu-users-also-use-windows-and-other-fun-stats/

Cheers,

AT

user1397
March 29th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I voted yes because it is certainly one of those things that creates that overall "polished" look that new users are attracted to.

And let's not forget, ubuntu's goal is to attract as many new users as possible so it would make sense they would do this IMO.

Also, with today's computing power, it's not like loading a 640x480 image would slow the startup process much...

angry_johnnie
March 29th, 2012, 05:09 AM
why bother? One gets to see the thing for only a second or two. IŽd rather get to the desktop as soon as possible, with little or no interaction involved.

uRock
March 29th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I have three dual boot machines and none of the family has a problem selecting Windows, nor ubuntu from the grub list. Also, I do not think all of the drivers are loaded at that time, so graphical may be out of the question. Even the Windows dualboot menu is text.

flurospar
March 29th, 2012, 05:28 AM
A graphical menu has the possibility to look great if the devs put graphics that are consistent with the rest of the theming in Ubuntu.

And hence I want a graphical menu.

zombifier25
March 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
The Ubuntu devs should make Grub as themeable as Burg. (Man, Burg themes are really gorgeous)

Bandit
March 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I voted yes because it is certainly one of those things that creates that overall "polished" look that new users are attracted to.

why bother? One gets to see the thing for only a second or two. IŽd rather get to the desktop as soon as possible, with little or no interaction involved.

I am torn, both a valid arguments. I voted no though because I like to watch the start up to see if anything is failing to load.

LowSky
March 29th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I am torn, both a valid arguments. I voted no though because I like to watch the start up to see if anything is failing to load.

You like to watch text, but the average user think something went wrong when the see lines of text flying by that they can read. If it was up to me The nicer things look the better it is overall.

Dry Lips
March 29th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I'd say maybe! As a general rule I like eyecandy, but I don't know enough about the possible downsides of this in order to vote yes or no.

Paqman
March 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Hell yes. It's 2012, we shouldn't have nasty-looking text menus pooping up at boot.

toogooda
March 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM
There are many working Graphical boot options including Grub2 which we are already using so that is not an Issue its a case of should they do it or not?