PDA

View Full Version : A Linux moment

rmcellig
March 28th, 2012, 09:15 PM
First off I want to mention that I have been a died in the wool Mac user since 1988. In my mind, it was the only computer and computer system that mattered. Over the past few months my attitude has been changing since discovering Linux. I am not a programmer or anything like that. Just a user who wants to do computing straightforward with as little intrusion as possible. I am slowly discovering Openbox, Fluxbox and E17 as possible choices I may use on a regular basis. I just have to wrap my head around them but I love the simplicity and minimalistic feel of them. Now with all that ramble out of the way, here is my latest great Linux experience.

I had a Linux moment that I want to share with you. To me, it was a big deal. I was working on my iMac and had to rip a CD. Everything seemed to be going fine until the CD drive slowed down and then stopped. The drive is working fine but I am not sure what happened.

I took the CD and put it in my old (circa 2001) Dell Desktop computer running Ubuntu 10.04. I started Asunder (the CD ripper), and without any problems whatsoever, the CD ripped fine and I was on my way. I spend most of my time now between my two laptops (both running Mint 12), and my old Dell desktop running Ubuntu 10.04. Bottom line is that it works and meets my needs. The expensive iMac is used basically to watch movies and videos and thatís it.

The other thing I love about Linux is that it seems like every day is like Christmas day. So many cool things to learn and explore. I want to try a distro, no problem. Puppy Linux? Openbox? No problem, itís all there for the taking and the learning experience. I love it!!

rg4w
March 28th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Loved that story, Randy. I've had a few moments like that myself, where among all my OSes it's the Linux box that gets the job done.

Linuxratty
March 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Loved that story, Randy. I've had a few moments like that myself, where among all my OSes it's the Linux box that gets the job done.
For me,all I have is Linux...It's really nice.

wolfen69
March 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Great story!

For me,all I have is Linux...It's really nice.
I have windows (because my laptop came with it) but the only time I use it is to flash my phone back to stock config after I screw it up. Other than that, I have no use for it.

Dr. Moreau
March 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Linux has saved my office a few times, reading and converting "damaged" files that Windows couldn't touch.

farrinux
March 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM
Linux is the way to go! If it were not for all the PC outlets selling boxes and laptops with MS on it and people could have a side by side comparison. I think most average users would pick linux. As friend told me when I was looking into linux, It either works or it won't, but if it doesn't YOU can still fix it. That has been true. I have fixed way more problems on my linux boxes than I was ever able too on my windows machines. The documentation, tech help and avid users are what makes it work!
To that end I say a BIG THANKS to you!

rmcellig
March 31st, 2012, 02:37 PM
The documentation, tech help and avid users are what makes it work!
To that end I say a BIG THANKS to you!

I second that as well!!

GMU_DodgyHodgy
March 31st, 2012, 02:41 PM
I had a series of Linux moments 8 years ago that took me away from Windows and brought me to Linux permanently.

Opening files MS Word could not open, setting up home servers easily and securely, finding great replacements for the software stack I had on Windows.

I now have a computer that works the way I want it to - clean and secure, straightforward.

My 73 year old mother uses Linux (2 years now since my Dad died) and she has no problem writing documents for her recipes, using the internet, internet banking, or catching then news.

I have even set up Linux boxes for my wife's accounting firm - again no issues.

It is a great experience.

Bucky Ball
March 31st, 2012, 02:45 PM
@rmcellig;

Listening to chuo.fm right now. Cool!

We have four computers all running Ubuntu. I have Win7 on my laptop, never use it. XP on my desktop which is used for pro-level AV stuff (of which I don't do much of at the mo so never used at the mo), my wife's laptop is Ubuntu only and the other desktop has Ubuntu and XP is used on it for one sudoku game.

Also built a Ubuntu-only box for my mother-in-law which she has been happily using for nearly four years. And Linux is a bit like Christmas everyday. Computing is certainly more fun and exciting (and creative) than it ever got with Windows. ;)

Love your story ...

WasMeHere
March 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hi Randy,

It was nice to read your story :-)

After about two years of dual booting with Windows, I boot only linux now on my main computer. I still have XP in a virtual machine, but use it very seldom nowadays. It is nice to discover and learn new things about linux all the time.

Two recent 'linux moments' for me are

- A linux distro and version plays high definition video very well out of the box (without any tweaking) on my aging computers: Lubuntu Precise beta, 12.04.

- I discovered that it works to move a full installation from one computer to another by simply moving the HDD with several systems installed. From my Windows days I had not expected that to be possible, but encouraged by the discussion in an Ubuntu Forum thread, I cloned my HDD to another one, and it worked almost of out the box. The only thing I had to fix was the graphics driver for 10.04 LTS. So I uninstalled the proprietary driver, and found a new proprietary driver, that works in both computers. The newer systems based on 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04 worked directly without any tweaking at all.

Having fun finding out :-)
Olle

rmcellig
March 31st, 2012, 03:19 PM
Yesterday, I started up one of my test laptops with parted magic and proceeded to delete the /home partition to see what would happen. I hosed my mint installation. I had nothing worth keeping on my home partition anyway. I created a new home partition and reinstalled mint 12. took about 30 minutes for the whole thing to get me back up and running. Now I am doing the mint updates but the bottom line for me is that I had so many options. I could have booted up from my trusty puppy linux CD or usb stick as an example and still be fully functional.

Love it!! It would have taken me way longer to get my iMac back up and running unless i had a bootable cloned usb drive, then it would have been a matter of minutes to get my back back up and running. If I didn't have my imac cloned, it would have been a real pain in the the you know where.

It would be neat if i was able to create a bootable usb drive clone of my linux installation but I don't think this is possible? :(

WasMeHere
March 31st, 2012, 03:36 PM
It would be neat if i was able to create a bootable usb drive clone of my linux installation but I don't think this is possible? :(

I think it is. And if you have no proprietary drivers installed, it should be portable between different computers too. So go ahead and try it :-)

drklunk
March 31st, 2012, 03:43 PM
excellent story, Im sure most of us experienced something similar. when I first switched from Windows I was worried it would be too difficult to get the hang of... four years later I still have fun learning it. just like OP said, feels a lot like Christmas xD