PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need help getting F-spot 0.8.2

donwolfani
March 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM
ok forgive me for being a noob at this as i am very new to ubuntu because i just jumped from mandriva to this distro.
most things i can get working easily enough but on ubuntu 10.04.4 lts i can only get f-spot 0.6 or so to install through the package manager.
when i try the tar.gz from the main f-spot website i keep getting asked for dependancy files and when i google a .deb package for each of them it asks for another dependancy and goes on and on like that.
does anyone have the ability to make/already possess/ know where to find a .deb package for this updated version of f-spot that comes with all dependancies and things?
sorry but i can't use the older version because my database file that i backed up when i left my old distro is set up however they made it in the new f-spot and refuses to load into f-spot 0.6

I know this sounds small but i have over 3000 photos with like over 100 tags i was using to sort them out. and i was only half way or so from being finished organizing after working on them in my spare time over the course of more than a year so no I refuse to start over with the older f-spot and have to redo all this work. pls someone help me quickly I have spent 2 weeks trying to get my machine up and running properly and this is the last thing on my to do list before i can accept any distro of linux i try as working

mörgæs
March 30th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Why did you choose 10.04? In the new releases you get 0.8.2 by default:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/f-spot

donwolfani
April 2nd, 2012, 03:11 AM
because on the website the only other relaese was 11 and it was still saying beta on it on top of the fact that people have told me that ubuntu 11 is having similar problems as mandriva 2011.
to be more specific people have told me that after some update or another to the system itself in the 11 version that instead of booting into any graphical interface you just get a mouse pointer and black screen which is why i left mandriva after spending 2 weeks repeatedly reinstalling and trying everything to get it fixed on mandriva

mörgæs
April 2nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
In spite of what someone has told you, have you tried a live boot of 11.10 on your hardware?

donwolfani
April 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
no i have not yet tried a live cd version, but that's just it, the error does not occur on booting from a cd, it is only after certian updates are installed that it wrecks the os.
truth be told im not even sure that ubuntu has this error the way that mandriva does, but i know that i had to use an old mandriva 2010 disk to get my files back each time.
that disc is now a permanate part of my system rescue kit because if i delete the root and swap partitions and install using that empty space then the old home partition which would otherwise say locked by root can be accessed as long as i install gnome.
basicly the gnome on that disk was one of the old ones that allows a root login, something that kde, and almost any linux distro regardless of having gnome refuses to allow me to do. oh sure i can sudo in the console but that doesn't let me drag and drop files to a back up drive like that disc does hehehehehehe

saphil
April 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
I have been running 11.10 on my HP laptop and it has no major problems.
I am running 12.04LTS on a test server and it is running just fine (and has been since the alpha-flight 2 came out).
Don't believe what we tell you, though. Try it in a Virtual machine or on some knock-around box.

-Wolf

mörgæs
April 4th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Yes, you need to do some more testing. If you have only tried Ubuntu, you should test some of the other members of the family.

donwolfani
April 4th, 2012, 08:04 PM
when i have money i will be buying a new machine to try newer versions on but after literally spending 2 weeks driving back and forth the 6 miles to get to the nearest wifi just to update mandriva so i could take it home and watch it refuse to boot, and after staying up till 2 am in the morning each night i tried to fix it, i just want something that works without giving me any grief and so far ubuntu 10 is working perfect, i took a gamble and even have had fspot fully updated by allowing extra sources for package to be used for updates just that one night, and as long as everything i need is working im in no hurry to go back to not having a working machine if something goes wrong in an update.

however i do thank you all for your help and advice, i believe i have found a new prefered os in ubuntu and it's helpful community

mörgæs
April 4th, 2012, 09:20 PM
You don't need to buy more hardware. If it supports Ubuntu 10.04, it will also support L/Xubuntu 11.10.

donwolfani
April 4th, 2012, 10:42 PM
no i need new hardware because one of the ram slot is burnt out on this laptop, and idk what else is burnt out or about to fail hardware wise.
don't buy anything that says toshiba on it folks. especially not anything that comes with windows vista installed ugh so glad i got rid of that os