PDA

View Full Version : poll: too many polls?

ronlybonly
June 12th, 2006, 06:34 AM
This one is pretty self-explanatory... and a bit ironic. Okay, REALLY ironic. ;-)

aysiu
June 12th, 2006, 06:36 AM
No. If you don't like polls, ignore them. They even have a little icon next to the thread indicating the thread contains a poll.

In fact--no offense to you personally--but I think there are too many threads that ask poll questions but do not include an actual poll.

So there's no easy way to figure out what people think--you just end up with a 20-page thread with people saying "Yes" or "No" in their posts.

Who's going to read through that whole thread and tally up the responses?

Edit: I guess a poll got added to this thread. Good stuff.

Christmas
June 12th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I like polls, the statistics for different kind of stuff always looked interesting for me. And if polls are for a relevant subject, they help a lot (for example the forums poll, what kind of audio player is most often used etc).

KiwiNZ
June 12th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I must admit I was thinking there were too many polls. I checked into the Cafe this afternoon and about 60% of the threads on th efirst 2 pages were polls.

A great many of the polls are flawed and will have serious statistical skewswhich would render them un- usefull. IMHO

Perfect Storm
June 12th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I don't mind polls, as long it ignites a debate or a discussion. But mindless poll like 'Do you like Pepsi?' yes or no, is pain in the rectum.

Polls are also good if the spring from a big event or discussion which seems to effect all of us.

WildTangent
June 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Aysiu, I think you're a little too biased to be answering this poll/thread ;)

-Wild

BWF89
June 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I like polls, but sometimes the option that I agree with isn't listed.

23meg
June 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
A great many of the polls are flawed and will have serious statistical skewswhich would render them un- usefull. IMHOI agree; a lot of them can be misleading because of that. And polls shouldn't be referred to in order to "prove" one's point based on the popularity of a particular choice; that's often very misleading as well.

aysiu
June 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM
As long as the sample isn't skewed, I don't see why it wouldn't support one's point, especially if a lot of people responded to the poll.

fuscia
June 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM
i hate polls. there is always a choice left off (and it always seems to be the choice of the most sensitive members). i don't think polls foster (or, is it 'fester'?) discussion. in fact, i think they neutralize discussion. i prefer surveys.

cstudent
June 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I like fishing poles.

Kernel Sanders
June 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Crappy polls do no more harm than crappy threads, so whats with the whining? :confused:

beercz
June 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM
This poll is the best poll (so far at least)!

fuscia
June 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Crappy polls do no more harm than crappy threads, so whats with the whining? :confused:

good threads > good polls