PDA

View Full Version : No mention of Linux on Ubuntu site

geovino
March 28th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Why is Ubuntu not mentioning that its Linux on Ubuntu.com ?

Ubuntu is Linux. Why not promote it?

d2btoo
March 28th, 2012, 01:08 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu

sffvba[e0rt
March 28th, 2012, 01:09 PM
At the end of the day Ubuntu is a Unix-like operating systems built on top of the Linux kernel... and the target audience of Ubuntu doesn't know what that means and doesn't care.

Ubuntu.com promotes Ubuntu, which is what it should do.

Just my 2c...

Paqman
March 28th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Why is Ubuntu not mentioning that its Linux on Ubuntu.com ?

Ubuntu is Linux. Why not promote it?

Same reason Android isn't promoted as Linux. Very few people have heard of Linux (and a large subset of those wouldn't care if you told them), while for the few that have heard of it, most are under the misconception that it's "hard to use" and "just for geeks".

Ubuntu don't hide the fact that it's Linux, but they have a strong enough brand of their own that they don't need to confuse things by bringing in another different brand name with potentially negative connotations.

Anyway, who cares? Linux itself doesn't need to be promoted to the general public to get devs and funding for development, so nothing is lost.

haqking
March 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
MacOSX stems from Unix so why isnt it promoting Unix.

Windows 7 is built on the Windows NT Kernel so why isnt it promoting Windows NT.

Ubuntu is a Linux distro, it promotes Linux by promoting itself.

Linux is not a company or a product, it is a kernel built by a community and then adopted by companies who promote their own product built around the Linux technology....it is all Linux.

Peace

dpny
March 28th, 2012, 03:06 PM
MacOSX stems from Unix so why isnt it promoting Unix.

Because it makes RMS cry.

Gone fishing
March 28th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Also http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/ubuntu-and-debian I don't think Ubuntu hides it's Linux connections. Ubuntu is an OS and doesn't need to make a show out of being Linux; Ubuntu being the best it can be will promote Linux in general just consider the Distro hopping that's discussed on the forums.

However

the target audience of Ubuntu doesn't know what that means and doesn't care. I don't think this is true most Ubuntu users are higher level computer users (at least higher level than many Windows users) and aware of Linux, my daughter for instance knows she is using a Linux system.

MacOSX stems from Unix so why isn’t it promoting Unix.

Windows 7 is built on the Windows NT Kernel so why isn’t it promoting Windows NT.

Apple only promote itself and I would hope Canonical and Ubuntu have a more ethical relationship with the open-source community than Apple.

Doesn't MS still mention NT technology? Anyway a Windows kernel is a Windows kernel

haqking
March 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Apple only promote itself and I would hope Canonical and Ubuntu have a more ethical relationship with the open-source community than Apple.

Doesn't MS still mention NT technology? Anyway a Windows kernel is a Windows kernel

I was being sarcastic.

And it is a NT kernel and not all windows OS are built on it so not all kernels are equal, and the NT kernel was designed by Dave cutler from DEC who developed VMS for VAX systems but MS dont promote DEC either ;-)

My point was there is no need to promote Linux, Ubuntu is Linux.

forrestcupp
March 28th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I agree with two points made by other people.

1) They don't hide that they are Linux based. Pages from their web site mentioning Linux have already been posted here.

2) Most normal users don't give a rat's backside what a kernel is. All they care about is how to check their Facebook and emails. Ubuntu is good for advanced users, but they also want to be good for these types of people.

I don't think this is true most Ubuntu users are higher level computer users (at least higher level than many Windows users) and aware of Linux, my daughter for instance knows she is using a Linux system.

Just because their user base is made up of higher level computer users doesn't mean that those people are their target. It's obvious that their target is the common user, unlike a lot of other distros. You can tell this by the fact that they made it more of a pain to find a console. ;)

dpny
March 28th, 2012, 03:34 PM
2) Most normal users don't give a rat's backside what a kernel is. All they care about is how to check their Facebook and emails. Ubuntu is good for advanced users, but they also want to be good for these types of people.

I'd go further: most normal users don't know--or care--what a kernel is.

Dragonbite
March 28th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I'd go further: most normal users don't know--or care--what a kernel is.
Yes they do... it's that think that, when heated, becomes popcorn!:popcorn:

samalex
March 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
This has been the big debate for YEARS, whether it's <Distro Name>, Linux, Gnu/Linux, or a combination of. It's like I don't mow my yard with a 'briggs and stratton' mower, I use a Craftsman lawn mower which just happens to have a briggs and stratton engine. Linux is the core of the OS so yes it is important, but the OS is the sum of all its parts with Linux being just one part of many. And other than Linux junkies like most of us, many people using Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc don't care what kernel is used.

I definitely want Linux to be recognized, but it doesn't have to be in the naming convention of the OS or plastered all over the place. Linux as a brand has been overused and the view of it has been skewed by so many over the years. Those who love it do so rightfully, and those who hate it have probably never used it... so the best way to wash the slate clean for any Linux-based OS is to not throw "We're Using Linux" down potential customers' throats.

Just my two cents -

Sam

forrestcupp
March 28th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Yes they do... it's that think that, when heated, becomes popcorn!:popcorn:

Especially after the recent findings that popcorn has more antioxidants than fruits and veggies! (http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2012/03/26/chemists-popcorn%E2%80%99s-antioxidants-top-fruits-veggies/) :)

Erik1984
March 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Don't mention the Linux! :p

rg4w
March 28th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Shouldn't it be called Ubuntu Debian GNU Linux to keep everyone happy? :)

Not that that's a mouthful or anything...