PDA

View Full Version : Developing kernels....for Android.

Linuxperiment
March 28th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Hey everyone, I'm not sure where I should post this so I figured I'd ask in a general forum in an attempt to get an answer. I want to develop/compile a custom kernel for Android in Ubuntu 11.10, but I'm not sure what packages/tools I need. Assuming I have the default Ubuntu 11.10 installation, what tools/packages would I need to start compiling them? I've read a bunch of tutorials but they all run older Ubuntus and Ubuntu 11.10 seems to be a vastly different beast than them (just based on the way it runs and looks)

If there's any other resources people could link me to, it would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if this doesn't belong here.

kevdog
March 28th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I'd check over on xda. That's what I did -- when I was compiling kernels. I quickly found out I really didn't know jack crap about compiling kernels and if I really wanted to do it right, it would take a lot of time and reading. I took the easy road and and just gave up!

Linuxperiment
March 28th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I'd check over on xda. That's what I did -- when I was compiling kernels. I quickly found out I really didn't know jack crap about compiling kernels and if I really wanted to do it right, it would take a lot of time and reading. I took the easy road and and just gave up!

Ahhh, I have checked at XDA, but I'm afraid to ask there because it is slightly intimidating over there. :(

I was hoping to get it outside of there...haha.

coutts99
March 28th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I used to be into this, just get the Android SDK, it includes everything you need to compile your own kernel.

Then grab some source and start playing :)

Linuxperiment
March 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I used to be into this, just get the Android SDK, it includes everything you need to compile your own kernel.

Then grab some source and start playing :)

Ahhh, do you have any resources/tips for someone who's just starting to get into it?

coutts99
March 28th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I meant Android NDK

This might be a good start -:

http://www.robmcghee.com/android/compiling-an-android-kernel/

Just try it and see if you have any issues :)

knight2000
March 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM
+1 for xda. Intimidating? Possibly, but the guys there often know alot about what they are doing. So it's one of the best communities to get information from. Alternatively I would suggest looking at the programming forum on this site. If you can get a group of people who are also interested in learning about this then it might be helpful because you'll be able to share information and links. Android is definitely a good platform to be learning at the moment as it is really making a large dent in the market and there are plenty of free tools available for all aspects of development. Android is available on so many devices, from the premium supertablets to superphones and budget mini smartphones, so there is plenty of marketspace to choose from.

forrestcupp
March 28th, 2012, 01:23 PM
What is the benefit of compiling an Android kernel?

knight2000
March 28th, 2012, 02:28 PM
What is the benefit of coming on a forum and questioning the benefits? Maybe he enjoys tinkering or maybe he wants to learn about technology. More power to him. He shows interest in something, so I think the best thing for the community to do is give him useful leads and information.

Oh and the benefit, being able to tweak things can help you improve performance on the device. Some of the roms I've downloaded improve speed, battery life and signal.

forrestcupp
March 28th, 2012, 02:52 PM
What is the benefit of coming on a forum and questioning the benefits? Maybe he enjoys tinkering or maybe he wants to learn about technology. More power to him. He shows interest in something, so I think the best thing for the community to do is give him useful leads and information.

Oh and the benefit, being able to tweak things can help you improve performance on the device. Some of the roms I've downloaded improve speed, battery life and signal.

What is the benefit of bashing me for asking a simple question? I realize that it may have looked like I was implying that it's stupid to compile an Android kernel, but I really wanted to know.

Oh, and thanks for editing your post and answering my question.

Linuxperiment
March 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM
What is the benefit of bashing me for asking a simple question? I realize that it may have looked like I was implying that it's stupid to compile an Android kernel, but I really wanted to know.

Oh, and thanks for editing your post and answering my question.

Yes, I am planning on learning how to compile a kernel for Android because my specific phone originally ran on "HTC Sense" and I need to to be better compatible with AOSP (original Google Android)