PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome and big screens

luismgl
March 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM
So I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed on my laptop and usually I have it plugged to a 21' screen since that laptop is not that portable anymore and in both upper and lower panels, the icons (trash bin, clock/calendar, etc) that should be on the rightmost side of the screen, are somewhere near the middle, is there a way to change this?

thank you

cortman
March 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM
If your monitor is plugged into HDMI or DVI, simply change the appropriate word-

xrandr --output VGA1 --primary

Run in terminal and see if that fixes it. And if you want the laptop monitor to be off-

xrandr --output LVDS1 --off

luismgl
March 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the reply, itīs actually plugged via VGA can I use that anyway? Also thanks for the extra info on turning off the laptop display :)

cortman
March 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM
The command is written for VGA, so yes. You can find more info on xrandr (there are a lot of cool display things you can do with xrandr) by running

man xrandr

luismgl
March 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks, got this solved by updating to 11.04, although I don't really like the new unity.

cortman
March 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM
OK, please mark the thread [SOLVED] using the thread tools in the upper right.
Did the xrandr command work?
If you don't like Unity, there's always XFCE, LXDE, KDE, Gnome, etc...

luismgl
March 27th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I actually updated before getting a chance to even see your reply, thanks again for the help though :).

I will give a try other environments, although Unity seems to just need some adaptation time, I might have been too quick to judge.