PDA

View Full Version : I'm annoyed with Gmail

kevdog
March 27th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I've been trying to setup a lot of filters with Gmails (filtering to labels), and I have to say -- the gmail interface for this is the most frustrating, god awful example of everything not to do for this task. I used to think back in the day it was a lot easier, but now its much more difficult.

lisati
March 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM
My gripe, historically speaking, and which I won't go into great detail about, is with Yahoo (and to a lesser extend Hotmail) and the way they handle spam. This was what prompted me to look into setting up my own email server and webmail for it. :D

user1397
March 27th, 2012, 08:01 AM
My gripe, historically speaking, and which I won't go into great detail about, is with Yahoo (and to a lesser extend Hotmail) and the way they handle spam. This was what prompted me to look into setting up my own email server and webmail for it. :DI've been thinking about doing this, may I ask what software did you use for setting up your email server/webmail?

samalex
March 27th, 2012, 02:41 PM
For literally a decade or more I've wanted to collocate a server for mail and WWW, but though it's cheaper now than ever before I just don't have the time or resources to get it going unfortunately. That's the best option for anyone wanting to roll their own box and have complete control of their environment. Personally I'd love to setup a server with Zimbra for mail, but again comes down to time and resources.

I've used Gmail since their first month of launch in 2004, and though it's good at times it still leaves LOTS to be desired. I've looked at others, but for the simple fact that every message I've sent and received is on their server and everyone has that addy I'll probably stuck around for a while.

CharlesA
March 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I've been trying to setup a lot of filters with Gmails (filtering to labels), and I have to say -- the gmail interface for this is the most frustrating, god awful example of everything not to do for this task. I used to think back in the day it was a lot easier, but now its much more difficult.
I agree.

I use a client with gmail myself, and use that to deal with sorting.

Lucradia
March 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM

You can still change to HTML >_>

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html&zy=h

then make sure to set it as your default view.

PapaGary
March 27th, 2012, 06:56 PM
As I have done for years.

wolfen69
March 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I use gmail. I read email. I delete email. What else is there?

warm cardigan
March 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I bought a domain name and a shared hosting plan, then set up an email address on it and use Horde for webmail, plus a backup Lavabit account to be safe in case the server goes down. I'm very happy with this setup, and it gives me a chance to educate my Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo-using friends on the benefits of plain text email :)

lisati
March 27th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I've been thinking about doing this, may I ask what software did you use for setting up your email server/webmail?

Different things work best for different people. Some people swear by packages like Zimbra and Citadel for helping with email. There is usually some learning to do.

Here goes with the short version of how I have things setup. I use a dedicated machine on my home network for hosting webpages and helping with email. For the email side of things, I use Postfix as the MTA, Apache (with some help from PHP) for dishing out webpages, together with Squirrelmail and Roundcube for webmail faciilities. There's also things like domain names, port forwarding, arranging POP3 and/or imap access where required, and spam prevention to think about.

forrestcupp
March 27th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I agree.

This is the best way to handle it. Just use Thunderbird and set your filters in that. If you set Gmail up for IMAP, you could access your emails in Thunderbird from as many computers as you wish.