PDA

View Full Version : Nubuntu: Moving to Ubuntu has never been easier!

Trab
June 12th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Nubuntu is a project (currently in Pre-Alpha Stages) that hopes to create an easier way for New users to switch to Ubuntu.

(Note: This Project used to be called aUbuntu, and that post can be found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186282), but it has been renamed and replanned)

I am currently looking into how to edit the InstallCD, planning the system, figuring out the scripts that are needed, appearance, and how to bring it all togther.

the Nubuntu Website can be found here:
http://h4x0rztrab.googlepages.com/
(currently using googlepages because it was simple, free, and i just wanted to try it out. this project will probably be moved to my homepage when it becomes more advanced. Intersted in helping Webmaster? e-mail me! i have the hosting, just not the energy right now to make the site!)

If you would be intersted in helping, please e-mail me H4x0rzTrab@gmail.com
currently looking for:
Webmaster
technical help of any kind (any knowledge on how to edit the install disc especially)
artists! I want Nubuntu to have a taste of its own, and i want it to appeal to new users.

How Nubntu is different from Ubuntu:

Built off of the regular Ubuntu installCD as its core, Nubuntu implements many features to help make it easy to switch to:

First Boot
Upon First boot of the CD, a documentation (hopefully easy to read, simple, informative, and friendly looking) will pop-up explaining these things

the difference between Linux and Windows
The difference between Distros
What makes Ubuntu special
What Makes Nubuntu easy to use

Install Options
The install options will be kept quite simple (possibly allowing more advanced options if requested)

Replace Windows Completely (could be used as a way to 'preload' Nubuntu on a machine, will completely format hard-drive)
Keep both Nubuntu and Windows
Repair/Upgrade a Nubuntu Install

This is obviously going to have some kinks, and i am open for ideas.

after install basic "What you need to know" explination
in this documentation (hopefully inviting, useful, and easy enough for users to understand) things like Sudo, synaptic, debs, how to run programs, how to install programs, etc will be explained. (here is where new users can help! what are common issues you have had when first moving to ubuntu? wat else should be explained on this list, so new users will be able to use there machines?)

first use scripts!
some scripts will be implemented here, along with explinations, to make gnome easier. it will ask weather or not users need multipul logins, (if no, auto-login will be enabled, if yes, the happy-gone-with browser login screen will be implimended, its similar to the XP welcome screen... also new users can be created at this step)
it will then customize the desktop to a pre-determined Newb friendly setup, and finally, it will run an explination of AutoMatix, then run automatix itself, so users can get some of those difficult tasks done easily.

the name was changed from aUbuntu to Nubuntu when users became confused about what it does.

this project is in a very basic "Pre-Alpha" stage, i am looking for coding help and ideas.
please post ur suggestions!

glotz
June 12th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Are you aware of the easy ubuntu project? http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/

Personally I think that making good up-to-date wikipedia entries is the way to go about this all, but surely not every end-user or developer will agree... Especially technophobes who get a rash when they hear the word wiki and almost have a heart attack should someone mention reading a help of some kind or editing <gasp> a text file!! OMG!

PS. Been toying around with the word nubuntu myself... It's hilarious, agreed... :)

Trab
June 12th, 2006, 04:02 AM
easyubuntu seems to be similar to automatix.
while more advanced/midranged users might find it simple to use, if i gave an Ubuntu Install CD to my Phsyics teacher, and told him to read the wiki and install easyubuntu, he would probably fail me from the class for making his life a living hell.

Nubuntu (yes, tis a clever word no? it wasnt my invention tho, someone suggested it in the aUbuntu post) is not a script to be implimended after the fact. rather, it is a slew of scripts, documentation that should be easy to read, and preconfigurations/simple options that are implimented in a CD that a new user could easily figure out.
personally, i plan to test Nubuntu on my siblings (little brothers and sister, who have various skills with windows based machines), my step-mother, my father (Who is fairly knowledgable on windows, but knows nothing of linux), my physics teacher (this is my favorite person to test it on, as it is he who partially inspired my desire to make this project), and anyone else i can.

Nubuntu will hopefully have a release cycle close to Ubuntu release cycles (obviously this first one will be a TAD behind, i wont get started really for a few weeks, finals are coming up, and i have virtually no tech support on this project yet), and will possibly be made for Kubuntu as well (im not sure about xubuntu, those who want the XFCE interface, are probably to advanced for it to be use useful to them, but anyone who wants to make it, id be more than happy to share notes)

any ideas/suggestions/complaints/offers to help are GREATLY apprecated

EDIT: Any Mods who read this, if you could PLEASE rename this post to be Nubuntu (i forgot a U!) i would apprecate it!

DigitalDuality
June 12th, 2006, 04:10 AM
d

Trab
June 12th, 2006, 04:14 AM
you are aware of the nUbuntu project right? Live cd focused on networking tools, built off ubuntu...

just saying, the name is one "u" off.
damn it, no, i didnt.... well frick.
i still think Nubuntu sounds good. (Btw its supposed to have the U i just screwed up)
besides, one is nUbuntu (networking ubuntu) the other is Nubuntu (N00b-untu)
ta-da.
:-/

purdy hate machine
June 12th, 2006, 08:12 AM
The name could cause confusion; I assumed this thread was about nUbuntu.
http://www.nubuntu.org/

vinodis
June 12th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I completely switched to windows because of the UbuntuPlus (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183933&page=4) than Automatix.
Becuase Automatix requires an active Internet connection and the Automatix Offline CD for Dapper is never updated.

Rhapsody
June 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
It sounds like an interesting idea, but the name is very similar to nUbuntu. Aside from the confusion it would cause, it's simply not polite to use the name of an existing project. Back to the drawing board for that bit I guess.

Mathias-K
June 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I think the main Ubuntu distribution should be made more first-boot-friendly, not split up.

I'm all in for a welcome screen that can help the new user that has just taken the plunge into the world of non working multimedia files etc.

I like your wish to make Ubuntu more user friendly, but I dislike the way the project would split things up.

Rhapsody
June 12th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I think the plan is for an unofficial fork of the project that would be updated alongside each release (so the first one would be planned for sometime slightly after Edgy Eft). If it works out, the changes could be merged back into the Ubuntu and the official varients. That's the beauty of the GPL.

Trab
June 12th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I think the plan is for an unofficial fork of the project that would be updated alongside each release (so the first one would be planned for sometime slightly after Edgy Eft). If it works out, the changes could be merged back into the Ubuntu and the official varients. That's the beauty of the GPL.
exactly.
i have to say, im quite suprised at the negative feeback im getting.
in another post on the forum, the majority said they would use it, or knew someone who would.
so maybe things are unclear.

the reason this project is a split off Ubuntu, is the things it does are not currently integrated into ubuntu.
if they are planned to be, i would be more than happy to help with that, but since this is new user friendly (Whereas ubuntu doesnt want to become so simplistic it ticks off regular users). This project is similar to Kubuntu/xUbuntu, in the fact that it is built completely off of the old system, but has pre-set options. Ubuntu only has 1 installer disc, so it cant allow u to pick from all these options the way things like Madriva can.

the Nubuntu name thing is rather a shame. im not sure wat im going to do about it, but please stop missing the forest for the trees. names, and other such little things, can be taken care of later, the idea is to allow more users to become free from windows. i dont know about you, but the thought that ppl have no other option since they dont understand technology displeases me.

Nubuntu is the name of this thread, and thus far the project until i bother to rename it. it will probably be renamed before release to not offend the nUbuntu project.

Mathias-K
June 12th, 2006, 11:31 PM
exactly.
i have to say, im quite suprised at the negative feeback im getting.
in another post on the forum, the majority said they would use it, or knew someone who would.
so maybe things are unclear.

the reason this project is a split off Ubuntu, is the things it does are not currently integrated into ubuntu.
if they are planned to be, i would be more than happy to help with that, but since this is new user friendly (Whereas ubuntu doesnt want to become so simplistic it ticks off regular users). This project is similar to Kubuntu/xUbuntu, in the fact that it is built completely off of the old system, but has pre-set options. Ubuntu only has 1 installer disc, so it cant allow u to pick from all these options the way things like Madriva can.

I love the fact that you're planning to contribute to the community, I just don't agree with the form that has been proposed, for a couple of reasons:

1: Simplicity
There is already a growing number of Ubuntu projects. Kubuntu and Xubuntu as well as Edubuntu are born different than main Ubuntu. I fear that introducing New/Nu/Newb versions will just spread confusion.

2: Ubuntu's commitment
Around the web, Ubuntu is known as the Linux distribution for human beings, ie non UNIX-gurus and CLI-hackers, more or less flatteringly called "the easy desktop/newbie's desktop". If this is to hold true - Ubuntu must be made easy, not another family member.

Imagine a fictional distribution SecurityLinux that was, not surprisingly, known around the web for it's security - and then it has an unofficial forked version, that was actually the secure one. I think this is an odd situation.

I believe that because Ubuntu has made a name of itself by promoting ease of use and new user friendlyness (I came from WinXP-->Breezy too), the official members of the Ubuntu family has to be the ones that are friendly, not the official ones.

As a critic of your proposal I would like to thank you for raising the point here on the forums. I think first boot usability and infinitely easy and quick information for the new user is absolutely critical for converting WinXP users. I know many, including myself, who felt that booting Ubuntu for the first time was quite a cold turkey :)

I think a welcome screen has already been proposed for Edgy, and Matt Zimmerman has posted some things quite similar it on the Wiki and in Launchpad --> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/common-customizations

Trab
June 12th, 2006, 11:52 PM
if you burned Ubuntu to CD and gave it to your father in law, would he be able to install it? how about your grandmother?
the fact that it is a seperate project really doesnt bother me, i dont think it will be offically supported, and shouldnt be that confusing, its Ubuntu, with the things i mentioned before as a getting started thing.

Those who call Ubuntu a newbie's desktop must have never used Mandrake or Lindows. Ubuntu is easy to use because of the community and stability. and to be honest, who cares? i mean this arguement sounds like "the big boy on the playground called me stupid". we like our distro, its good, its the most popular, so buzz off.

until Ubuntu offers the things ive proposed or something that does the job just as well, this will be helpful.

and to be honest, if no one uses it, i dont care, i plan on giving it to my friends and family, and anyone else who needs to be freed from vista.

vista is coming soon, and it cant be replaced easily, its bloated, slow, expensive, and just wrong. so im trying to make something that is almost as easy to use as a preloaded OS, so ppl can enjoy ubuntu easily.

this project is built off of Ubuntu. some might consider that Ubuntu was built off of Debian, and eventually replaced it, but i prefer to view this project as something like Kubuntu, or Automatix. its another option for ubuntu, and its there to make the whole ordeal easier.

Mathias-K
June 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
if you burned Ubuntu to CD and gave it to your father in law, would he be able to install it? how about your grandmother?

No, they would not. But that's not my point. I agree with you that Ubuntu should be made in a way that anyone should be able to install it.

Those who call Ubuntu a newbie's desktop must have never used Mandrake or Lindows. Ubuntu is easy to use because of the community and stability. and to be honest, who cares? i mean this arguement sounds like "the big boy on the playground called me stupid". we like our distro, its good, its the most popular, so buzz off.

Why Mandrake and Lindows and not Mandriva and Linspire? Is that a harsh attitude or am i misunderstanding something?

until Ubuntu offers the things ive proposed or something that does the job just as well, this will be helpful.

It will, and all I have said is that I don't see it as a permanent, ideal solution.

vista is coming soon, and it cant be replaced easily, its bloated, slow, expensive, and just wrong. so im trying to make something that is almost as easy to use as a preloaded OS, so ppl can enjoy ubuntu easily.

How do you know that it will be slow? MS could speed things up. Have you tried the public beta?

some might consider that Ubuntu was built off of Debian, and eventually replaced it, but i prefer to view this project as something like Kubuntu, or Automatix. its another option for ubuntu, and its there to make the whole ordeal easier.

Debian has not been replaced by anyone. It is still standing strong in terms of stability and such.

Don't take it wrong, but I agree with Matt Zimmerman. The ideal situation would be if Automatix, Nubuntu and all the other 3rd party help programs / forks were integrated into Ubuntu.

disturbed1
June 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
the fact that it is a seperate project really doesnt bother me, i dont think it will be offically supported, and shouldnt be that confusing, its Ubuntu, with the things i mentioned before as a getting started thing.
If you gave your father in law any OS would he be able to install it? Windows XP ask no more/less questions than the Ubuntu installer. Partition the HD, Name, ......

Those who call Ubuntu a newbie's desktop must have never used Mandrake or Lindows. Ubuntu is easy to use because of the community and stability. and to be honest, who cares? i mean this arguement sounds like "the big boy on the playground called me stupid". we like our distro, its good, its the most popular, so buzz off. Why would you want to turn Ubuntu into Linspire? Just because there is talks of including the CNR service (or CNR like) doesn't mean it has to go that route.

until Ubuntu offers the things ive proposed or something that does the job just as well, this will be helpful. Click on System see it? Right there? It says help!!!!:razz::razz: Seriously, that's what the help system is for. If you feel like something isn't covered in that documentation, then contribute in that way. If you feel the help system is lacking, then by improving it, all of Ubuntu would benefit. I've scanned through it a few times, it seemed to cover everything you listed in your first post, and then some. The help docs even go on to help people install all of the software that the other forks of Ubuntu do.

If you want to make something easier for people, offering more choices is not the way. Right now one has to chose to download Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, and then there are 2 versions (Live GUI Install, Text/alternate install) that's 8 choices right now do we need more? And then there is auto easy do everything hold your hand and wipe your butt :lol::mrgreen: and 99% of that is already in the Ubuntu repos too (minus w32codecs, libdvdcss can be installed by reading the documentation that comes with libdvdplay) Sad it's all covered in the help docs. Maybe Ubuntu could have Yelp open up on first start, or an oggtheora encoded animation like the take a tour of Windows on your first start.

this project is built off of Ubuntu. some might consider that Ubuntu was built off of Debian, and eventually replaced it, but i prefer to view this project as something like Kubuntu, or Automatix. its another option for ubuntu, and its there to make the whole ordeal easier.
Replaced Debian? So.... Ubuntu is the one of the most widely used stable server installs right? Ubuntu filled a gap that Debian didn't have, that was an easy to use desktop with fresh and stable software. I look at Ubuntu = Debian like Fedora = Red Hat. Red Hat and Debain are old and stable, while Ubuntu and Fedora are cutting edge.

purdy hate machine
June 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I’m of the opinion that an add-on CD would be more beneficial to new users as opposed to yet another flavour of *buntu. Ideally containing the option to install multimedia codec’s, popular apps which are not included on the original installation (for those without internet connection) and some helpful tutorials and how to guides for the new user.

Trab
June 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Those were examples.
Ubuntu doesnt replace debian, just as im not trying to replace Ubuntu, just make it easier.

when i said mandrake and lindows, they were also examples, yes they are now called Mandrivia and Linspire.

i dont want to turn ubuntu into linspire. i want to help spread it. i didnt say giving a WinXP installCD to my father-in-law (which was just an example) would be any easier than giving him a Ubuntu CD, i want to make giving him a Nubuntu CD dead simple to install.

yes, there are alot of options, but when a new user decides to install Ubuntu, they are willing to try something new. when one is trying to help someone else transistion from windows to ubuntu, that person might not have a clue, so making it EASIER will make it BETTER.

Nubuntu is ubuntu with scripts. it is not to replace it, and i hope that its options will eventually be integrated into ubuntu, but as of right now they are not. after the first run scripts, it is effectively the same system as Ubuntu, so it shouldnt be that confusing. and if someone accidently downloads nubuntu instead of ubuntu, they shouldnt be disappointed, as they can undo everything afterwards anyways.

Mathias-K
June 14th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Those were examples.
Ubuntu doesnt replace debian, just as im not trying to replace Ubuntu, just make it easier.

I don't think a kind of Debian-->Ubuntu, Ubuntu-->Nubuntu analogy is justified. Ubuntu gives you something Debian does not, while Nubuntu is "just" (don't take me wrong) Ubuntu with a script feature, that perhaps will be a feature in the coming release.

Nubuntu is ubuntu with scripts. it is not to replace it, and i hope that its options will eventually be integrated into ubuntu, but as of right now they are not.

As i mentioned before, the consensus seems to be that the scripts will be closely integrated into the main Ubuntu.

Don't you think the ideal solution would be if the main Ubuntu desktop CD had the level of easiness that Nubuntu promises?

Johnsie
June 15th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I think Trab is on the right lines.... Ununtu can be tricky for new users to install. It's especially strange when it comes to installing a dual boot for the first time. I dont think there needs tobe a new distro though.

Ubuntu just need to get the finger out and make the installer much, much simpler for new users. I'm a software engineer and found everything ok on my first go except for the partitioner. It took me a few goes to get the right settings for that and the whole time I was worried that I'd wipe the owners Windows partition.

The people at Ubuntu really need to understand that the average computer knows very little about how data storage actually works, especially partitioning.

There needs to be an option in the official Ubuntu installer that asks whether the user wants to do a beginners installation or an advanced installation.

Everything needs to be clear and simple (Keep it simple stupid) and then Ubuntu truly can be "Linux for Humans"

Ubuntu is great, fast, stable and simple once it's installed but the installer is one of Ubuntus biggest downfalls and needs to be a priority for the next release.

Maybe a good way of getting a decent installer made would be by getting a random group of people, asking them to install Ubuntu on a machine and taking notes on what problems they had. Kinda like a survey with people from all ages who may or may not be good with computers.

Trab
June 15th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Mathias-K, i agree with u.
these should be integrated into ubuntu, but as of right now are not, and some of them, im sure will NEVER be integrated (because Ubuntu is wat Ubuntu is)

this isnt a seperate distro, just a script. like automatix, on it comes on the CD.
im sure i came off on the wrong foot, i agree with wat ur saying mostly, but didnt think you understood wat i was trying to do.

my finals end next week, then i will begin the project, hopefully having a release in july. users can enjoy it, and if they dont want to, they dont have too (i like how that one works :-P).
users can share nubuntu with other who are new to linux, and hopefully it will work for them.

i dont think all of these things will be integrated into edgy, so ill probably be making a release for that, with anything i feel should be added.
and hopefully after that, all of the things im suggesting will be integrated into full ubuntu.

cheers,
Trab

PS. anyone with a second hard drive, i will EVENTUALLY be looking for beta testers...

jvictor
July 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM
My two cents -:

Install the barebone system and at the first boot present the user with a system configuration utility that lets them install codecs and other utils like gtkam, adobe reader , gnomebaker, mp3 player etc.

This can be presented as a wizard that tells whats going to be done and then taking them to a tabbed interface which may tabs Multimedia, Office Utils, Accessories, Games etc.

Here the user selects what all he wants to use and selects "install " the stuff is d/l-ded thru apt and installed on the system.

Here are my must have apps

System Core
------------
Display drivers (Nvidia , ATI )
Possible wireless and NIC drivers ??
[plz add on here whatever s relevant]

Multimedia
----------
Exaile music player (its far far better than rhythmbox)
GTKpod
MPlayer
Non free Codecs
DVD Rippers
CD Rippers

Internet
--------
Gaim 2.0 or latest version
Amsn

Amule
GTK Gnutella
Bittorent / some other popular client

[Or some one stop solution that has support for all these networks ]

Swiftfox browser
Popular firefox extensions

Accessories
-----------
Gnomebaker
GTKam

Office
------
Adobe reader
[fill in other stuff i just use that so I cant think of others ]

Programming
------------

Sun Java
Ruby

Eclipse IDE
SPE IDE for python

choices are innumerable here; Again too many choices will create confusion, so choose the best and lets take this lovely distro to the next level .

stani
July 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Read my howto install latest wxPython & SPE (Feature rich Python IDE) (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=218001&highlight=wxpython).

Adamant1988
July 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM
as far as I can tell a 'welcome center' and plenty of documentation is in the works for edgy eft. Including a way to get codecs and drivers without the use of Automatix, Bumps, or Easy Ubuntu. Nubuntu will be out dated if the only thing it offers is scripts to make life easier.

GarethMB
July 18th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Just a naming suggestion here:

Mubuntu.

'M', has more associations for me than 'N' with switching to Ubuntu.

'M' Can represent: Migrate, Move (Which also has a similar sound to MU, the first two letters of Mubuntu.), Microsoft, the company most migraters will be leaving.

My thoughts on this is, my migration is complete. I am comfortable using Ubuntu. I personally have no use for this tool.

I currently no nobody that I would recommend Ubuntu to because they are not ready to learn.

If I knew someone who would benefit from this I would recommend it to them.

I don't think, that this project will have mass appeal, because linux doesn't. The majority of people who will be considering moving to Ubuntu, will have done some reading around and be willing to learn.

My personal opinion, is that it would be better to create a program, that displays, clearly and concisely the best of the 'Examples' on the live CD. With links to good troubleshooting content but with content to help people troubleshoot internet problems offline. Perhaps, this item could also have links to automatix and easyubuntu. This way it could probably be fed into Edgy. And rather than including stripped down versions of automatix and easyubuntu as planned, full featured versions could be included without the legal problems?:-k

TreeFrog
July 27th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, xubuntu, perhaps more........
Now Nubuntu.
##Downloads available here (while posing at least)
##http://www.nubuntu.com/downloads.php

I dont know if you see what I'm shooting at there. Its not a criticism.
They all have an angle and they all say something a little different.
I like the Idea of an ubuntu all wrapped up, unofficially tweaked up, fully loaded, distro that lets me just plug and play as one might say.
To that end keep it to one Desktop at first. Get it moving on one set of wheels first and if it runs well it will start almost running on its own like a good project might.
Its angle and one that the others cant have (them being official and all) might be that it is unofficial and as such ships ready for all the unofficial third party non free (as in beer) non Pure Ubuntu stuff that most (not all but most) of us want to set up anyway.

HOWEVER
I also like the Idea of a Knoppix or security type of ubuntu distro with all the latest stuff just ready to go. Light and quick to install or run in VMware.
SeduSec from the VMware appliance list is supposed to be a little like that.
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/348
Also see
EtherDora
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/348

I'm not sure if the two go hand in hand or not though... and the "n" is being refered to around the net as suggesting "Network"

Perhaps there would be another option on install. (another option!)
Plug and play easy to use for NewBeees OR Security and network testing and surveillance tools for nerds.

I like the Idea of a slim salami slice Ubuntu too. One that gives me the best I can get out of old or cheep new hardware but with just a bit of spice. One with a very slim GUI and application range that I can fatten as I need but at my own risk.
There is a market in the $100 laptop for that. especially with the support around Ubuntu that is already there.

Just my 2cent. More Ubuntu is always a good thing though.

Enjoy

songo
July 28th, 2006, 05:22 AM
this is getting very similar to this discussion (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=191011&highlight=xubuntu+edgy+amarok).
heartly ideas but that can be confuse to this newcomers that both ideas aims.
I think that this 2 discussions proves one thing: there is/shouldn't be, no more spaces for *Ubuntu! or else we will soon need a dictioUbuntu.

numerodix
July 28th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I think it's a fantastic idea, hits the nail on the head as far as Windows users are concerned.

3rdalbum
July 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I am slowly working on a program that will automatically mount a user's Windows partitions, and convert the Windows user accounts to Ubuntu ones, copying files from home folders, creating music libraries, adding the existing Windows Firefox and Internet Explorer bookmarks to Ubuntu Firefox, etc. If you get your new fork off the ground, I would like to bring my backend to you.

TravisNewman
August 5th, 2006, 03:00 AM
I'd suggest very quickly changing the name. You don't want to get into the habit of calling it nUbuntu since it's already taken. People will ask for help with nubuntu and who knows which one they're talking about...

If you want someone to rename the thread, just let one of us know and we'll do it. It's just not exactly a good idea to keep the name up.

Iandefor
August 5th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I'd suggest Newbuntu... but it doesn't help when you're saying it :).

Trab
September 29th, 2006, 02:22 AM
alas, i let this one slide :-/.
after edgy is released (its too close for me to bother with finishing up on the dapper one) anything that i mentioned that isnt included will be in a new project name. as for now, this thread is rather pointless, and its outdated and incorrect.
hopefully edgy will include all of wat i ment to do with this project.
cheers,
Trab

Cyraxzz
September 29th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Installers such as Easy Ubuntu and Automatix have already solved this Noob problem. However, best of luck with your project.

ericesque
September 29th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I think your heart is in the right place with the project, but I think that Ubuntu as a distro may benefit more if you put your efforts towards a website.

Reasoning:

You proposed explaining the difference between linux and windows, different distros, etc.

This needs to be something the person has learned before they put the live cd in. Esentially by explaining these things, you are attempting to sell the person on Linux. If they're putting a linux disc in their computer, that battle has already been won.

The website concept:

While Ubuntu's website is very corporate and inviting, it is more a portal for everything Ubuntu than a way for new users to become interested in it. I think a separate website that explained (with plenty of screenies) the benefits of Ubuntu, how to get started, toured some basics, and possibly had a resource for tutorials on resolving issues would fit your goal much better.

If you think this is a good idea and wish to pursue it, I have background in flash, xhtml, css, and graphic design. I may have some time to contribute.

maniacmusician
September 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
there are even lots of websites doing this already....it would be hard to gain enough prominence to get your point across.

What is worth pursuing, however, (I think I read about this somewhere in this thread or on your site) is a walkthrough program of sorts that would introduce a linux newbie to linux. Kind of like microsoft's "desktop tour", I suppose. It could walk them through how to use the menu's, tell them about common applications, tell them how to install the multimedia codecs they might need, recommend some good apps to get them started, etc etc. that would be super helpful to a newbie, and if you get the program really polished, you might even be able to get it in edgy +1. if you work fast. if you even want to do it.