PDA

View Full Version : Great Oportunity ...

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Ok anyone this is wicked awsome:

Yesterday in my French classes (not school, specialized french institute), the teacher told me I had to do an "Exposé" or Oral/Graphic exposition. No big deal right ? But then he suddenly goes "I'm assigning the subjects ... You [me], you know about computers, I want you to talk about Microsoft Windows" >the Operating System?< "Yes.".

I know since he and my classmates computing knowledge is about -0.3 in a scale of 1 to 10, this is the perfect opportunity to diss Windows like they have never heard (about 25-30 people). I already know he won't be expecting this as they have probably never heard of Linux in a serious manner.

I'm thinking about giving away some Ubuntu Live discs :D .

Any suggestions on how to make my diss on Windows painful ? *lol*

Adrenal
March 12th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Ok anyone this is wicked awsome:

Yesterday in my French classes (not school, specialized french institute), the teacher told me I had to do an "Exposé" or Oral/Graphic exposition. No big deal right ? But then he suddenly goes "I'm assigning the subjects ... You [me], you know about computers, I want you to talk about Microsoft Windows" >the Operating System?< "Yes.".

I know since he and my classmates computing knowledge is about -0.3 in a scale of 1 to 10, this is the perfect opportunity to diss Windows like they have never heard (about 25-30 people). I already know he won't be expecting this as they have probably never heard of Linux in a serious manner.

I'm thinking about giving away some Ubuntu Live discs :D .

Any suggestions on how to make my diss on Windows painful ? *lol*
Officially, this is an Ubuntu discussion forum, we are not here to diss windows, grow up.
Unofficially however, 18 mminutes till infestation, primitive ram management system, price, evil company, made for monkeys by monkeys...
too many to list, do you really need my help to pay out windows?

Burgundavia
March 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Be very careful with the way you procede. You could turn an entire group of people off. If the teacher is liberal, I would instead do a "get the facts" discussion of all major OS (linux, windows, macos).

Corey

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Officially, this is an Ubuntu discussion forum, we are not here to diss windows, grow up.
Unofficially however, 18 mminutes till infestation, primitive ram management system, price, evil company, made for monkeys by monkeys...
too many to list, do you really need my help to pay out windows?
Lol no just wanted to see if someone came out with one I forget ;) .

Bubbling Zombie
March 12th, 2005, 11:06 AM
i wouldn't go straight to "destroying" (ho-hum) windows, but i'd try to make an objective comparision of the two os'es (i'd stick with two, since the computer knowledge in your class is kind of... low :p ).

BWF89
March 12th, 2005, 03:36 PM
SWEET!

Hand out some free cd's. and explain to them that you dont have to pay for a Linux OS because once the programs are made someone doesn't have to remake them if they want something similar but different.

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Fight fire with fire.

I would take this opportunity to show how windows turns its users stupid. Fair - to hell with fair -- grow up -- doesn't apply.

In case you didn't know it - their is a "war" going on.

If you want my notes from my "infestation" experiment I did a few weeks ago I'll give them to you.

I wouldn't throw philosophy into the mix, however -- Microsoft operates in Am-erica - where the population are sheep and the sheep want their identies back. Yo ustart throwing philosophy into the mix and you've instantly become inneffective - now you have an audience full of dissenters.

Focus on the easy facts and don't throw anything into the mix that anyone in the audience cannot easily find or verify for themselves. Highlight how patching and keeping abreast of the inherent flaws and insecurities of windows takes time awau from actual computing. I used to like to mention 65,535 doors to enter a machine...

When I used to support home users one of the "tricks" I would employ was tweakUI. To you and me it doesn't really do that much - just surface tweaks -- but customers thought I was some kind of miracle worker (see population descriptor above) when they saw their desktop was more responsive.

With this in mind - I would really pounce on the ABSOLUTE NEED to run (and buy - and subscribe to) an anti-virus with windows.

If you really needed en emotional pull following this - mention how any company that cared about its customers would employ security instead of just talking about it -- ...this approaches a philosophical ploy but it's REAL-WORLD.

People will understand this kind of fact.

If you want converts then sell linux. Sell it with the anti-virus -- sell it by reminding your audience that the most important (now that's pretty damned subjective!) web sites on the web run linux...that movie studios, professional music mixes television studions, etc...all run linux. Shoot down the apple zealots by reminding them that OSX is LINUX!!!!!

It is definately not tough to gain "converts" (or just get people thinking enough to follow up on their own) from an intelligent crowd.

Your instructor equates computing with windows -- do you see what microsoft has done here - that is marketing.

Also - you really don't need to compare anything -- just run windows (unpatched and default bring your own harddrive) and watch their faces drop when the box you're running is compromised. During my experiment - it took < 3 minutes for my box to belong to someone else - default winxp SP 1a.

Keep your ego in check -- you can even tie in the recent ruling in France about that kid found NOT-GUILTY of copywright infringement after he downloaded ~500 movies. Microsoft is one of those companies that wants to own all content rights. This is another area that you can really diss windows -- but, again, be careful about becomming philosophical -- noone cares.

Little jabs like " boy I sure like Office - it does everything I want and with 3rd party add-ons it's a pretty complete software package...I just wish I could afford it -- and the upgrades."

All in all I really don't recommend any comparisons - if you really want to diss windows - windows does a fantastic job all by itself....baaaa hahahahahah. Let those interested ask you questions about solving windows' problems - then throw Linux into the mix.

I like to say the following to my wife - and friends, especially the .net programmers:

"you can't do THAT in windows!"

orion_114
March 12th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Windows is a good operating system for home users who want the "easy way out". Its fantastically easy to use but with the ease of use comes the inherent security vulnerabilities. Linux on the other hand is more hands on and technical. The gap between the two is slowly closing as the years wear on. Both windows and Linux have their place in the world of computing, it just depends on the needs of the individual involved. If you know what you are doing you can really get alot out of Linux otherwise it can be a frustrating experience. I am much of a newbie to the Linux world, but I really enjoy the challenges involved in learning. So to sum it all up Windows and Linux are great Operating Systems it just depends on what you want out of your computing experience. Oh yea and Linux is FREE !!!!!! :)

orion_114
March 12th, 2005, 06:07 PM
One other thing that I forgot to mention about the Linux world is the community aspect. I think Linux isn't just an OS its the whole sence of community that comes with it.

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 06:25 PM
With this in mind - I would really pounce on the ABSOLUTE NEED to run (and buy - and subscribe to) an anti-virus with windows.

Your instructor equates computing with windows -- do you see what microsoft has done here - that is marketing.

Also - you really don't need to compare anything -- just run windows (unpatched and default bring your own harddrive) and watch their faces drop when the box you're running is compromised. During my experiment - it took < 3 minutes for my box to belong to someone else - default winxp SP 1a.

All in all I really don't recommend any comparisons - if you really want to diss windows - windows does a fantastic job all by itself....baaaa hahahahahah.

Lol yes it's sad how people think computing=winblows . When he told me "you're speaking about Windows"-in french of course- I asked him "Windows as in... Operating System?" , the dude looked at me like >wth... "Windows what OS...".

I'm basically going to start with the price it takes to build a capable Operating System on both and what needs to be done/purchased:
Winblows --> Antivirus [wich only give you crappy one year updates], M$ Office [its @^%^& EXPENSIVE], Image manipulating tool [so expensive its funny], Ad-ware, etc. Only with MS Office complete suite + XP Pro + AVirus we have about 400dollars [maybe even more].
Linux -- > its needs a user, that's all.

Plus the security fact, on Winblows you have to be constantly thinking about hackers more than what you really want to do.

Last but not least, the fact that Winblows gets slower/crappier/buggier by the minute [ARG @#% *turns berserk; scratches brother's XP disc].

Also im planning on using the word neophyte (2nd.
definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=neophyte), that should "turn" them on ;).

edit > almost forgot my favorite hate windows part : you can use 2000/xp for 3,4,5 years and be "pro" at it. Still, a person with a month's training will be capable of doing the exact same thing you do: click on my computer, open /my music, then click on the msn msgr button and IE, and watch as Hell brakes loose.

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Shoot down the apple zealots by reminding them that OSX is LINUX!!!!!

Woop, be careful here. I know you know what you're talking about machiner, but I think you got it mixed up when you typed it. You don't want to tell someone that OSX is Linux, because that's not true. Linux is a UNIX clone, OSX is based on BSD which is a flavor of UNIX. They're cousins, I'd say.

Anyway, no, we're not here to bash Windows, but when you get an opportunity like this, if you really don't like Windows, then you can't pass it up. I've hated Windows since the first time I successfully booted into Gnome 1.x (1.2 I think) for many many reasons.

My advice-- don't BASH Windows. Explain why you don't like it, explain the security holes, the 3 minutes until compromise (which may not work for a demonstration, since you're in a school environment, HOPEFULLY they have some sort of firewall), the fact that there's a bureacracy that bug/security fixes have to go through before they're fixed, etc etc. Don't take an indignant tone, or you'll lose people. You have to show GENUINE CONCERN for their computing future. Then show of Linux. If you can that is... If you can get away with it, DON'T show the class anything until the GDM screen. The scrolling text will freak them out. The liveCD would be a good resource, even if you don't use it exclusively, just to show that there's a full OS running from a cd. I wouldn't suggest using a LiveCD. If you can take a laptop in and plug it into a projector or something, that'd be great. Have it set up with ONLY STABLE PACKAGES, but be sure to show the capability. Log out of Gnome, log into KDE, log out, log into XFCE, just to show off the flexibility. Open up Firefox, browse to some intense site that you know works, show it off. Show the effects of Adblock with before and after.

Basically, don't spend so much time complaining about Windows, but spend the time with the ALTERNATIVE. Since you have to talk about Windows, don't STOP talking about Windows. You may want to talk about Windows, cut to Ubuntu and never look back, but your teacher may think you're going too far off topic. So keep the same information, just organize it so that you have a subtopic, like viruses-- talk abotu Windows viruses, how easy it is to get them, how debilitating they are, then cut to Ubuntu and how you haven't run virus protection on it ever with no problems. How people just don't write viruses for Linux. Then go to the next topic, talk about Windows, talk abotu Linux. That way, Windows is a steady theme.

OK I'm done now ;)

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM
You might also want to refrain from using Winblows. M$, etc etc in any of your presentation materials. That's a quick way ANYWHERE to make people stop taking you seriously.

Seriously, even beyond your project, that's a good habit to get out of. Many many people on many many forums look down at people who use that kind of terminology as snobbish and immature. While it doesn't REALLY bother me, I can see people's points in thinking that.

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Windows is a good operating system for home users who want the "easy way out".

Everyday this is more and more less true.

A regular user just needs:
music player
video player
streaming video/audio player
instant messaging
and Office Suite.

Linux gets most of them out of the box, and what they don't, its a lot easier for a newbie/pro/elite/freek-of-nature to open "Synaptic" and search "music" in description.

I have grown tired of hearing people ask me "can you give a website where I can get a good music player/file sharing program? im new at this".

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 06:33 PM
You might also want to refrain from using Winblows. M$, etc etc in any of your presentation materials. That's a quick way ANYWHERE to make people stop taking you seriously.

Seriously, even beyond your project, that's a good habit to get out of. Many many people on many many forums look down at people who use that kind of terminology as snobbish and immature. While it doesn't REALLY bother me, I can see people's points in thinking that.

Of course not lol, plus its a french exposition, it wouldnt even be funny :P. Yeah I need to stop the winBlows talk, I just use it 'cause the last XP install disc I used, was a very funny tweaked one, that instead of the normal install graphics, had some fire on the back and said "winblows" . I laughed that night lol.

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Woop, be careful here. I know you know what you're talking about machiner, but I think you got it mixed up when you typed it. You don't want to tell someone that OSX is Linux, because that's not true. Linux is a UNIX clone, OSX is based on BSD which is a flavor of UNIX. They're cousins, I'd say.)

Thanks for pointing that out -- you're, of course, correct. I need a proofreader!

Linux and Mac are cousins.

az
March 13th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Why does your teacher want you to talk about windows in particular? DOes your teacher mean "a computer operating system" instead. Many people do not differentiate.

It is interesting that the french way to say free software is a lot less confusing than the english way where you have to specify that you mean freedom and not neccesarily cost.

Les systemes d'exploitations proprietaires de marque Microsoft ne sont pas libres comme les logiciels GNU.

I think you can get away with making a big impact by just pointing out a few fundamental differences in the two philosophies.

I live in Quebec (I speak french). Post your text and I'll proofread it for you, if you want.

Yukonjack
March 13th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks for pointing that out -- you're, of course, correct. I need a proofreader!
Linux and Mac are cousins.

If my mem still working ok among all my cobweb I recalled been base on Darwin.

bored2k
March 13th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Why does your teacher want you to talk about windows in particular? DOes your teacher mean "a computer operating system" instead. Many people do not differentiate.

It is interesting that the french way to say free software is a lot less confusing than the english way where you have to specify that you mean freedom and not neccesarily cost.

Les systemes d'exploitations proprietaires de marque Microsoft ne sont pas libres comme les logiciels GNU.

I think you can get away with making a big impact by just pointing out a few fundamental differences in the two philosophies.

I live in Quebec (I speak french). Post your text and I'll proofread it for you, if you want.
O_o awsome.
I really dont know if he meant general operating system, but I figure his computing knowledge tells him operating system = windows/mac.

Thanks for the offer but its Ok, it is mostly oral, and teachers get mad if they notice I'm just saying things from memory, so I have to prepare good work, but I have to write more or less sloppy for myself so I come out with the ideas "au moment" .

btw, [off topic], can you mention some good french language bands [understandable, not in your face Deftones like]. I wanna listen as many french as I can, and I download tv shows in french but dont know about french muziek.

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 04:16 AM
If my mem still working ok among all my cobweb I recalled been base on Darwin.
yes, which is a BSD flavor.

And to bored2k. I think the band was called Dolour, not sure, but it was French rap. Yes, french rap. VERY interesting.

az
March 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM
"btw, [off topic], can you mention some good french language bands [understandable, not in your face Deftones like]. I wanna listen as many french as I can, and I download tv shows in french but dont know about french muziek."

Les trois accords, Jean Leloup, I dunno, There are so many. Can you get MusiquePlus on cable tv, or something.
You gotta watch the simpsons in french. I don't know about the "french-from-france" translation, but the one here is just as funny as the original.

bored2k
March 17th, 2005, 07:50 PM
"btw, [off topic], can you mention some good french language bands [understandable, not in your face Deftones like]. I wanna listen as many french as I can, and I download tv shows in french but dont know about french muziek."

Les trois accords, Jean Leloup, I dunno, There are so many. Can you get MusiquePlus on cable tv, or something.
You gotta watch the simpsons in french. I don't know about the "french-from-france" translation, but the one here is just as funny as the original.
Great thanks i'll look for Simpsons FR Asap.