PDA

View Full Version : 11.10 How to make Unity only switch between windows on current Workspace?

SupaRice
March 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
So, I'm not really a fan of Unity, but I'll go with it for now.

However the thing I find SOOOO IRRITATING is that if I ALT-TAB to switch between windows, and I've just moved from workspace to another instead of allowing me to switch between only the windows on the current workspace it will flip me back to the last window on the other workspace I last used. I'd like to only see the windows from the current workspace.

I found this, and it seems to fix that workspace-centric aspect of switching windows. (Which should be defualt IMO BTW)
http://askubuntu.com/questions/62009/how-to-show-windows-only-from-the-current-workspace-in-switcher

But, if I have text editor open in workspace 1 and then I switch to workspace 4 and then click on the text editor icon in my launcher it takes me back to the text editor on workspace 1 instead of openening a new text editor window in the current workspace. How do I make it launch a new one instead of moving workspaces to the one already open?

stinkeye
March 27th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Middle click on the launcher icon to open
a new instance.

SupaRice
March 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Excellent! Thanks.

SupaRice
March 27th, 2012, 09:12 PM
But it still sometimes moves workspaces when I do ALT-TAB even after the above setting change. Also, something that is really dumb that it does is that I can have 3 terminal windows and 1 firefox window open. If I ALT-TAB it makes all of the terminal windows look like one option for ALT-TAB vs being able to ALT-TAB between them. You can of course hold it at that selection for the switcher, and then it expands to let you select one of the terminals....

How do I revert ALL ALT-TAB behavoir to the previous way it was done?

jerome1232
March 27th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Install CCSM, go into the unity plugin, check the bias alt-tab behavior, I'm pretty sure this is close to what you want.

SupaRice
March 27th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Install CCSM, go into the unity plugin, check the bias alt-tab behavior, I'm pretty sure this is close to what you want.

Already did that, it is closer... But I'd like to revert the behavior to the old way. I do a lot of terminals for work, and like to have the old behavior since I switch back and forth a lot.

markbl
March 27th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Already did that, it is closer... But I'd like to revert the behavior to the old way. I do a lot of terminals for work, and like to have the old behavior since I switch back and forth a lot.
Use ATL+<key above tab> (usually backtick) to switch between windows of same app. This ALT+tab, ALT+` scheme is how it works in unity, gnome-shell, and Mac OSX so you may as well get used to it. It is better than the old all window ATT+tab scheme.

SupaRice
April 4th, 2012, 08:44 PM
NICE! That's what I needed...

Is there a way to change the behavior back though? I mean I'm not the only one that dislikes this new interface. Seems like it wouldn't be a difficult thing to support both.

jerome1232
April 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Use ATL+<key above tab> (usually backtick) to switch between windows of same app. This ALT+tab, ALT+` scheme is how it works in unity, gnome-shell, and Mac OSX so you may as well get used to it. It is better than the old all window ATT+tab scheme.

Very nice, I learn new keyboard shortcuts everyday it seems.

SupaRice
April 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Anyone know how to easily switch between the tabs of a terminal window?

jerome1232
April 6th, 2012, 05:33 PM

ctrl+pgup/ctrl+pgdwn

stinkeye
April 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM

alt+1 alt+2 etc

SupaRice
April 9th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Nice! Thanks