PDA

View Full Version : genetically modified food producing infertility

sdowney717
March 26th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Came across this from watching Alex Jones and apparently has some reality to it. Jones is saying that at the third generation, animals fed GM foods become infertile. So has anyone else heard about this at all?
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_15588.cfm

In a new Austrian study that will send shock waves through the corridors of power in the EU, and through the offices of the GM corporations, it has been discovered that GM corn has a damaging effect upon the reproductive system (1).

Jones though is also claiming all corn is now infected. Thoughts?

a google search
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=sea&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=genetically+modified+food+infertility&oq=genetically+modified+food+infertility&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_l=serp.3..0.4558l7267l0l7383l12l6l0l6l6l0l105l5 93l3j3l12l0.frgbld.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=5802d2af131e3555&biw=1111&bih=771&ix=sea&ion=1

That Jones video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilz7FYOI6H4&feature=related

SemiExpert
March 26th, 2012, 06:30 PM
False. Genetically modified foods will not produce infertility. Period. End of case. There are many issues associated with genetically modified foods, most of which relate to intellectual property, none of which relate to food safety. Eating GM crops will not impact your health! However, there is a legal argument that if a farmer is growing a legacy crop, his next door neighbor is growing a GM crop, and crosspolinization occurs, the legacy farmer might be infringing on the intellectual property of the company that developed and sold the seed for the GM crop. However, eating GM food, and we all have consumed GM food due to crosspolinization, will not impair your health or fertility.

winh8r
March 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Came across this from watching Alex Jones and apparently has some reality to it. Jones is saying that at the third generation, animals fed GM foods become infertile. So has anyone else heard about this at all?
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_15588.cfm

Jones though is also claiming all corn is now infected. Thoughts?

a google search
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=sea&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=genetically+modified+food+infertility&oq=genetically+modified+food+infertility&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_l=serp.3..0.4558l7267l0l7383l12l6l0l6l6l0l105l5 93l3j3l12l0.frgbld.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=5802d2af131e3555&biw=1111&bih=771&ix=sea&ion=1

That Jones video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilz7FYOI6H4&feature=related

Even if it is "true", then at least it will save us from having to go and find another planet to live on because this one is full up!

sdowney717
March 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Huffpost has picked up on this with data now from a Russian study.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/genetically-modified-soy_b_544575.html

Actually something like this makes sense if you think the planet has too many people and are a member of the 'new world order' etc...

After feeding hamsters for two years over three generations, those on the GM diet, and especially the group on the maximum GM soy diet, showed devastating results. By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies. They also suffered slower growth, and a high mortality rate among the pups.

so the master plan would be to feed people this GM food and after 3 generations, overpopulation goes away. You could even suggest certain types of populations to be targeted for elimination. This would also make a very good sci fi movie plot.

sdowney717
March 26th, 2012, 07:03 PM
spidergoats too!
So just what are these genetic mixings going to result in and do you like it or not.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16554357

winh8r
March 26th, 2012, 07:04 PM
By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies.

I think any population who were kept in a cage and fed exclusively on anything for 3 generations would not only lose the ability to "have babies", they would also lose the will to live.

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 07:05 PM
my thoughts are if i paid attention to what was good for me and bad for me then i would have to change what i eat everyday and eventually come back to eating what i was in the first place as new research is done.

I eat what i like the taste of ;-)

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I love this garbage, where fact becomes fiction and fiction becomes evidence.

As for the BBC clip, proved nothing and looked more like a spoof.

sdowney717
March 26th, 2012, 08:19 PM
'Terminator' Technology
exists for transgenic food plants. They have genes in them that kill developing plant embryos in seeds that would perhaps be collected from GMO plants you bought as seeds and grew a crop. Meaning you could not grow a new plant from the seed in the next generation. An infertility is developed in the plant, and that infertility is reversible by exposing the seeds to a certain chemical.

So they are working to create infertility in subsequent generations for GMO plants. Funny if this property was somehow transferred to animals eating these GMO plants.

http://cls.casa.colostate.edu/TransgenicCrops/terminator.html

winh8r
March 26th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I love this garbage, where fact becomes fiction and fiction becomes evidence.

As for the BBC clip, proved nothing and looked more like a spoof.

They couldn't make it too "real" though, they are after all "regulated" as to what they can tell us!!!

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM
And the thread turns to the inevitable conspiracy and or pseudo science.

sdowney717
March 26th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I reread that 'terminator plant' and got it slightly wrong, the infertility is not reversible in the seeds of the next generation.

The special chemical triggers a slow cascade of events that lead eventually to the death of progeny seeds developed on the protected plant.For the purpose of preventing replanting, the progeny seeds should be killed only after they have completed production of all commercially valuable products such as oil. Therefore, the system is designed to take effect only after the crop has grown to maturity in the field and the progeny seeds are nearly ripe.

basically prevents the next generation from coming along, an infertility of sorts.

The special chemical is used for maintaining desirable food trait.

winh8r
March 26th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Don't panic, I wasn't serious, a bit like whoever dreamt up the whole "eating GM will make you sterile" moral panic inducing story. :wink:

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Don't panic, I wasn't serious, a bit like whoever dreamt up the whole "eating GM will make you sterile" moral panic inducing story. :wink:

I heard it makes hair grow on the palms of your hands, no wait that is something else.

QIII
March 26th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Rub Nair on your palms to get rid of the hair. It works wonders.

Not that I would know from personal experience, of course.

forrestcupp
March 26th, 2012, 10:25 PM
It's only the GM foods where they splice animal genes with plant genes that do this.

"Turns to"? At what point wasn't it conspiracy theory? :)

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I am all for genetically modified anything if it tastes better.

bring on the nexus 6 bacon rashers

QIII
March 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Unless the GM food consumed creates in the human gut something that is poisonous to the reproductive organs when digested, this is all hooey no matter if the genes come from goats or oats.

The dangers of GM foods are legal (theft of the product specifically or spurious claims by the patent holders that tainted crops from the next farm over represent theft) or that such tainted crops might be themselves infertile and ruin the seed for the next season's crop.

There has been some speculation that Monsanto had just that in mind and wanted the next farm over (and all the farms in the county) to eventually be unable to buy seed from anyone else because all of it would eventually become infertile, leaving only Monsanto's seed useful for planting.

GM food is not radioactive. It will not produce a race of zombies. It may produce a monopoly or a product that is poisonous.

Bandit
March 27th, 2012, 03:43 AM
i think any population who were kept in a cage and fed exclusively on anything for 3 generations would not only lose the ability to "have babies", they would also lose the will to live.

++ :)

jwbrase
March 27th, 2012, 08:09 AM
False. Genetically modified foods will not produce infertility. Period. End of case.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I'm sure that, depending on the nature of the modification being done, all kinds of toxins, including reproductive toxins, could be produced in genetically modified food. But first of all, I'm not sure we're yet doing the kind of modification that would have much chance of having such a screw-up happen, and furthermore, any such toxicity would be specific to particular bloodlines/seedlines of GM food, not a unifying characteristic of GM food as a whole.

To say, as a blanket statement, "GM food produces infertility" based on the fact that it is theoretically possible to create GM food that does cause infertility, or even that some bloodlines/seedlines *have* produced infertility, is like saying "All software will cause your computer to crash" based on the fact that DOS-kernel Windows could hardly go a day without bluescreening.

lisati
March 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I heard it makes hair grow on the palms of your hands, no wait that is something else.

It took me this long to respond because I was too busy examining my palms.... :D

sammah
March 27th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Its unfortunate how alex jones and most (all the ones I have come across) , always rant like a bunch of lunatics - minimizing the chances of their rants turning heads. I guess its a trade off between the publicity they may get through the shock value vs. credibility.

I have also seen some of the gene manipulation docume nts - crazy (=scary) stuff.

S.:lolflag: