PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Advantages of using Ubuntu Server over Windows Server

Thetri
March 26th, 2012, 01:09 PM
The hardware this is being installed is perfectly capable of running either. I just need the advantages of using Ubuntu over windows. I know its free, more secure, uses less resources, etc. I already have my heart set on it, I'm just trying to convince everyone else.

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 01:12 PM
The hardware this is being installed is perfectly capable of running either. I just need the advantages of using Ubuntu over windows. I know its free, more secure, uses less resources, etc. I already have my heart set on it, I'm just trying to convince everyone else.

free and open source.

The more secure argument is flawed, any sysadmin worth his pay can secure either within the confines of ease of use and functionality.

resources can be managed.

Personal preference meets business requirements.

if this is a business requirement then there are compliance issues to address, training for the sysadmins if not already experienced etc etc

also purpose of the server (role) not much point using Ubuntu if its a application server for people using MS OS and MS Apps ;-)

will it be a domain entity, participate in domain roles or functions ?

so on and so forth

Thetri
March 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM
free and open source.

The more secure argument is flawed, any sysadmin worth his pay can secure either within the confines of ease of use and functionality.

resources can be managed.

Personal preference meets business requirements.

if this is a business requirement then there are compliance issues to address, training for the sysadmins if not already experienced etc etc

also purpose of the server (role) not much point using Ubuntu if its a application server for people using MS OS and MS Apps ;-)

will it be a domain entity, participate in domain roles or functions ?

so on and so forth

This isn't for a business, its very likely this server will be wiped. I wasn't told anything about the use of this server. I only know that either OS will be able to do the required tasks. I'm just trying to support Ubuntu.

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 01:20 PM
This isn't for a business, its very likely this server will be wiped. I wasn't told anything about the use of this server. I only know that either OS will be able to do the required tasks. I'm just trying to support Ubuntu.

in which case the likely to come down to fact its free and open source then.

Thetri
March 26th, 2012, 01:26 PM
in which case the likely to come down to fact its free and open source then.

Price isn't a problem, we have multiple copies of Windows server and licenses to use it.

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Price isn't a option, we have multiple copies of Windows server and licenses to use it.

well so far you dont know the role, either will do, price isnt an option.

if everyone knows how to use both equally then toss a coin.

if they dont then its important use the one with most knowledge available, if its not then use the one which will offer a learning experience.

Everything else is debateable, they are both good products and usually chosen for a given role or based on price or compliance, experience etc.

if its getting wiped anyways then why not try both in a dual boot or set them both up in a virtual machine to see which is preferred.

Thetri
March 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM
We have equal experience with both. So there are no real advantages in using Ubuntu over Windows? The machine we are working with is a IBM eServer xSeries 345 if that helps.

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
We have equal experience with both. So there are no real advantages in using Ubuntu over Windows? The machine we are working with is a IBM eServer xSeries 345 if that helps.

im confused.

you are all experienced in both but dont know what one to use and you have to convince them to use it ?

i guess the advantages would be which one supports your hardware out of the box with less configuration then.

I cant answer that without knowing your hardware and researching it but i will let you do that.

I am sure others would list some advantages but they are all debateable.

in this instance as price is not an option and role doesnt matter then hardware.

personally in this instance i would choose Ubuntu or Linux in general so not to waste a windows licence but if its getting wiped then i dont see any has an advantage.

Hardware and configurability.

Thetri
March 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM
We have plenty of licenses to spare. This isn't the only server we have, this is a new server. Right now it has no OS. We are trying to decide which OS to use. I'm trying to justify using Linux over Windows.

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM
We have plenty of licenses to spare. This isn't the only server we have, this is a new server. Right now it has no OS. We are trying to decide which OS to use. I'm trying to justify using Linux over Windows.

well the justifications are not valid as you already said licences are plentiful, knowledge is the same, no role assumed or known so both will do.

Then choose open source if nothing else than to support open source.

But check the hardware support such as raid controllers.

any other arguments such as security and the like are all dead end pointless arguments and not realistic other than virus infection which if interacting with windows machine will be needed regardless to reduce the pass on of infection.

In this scenario i would choose the one i had no experience of or least to enhance knowledge seeing as it is not long term, no role known, price not an option, not a business etc

it is likely that the hardware will be better supported initially out of the box with windows, but it depends on version as you havent mentioned versions.

The most stable in terms of server with Ubuntu is 10.04 LTS long term support but some may consider it old though not really for a server OS.

The majority of arguments for and against i have seen i dont agree with as it comes down to good system administration.

The thing is if you dont know its role it is hard to say.

Thetri
March 26th, 2012, 01:53 PM
That's why I want to go with Linux. I've been using windows for years. I was only introduced to Linux on June 2011. We already know for certain the hardware is capable of running either just fine. There is a server in the corner of the workplace that is the exact same as this one and it has Ubuntu. The problem is we don't permission to do anything with it.

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
That's why I want to go with Linux. I've been using windows for years. I was only introduced to Linux on June 2011. We already know for certain the hardware is capable of running either just fine. There is a server in the corner of the workplace that is the exact same as this one and it has Ubuntu. The problem is we don't permission to do anything with it.

wokrplace ?

but its not a for business ?

anyways too little information to make a informed decision for and against.

Go with open source to support it then.

Thetri
March 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM
wokrplace ?

but its not a for business ?

anyways too little information to make a informed decision for and against.

Go with open source to support it then.

I think workplace is a better name than "room with computers". Yeah, I am going with Ubuntu to support open source.