PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Differences of environments

Subidubi32
March 26th, 2012, 10:36 AM
What is the differences of the 4 desktop environments? Gnome, KDE, Lxdm, xcfe?
Is it worth to try all of these out?

Peripheral Visionary
March 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM
A good summary of the major Linux desktops - written for ordinary mortals - can be found here (http://adoptedsidekick.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/linux-desktops/). It's a good non-technical look at window managers and desktop environments.

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM
The differences are many.

aesthetics
user interaction
resources used/performance
default apps such as file managers

its all personal preference, only way to tell is to try them, if you dont want to install them then use a virtual machine or download a live distro using the DE of choice by default so you can see if you like it.

no one can say what it best, a DE is all about user experience and that is relative to the user.

Cheers

Frogs Hair
March 26th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Here is another resource.http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce

codemaniac
March 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Try out all , stick to whatever is best suitable to your needs .

snowpine
March 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Each of the desktop environments has its own web page where you can read FAQ's, view screenshots, get help, etc. :)

jerrrys
March 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Here is another resource.http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce

Nice link Frogs Hair; I added it to my references ):P

ccrs8
March 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Since you are posting this on Ubuntu Forums, it means you are at least thinking about using an Ubuntu variant once you make your desktop environment choice. You should also look at the non-technical differences in the Ubuntu variants that use each desktop environment. Obviously the differences in the links in other posts answer the differences in the actual environments, but in choosing a particular Ubuntu you should also look at the differences related to support, community involvement, Canonical backing, etc.

haqking
March 26th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Since you are posting this on Ubuntu Forums, it means you are at least thinking about using an Ubuntu variant once you make your desktop environment choice. You should also look at the non-technical differences in the Ubuntu variants that use each desktop environment. Obviously the differences in the links in other posts answer the differences in the actual environments, but in choosing a particular Ubuntu you should also look at the differences related to support, community involvement, Canonical backing, etc.

you can use any DE in any of the variants. You dont need to use a specific variant to use a specific DE.

unless i misunderstood what you said.

Peace

ccrs8
March 26th, 2012, 06:33 PM
you can use any DE in any of the variants. You dont need to use a specific variant to use a specific DE.

unless i misunderstood what you said.

Peace

Yeah, I was pretty unclear. I know you can install any DE from any "base" ubuntu variant install. I guess I was just pointing out that in the Ubuntu universe, there are specific differences that go along in the choice of DEs. IE by default GNOME includes Unity. Lubuntu's next release won't be an LTS release like the other variants. Kubuntu was just dropped from Canonical-backed to community support. Things like that. I guess it's not that important - just something else to think about besides the purely technical aspects of the DE differences.

jerrrys
March 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM
in choosing a particular Ubuntu you should also look at the differences related to support, community involvement, Canonical backing, etc.

With that in mind the list would be:

#1 Unity
#2 Gnome
#3 Xubuntu
#4 Lubuntu

Im not sure where to put KDE :)

But still, support for all is excellent. They are all Linux and support/fixes are in a big part common to all.

Subidubi32
March 26th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I think i will use Ubuntu with it's default DE, and try the others, with other distros. I am a new Linux user, I have Ubuntu since September, or October I think, and at the beginning I used Windows more often than Linux. But I like that Linux feeling, and getting use to it. I also tried Arch, and Linux Mint, but on the other computer, and I had to install windows on it for my brother. So I formatted the other 2 distos...

Subidubi32
March 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I installed Gnome shell with GDM, and Nautilus to Arch, And Mint was with Gnome shell, LightDm and Nautilus, so I am only familiar with the Gnome environment, cause as I know Unity is some sort of Gnome environment only for Ubuntu. :) Thanx for the helps!
Regards! Subidubi

3Miro
March 27th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Instal them all. Try them all. Pick one or more than one.

Also think about mix and match. I use xfce but I also use Gno
e and KDE apps like evince andd texmaker. I also liked Gnome 2 with OpenBox.