PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Evolution Contacts and Calendar problems

Jonners59
March 26th, 2012, 09:02 AM
My Evolution has problems with both calendar and Contacts.

I have my Calendar accounts set up, but it refuses to add meetings/events directly, saying the account does not exist, however if I create them in my gmail account via my web browser, they sync up and appear in Evolution.

One error message I get get is:

Unable to book a resource, error: No such interface `org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Calendar' on object at path /org/gnome/evolution/dataserver/Calendar/2293/294
Does thsi help in any way?

Contacts is even worse.
I have accounts created, but the contents are empty. I then try and delete the account and start again, but it refuses to allow me to.

Screenshot attached.

arnouf
March 26th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Same issue here !
I tried a lot of stuff and always the same message calendar doesn't exist !
So if you have a way to solve this issue, let me know

nmyrick
April 2nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
Do you have Google Plus accounts? I don't use my calendar much in evolution (I add appointments through my Droid) but I just noticed this issue, and realized that I switched to Google Plus since the last time I tried to add an appointment in Evolution.

I think this may be a compatibility issue with Google Plus and Evolution.

Jonners59
April 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Do you have Google Plus accounts?

How do I know?

nmyrick
April 11th, 2012, 02:35 AM
You would have had to set up a Google plus account. It's like Googles version of Facebook.

Jonners59
April 11th, 2012, 07:56 AM
You would have had to set up a Google plus account. It's like Googles version of Facebook.
Yup, I am now with you, and yes, I do.... But, this problem has been going on far longer than since I started using Google+, which is a matter of a couple of months. This problem started in 10.04 and has not been resolved. See previous Threads I raised a year back.

It has got better. I can view Calendar and it does update, and eMail does not lock up, BUT I can not add events - I can but they do not want to save saying that the calendar does not exist, so I have to "discard" the calendar entry, but it appears in my Google on-line account which then syncs with Evolution - CRAZY:confused:

Address book just simply does not work.

I have raised with Evolution directly, but they never respond or do anything.

I am not sure anyone really gives a toot as this has been such a long outstanding issue and I have had jip in terms of support or responses. Searching the web I am not alone.

jernst
April 11th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I have reported this bug here : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/978728

Did any of you report it upstream too ?

Jonners59
April 11th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I have reported this bug here : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/978728

Did any of you report it upstream too ?
Oh, yes. I have raised more than one thread here and contributed to others that have had the same symptoms, I have raised a few bug reports and I have contacted the Evolution team via their support/website. Nothing on any.

As I say it started in 10.04 and has not been resolved. I have the same issue on 7 machines (new, old, 32 and 64-bit, PC, or laptop) with all Google hosted accounts.

Never had a reply.

jernst
April 13th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I've reported the bug upstream[1] and it has been fixed the next day !

The fix will be released in the next releases of evolution-data-server ; let's hope it'll be integrated soon in current Ubuntu releases.

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=673894

terrykiwi83
April 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM
cheers, for spotting the bug :)

Jonners59
April 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I've reported the bug upstream[1] and it has been fixed the next day !

The fix will be released in the next releases of evolution-data-server ; let's hope it'll be integrated soon in current Ubuntu releases.

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=673894

Yes, I saw that. It included some of the bug reports I had seen or contributed last year in the report.

Fingers crossed it is a fix and we get it soon.

Jonners59
May 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM
No, not fixed. Either the patch has not been distributed as yet in the updates or it does not fix the problem

drewstew
May 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Having terrible problems with Contacts. Noticed it a couple of days ago when I tried to add names to an existing Contact List. They seem to go on, but when I check they are just meaningless characters - not quite Wingdings, but you get the idea.
So thought I would try setting up a new Contacts List - just called it Random and added a couple of names, well, at random. Again, seemed to go on, but this time, the name of the Contact List is shown but nothing underneath! Then when I click it, it closes Evolution down completely.
Tried backing up the data, then deleting and reinstalling Evolution, with exactly the same results. Then tried on computer number 2 running a different brand of Linux, an entirely new install of Evolution and installing the backed-up data. Same results! Anyone else experiencing similar?

I'm tempted just to mothball Evolution and start using another email client. Any suggestions please, excluding Thunderbird, which really isn't to my taste?

Jonners59
May 9th, 2012, 09:02 AM
OK, the answer to the Calendar is

rm -r $HOME/.config/evolution/calendar

Then start Evolution...

The reason, I have found for the problem is that the Evolution team have moved many of the directories in the more recent builds. I also tried this on the addressbook, but it screwed up the install, so now i have other problems to resolve, but for calendar this works.

I found it in a long search. There are many bugs and fault reports out there about this, but this is the only fix.

drewstew
May 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Anyone worked out an answer to the Contacts issue yet?
I can add new contacts individually, but the moment I try to tinker with any of my Contact Groups, it just goes weird.

Have tried also an "incremental" change, i.e. when I'm dropping a member from a group and adding another. I start by changing the first name, save, then surname, save - but the moment I try to change the email address - meaningless characters!