PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will 11.04 to 11.10 upgrade break my Apache Server...

paulbuk
March 25th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Hi Guys,
Just a quick Q, Re: Will 11.04 to 11.10 upgrade break my Apache Server?

I'm on 11.04 and could have upgraded to 11.10 when it came out. Don't want to "break what don't need fixing" but would like to go upto 11.10 ready for when 12.xx comes out in the future.

I'm in the middle of some WebDev and don't want to upset my Apache setup, does anyone know if the upgrade will break it as I distinctly remember it breaking the last upgrade. OK, I could fix it, but really don't want to spend more time on this comp whilst the UK weather is good in March!! LOL
I do have 2 other Ubuntu 11.10 to fall back on, but not on this comp, my main webdev LAMP box.

Anyone aware of any issues re above?
Cheers,

Paul B

uRock
March 25th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Moved to Installation & Upgrades.

paulbuk
March 26th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Anybody have any helpful anwsers then?

Grenage
March 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Generally with upgrades, while they are fine most of the time, you have to be prepared for failure. Make sure you have backups; you could even clone the drive(s) before starting.

darkod
March 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I don't know if you have desktop OS with LAMP installed or the server OS.

While I can't tell if your upgrade will break it, one recommendation is for servers to go LTS to LTS. You don't upgrade every 6 months as new versions come out, you only upgrade from one LTS to the next, and only if you want to.