PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Subaru Legacy - Removing the cassette player

warm cardigan
March 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I have a 1995 Subaru Legacy which no longer runs reliably. Before I get rid of it, I would like to salvage its cassette player, which has some unique qualities regarding tape wear, etc. which I would like to utilize in future. Is there a way to remove the cassette player without harming the rest of the car?

collisionystm
March 25th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I have a 1995 Subaru Legacy which no longer runs reliably. Before I get rid of it, I would like to salvage its cassette player, which has some unique qualities regarding tape wear, etc. which I would like to utilize in future. Is there a way to remove the cassette player without harming the rest of the car?

Grab some screw drivers. A torx set and some beer. Have fun

CharlesA
March 25th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Grab some screw drivers. A torx set and some beer. Have fun
What he said.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7586669_off-dash-1995-subaru-legacy.html

LowSky
March 26th, 2012, 12:21 AM
leave it in there and move to the digital age like the rest of us... lol

But seriously, its pretty simple to remove a radio, more than likely a few clip in trim pieces and maybe some 10mm bolts holding that radio in place.

Porcini M.
March 26th, 2012, 06:11 PM
leave it in there and move to the digital age like the rest of us... lol

But seriously, its pretty simple to remove a radio, more than likely a few clip in trim pieces and maybe some 10mm bolts holding that radio in place.

There might be an anti-theft bolt in the very back, which is trickier to undo.

SemiExpert
March 26th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I can't think of very many current production cars, or even recent cars, that uses a single DIN stereo. If you have a recipient vehicle in mind, go for it, or if you don't mind using spacer plates or leaving a big gaping hole in the dash. I do have to wonder what makes this tape deck quite so special? Was it aftermarket?

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2012, 08:46 PM
With how cheap head units are the hassle out weighs the cost of purchase.

QIII
March 26th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I'll send my brother over to help you out. Can you wait another 3 months? ;)