PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity problem

ve3tru
March 25th, 2012, 06:30 PM
My web browser back button, competes with the unity bar very annoying.
Love to move this to a more logical location like the left or bottom but I cant 64 bit.
Any fixes out there?

Frogs Hair
March 26th, 2012, 12:41 AM
If using 3D you can set the panel to auto-hide in the CCSM > Unity Plug-in . Then you will have to deal with the panel appearing when the pointer is moved to the left side . I just move the browser over to right a bit after I open it .

ve3tru
March 26th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Can you think of a more stupid place to put it?
if it was on the right or bottom it would make sense. Just maybe;......windows has it on the bottom because it makes sense there?. And of course the ignorant people who locked it out so you cant move it to the bottom, because why?,god forbid it might look like windows.

bonzini
March 27th, 2012, 01:02 AM
In 12.04 Unity 2-d, full-screen seems to be up to the edge of the launcher. You can "push the launcher out of the way" by moving a window in its direction, but the window manager doesn't do that for you.

As for whether the side or the bottom is a better place, count me in with the side. Screens these days are too short to have horizontal menus, button ribbons etc.

Whatever reasons justified putting task bars / launchers on the bottom of the screen back when OS/2 was being designed don't apply now. From what I can see of colleagues' computers running Win 7 and using Office 2010 to edit documents, between ribbon and the fat new task bar they get about 10 lines of document visible, and two great gray washes of vertical uselessness to the left and right of the document page.