PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 LTS install stuck at purple screen

Userus
March 25th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hello, Ubuntu Community!
I'm having a problem when I try to install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS version on my computer. These are my PC specs (I know, I know...Six years old :D):
AMD Sempron 2800+ - 1.61 GHz
768MB RAM
Geforce 6200
Windows XP SP3
My problem is that it stucks at the purple booting screen. After I select the Install Ubuntu at the screen that appears after hitting the Shift button, everything goes normal, it's booting, until all the dots are red. After that, a flash is occurring and it either place the purple image in the left top corner and the mouse looks like a purple-faded square (in this case I can move the "mouse" but nothing else) or it just recoveres with the normal booting purple screen, however without doing anything. I waited for a long time, but with no result.
I did run a "Check disc for defects", but no error was found. I run a "Test memory", again no error was found. I restarted my PC so many times while trying, still no succes.
The strange thing is that I successfully installed Ubuntu once using this disc.

I tried with an 11.10 disc, but I'm getting other errors there. Did a "Check disc for defects" and 1 error was found.

Does anyone have any idea why it's happening this, or how to fix it?

Thanks!

WasMeHere
March 25th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hello Userus,

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

It might be problems with the graphics or some other error, that might be avoided using 'boot options', according to the following link
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions)

If it is a problems because of small RAM, you should try Lubuntu with LXDE, a desktop environment with a very small footprint. So maybe you can download the iso file of a new version of Lubuntu and burn a boot CD.
-o-
- Lubuntu is Ubuntu under the hood, so you have access to the same programs.
- I suggest Lubuntu 11.10 or if you want to test what will be released in April, the beta version of Lubuntu Precise (12.04)

Userus
March 25th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Thank you, Olle Wiklund!
However, I doubt that it's a RAM problem because I installed it some time ago from the same disc.
Thanks for the link! I have two questions:
1. I read on some threads that if I load the Recovery Mode, it may fix the problem. Can you tell me if this will help or how can I load it?
2. I've seen that at the installation screen, the resolution is big enough. Can I edit the resolution so it will fit my monitor?

Once again, thank you!

WasMeHere
March 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Thank you, Olle Wiklund!
However, I doubt that it's a RAM problem because I installed it some time ago from the same disc.
Thanks for the link! I have two questions:
1. I read on some threads that if I load the Recovery Mode, it may fix the problem. Can you tell me if this will help or how can I load it?
2. I've seen that at the installation screen, the resolution is big enough. Can I edit the resolution so it will fit my monitor?

Once again, thank you!
When booting, the first linux menu is the Grub menu. The first line is the normal boot selection, and the second line is the Recovery Mode. So select with the arrow-down key and activate with the Enter key.

... and come back if necessary

WasMeHere
March 25th, 2012, 02:59 PM
And have a look at the following links
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275)

collisionystm
March 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Hello, Ubuntu Community!
I'm having a problem when I try to install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS version on my computer. These are my PC specs (I know, I know...Six years old :D):
AMD Sempron 2800+ - 1.61 GHz
768MB RAM
Geforce 6200
Windows XP SP3
My problem is that it stucks at the purple booting screen. After I select the Install Ubuntu at the screen that appears after hitting the Shift button, everything goes normal, it's booting, until all the dots are red. After that, a flash is occurring and it either place the purple image in the left top corner and the mouse looks like a purple-faded square (in this case I can move the "mouse" but nothing else) or it just recoveres with the normal booting purple screen, however without doing anything. I waited for a long time, but with no result.
I did run a "Check disc for defects", but no error was found. I run a "Test memory", again no error was found. I restarted my PC so many times while trying, still no succes.
The strange thing is that I successfully installed Ubuntu once using this disc.

I tried with an 11.10 disc, but I'm getting other errors there. Did a "Check disc for defects" and 1 error was found.

Does anyone have any idea why it's happening this, or how to fix it?

Thanks!

While the purple splash is on the screen, hit the up arrow key. It will show you whats going on in the background.

Userus
March 25th, 2012, 03:28 PM
While the purple splash is on the screen, hit the up arrow key. It will show you whats going on in the background.
I did that. The last message was "Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd". Right before crashing, the screen is flashing once and the resolution is increasing. Then, no command is working, I can't even exit from that screen. Is there a way for me to set the resolution to fit my monitor? Thanks!

collisionystm
March 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I did that. The last message was "Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd". Right before crashing, the screen is flashing once and the resolution is increasing. Then, no command is working, I can't even exit from that screen. Is there a way for me to set the resolution to fit my monitor? Thanks!

Sounds like you need to start the install with nomodeset

Reboot your computer, keep tapping the up arrow key.

At the live cd prompt, where you choose to run live or install hit F6 ( i think ) to specify options. Choose nomodeset

Should run... install. May need to boot with nomodeset again to install your nvidia drivers.

WasMeHere
March 25th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Yes, from the on-going trouble-shooting, I also think nomodeset is a good start. And if no luck, continue with some other option(s). You may need more than one boot-option to get it working.

Or try another version, for example the current beta version of Lubuntu Precise. My experience is that it is booting easily on new as well as old computers. (The behaviour during boot is pretty much depending on the kernel of the system, and how it can identify and adjust to the hardware of the computer.)

collisionystm
March 25th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Yes, from the on-going trouble-shooting, I also think nomodeset is a good start. And if no luck, continue with some other option(s). You may need more than one boot-option to get it working.

Or try another version, for example the current beta version of Lubuntu Precise. My experience is that it is booting easily on new as well as old computers. (The behaviour during boot is pretty much depending on the kernel of the system, and how it can identify and adjust to the hardware of the computer.)

The xorg drivers in 12.04 have fixed the issue for me. AMD HD6000 series.

I would assume its the same results for nvidia. Keyword... ASSUME.

Userus
March 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Thank you, guys! It worked with nomodeset.