PDA

View Full Version : Nero for Linux

tim1
March 12th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Yep they ported it.

It's no free software, has a GTK1 interface (based on code of gnometoaster) and comes not even close to the Windoes version in terms of features, but I guess it's a good sign for the Linux desktop in general that it's being recognized by the major software makers.

Official website (http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html)
Screenshots (http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX_Gallery.html)

greets, tim

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Yep they ported it.

It's no free software, has a GTK1 interface (based on code of gnometoaster) and comes not even close to the Windoes version in terms of features, but I guess it's a good sign for the Linux desktop in general that it's being recognized by the major software makers.

Official website (http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html)
Screenshots (http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX_Gallery.html)
(http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX_Gallery.html)
greets, tim
If Nero ports to GTK2 with M$ features I would finally be happy about no having to install kdelibs here for k3b :D.

Btw , your screenshots link sends me directly to Microsoft's main website ... not funny.

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 05:12 AM
I dont get it though , I have to have Nero 6 for M$ to download it ? what s2pid trick is that lol .

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 05:42 AM
That's because of an improperly formatted link. I'll change it for him ;)

tim1
March 12th, 2005, 11:42 AM
That's because of an improperly formatted link. I'll change it for him ;)

I just fixed it.

jeremy
March 12th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I dont get it though , I have to have Nero 6 for M$ to download it ? what s2pid trick is that lol .
Yes, seems pretty stupid to me! I'm not going to buy a copy for windows which I don't have.

tim1
March 12th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Yes, seems pretty stupid to me! I'm not going to buy a copy for windows which I don't have.

You can also see it this way: You buy one licence and can use it on both platforms, which seems reasonable to me.

greets, tim

jsgotangco
March 12th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Hey that's not so bad. After all, Nero is GOOD software.

Cheers,

Jerome

Bubbling Zombie
March 12th, 2005, 02:56 PM
and i'm just now used to k3b :<

BWF89
March 12th, 2005, 03:23 PM
K3B and Gnomebaker are going to have some competition.

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM
K3b is still miles ahead of this I think.

The interface is so nasty looking.

They need to update to gtk2 and add in all the Windows features. Then I will be a happy thumb.

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 05:47 PM
AYFKM!?!?!?

Porting Nero to Linux is like porting Norton.

No (bleep) thank you. Might as well stick with windows.

jeremy
March 12th, 2005, 07:04 PM
You can also see it this way: You buy one licence and can use it on both platforms, which seems reasonable to me.

greets, tim
Yes, but I don't want it for windows, why can't I just buy the linux version, why don't they make all windows users buy the linux version too?

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Yes, but I don't want it for windows, why can't I just buy the linux version, why don't they make all windows users buy the linux version too?
That's one very good point.

Windows users would complain until they get what they want, why can't we be heard ? .

kanem
March 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
It's no free software, has a GTK1 interface (based on code of gnometoaster) ...
greets, tim
Not free software, based on code of gnometoaster? That's not cool; isn't gnometoaster GPL'd? Do you remember where you saw that it was based on gnometoaster?

tim1
March 12th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Not free software, based on code of gnometoaster? That's not cool; isn't gnometoaster GPL'd? Do you remember where you saw that it was based on gnometoaster?

It says it in the splash screen. I don't think that "it's not cool" is a good argument anyway, could you please explain what you mean?

greets, tim

MetalMusicAddict
March 12th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I think this is great. Becides K3B (which I love) I think Linux is lackin a great burning app. I wish there was a G3B. I have these great lookin fonts on Gnome. K3B comes up and looks gross. :) I do think that not being able to buy a "Linux Only" version is shite but I understand it.

I wonder how portable the plug-ins are?

kanem
March 12th, 2005, 10:55 PM
It says it in the splash screen. I don't think that "it's not cool" is a good argument anyway, could you please explain what you mean?

greets, tim

I have no problem with Gnometoaster if that's what it sounded like.

I just meant to say that applications based off of GPL'd code are also supposed to be released under the GPL. If Nero is selling/distributing software based on Gnometoaster, the code should be available somewhere. Maybe it is, but I couldn't find it.

I'm glad they feel the Linux community is important enought to release something like this, but they should still play by the rules. And I'm not complaining because I want a free copy, I'm perfectly happy with the cd burning I have with Nautilus and Graveman.

Edit: I just re-read the GPL and saw that the code doesn't have to be available for free, it only has to be distributed with the product itself. Anyone know if that's the case here?

tim1
March 12th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Edit: I just re-read the GPL and saw that the code doesn't have to be available for free, it only has to be distributed with the product itself. Anyone know if that's the case here?

No it's not. It's proprietary closed source.

But the GPL enforces the copyright holders. And in this case the copyright holder of Gnometoaster granted Nero access to the code, which does not conflict with the GPL. One cannot take back the code once it's released under the GPL, but you still hold the copyright and can relicense it.

greets, tim

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 11:54 PM
You gotta wonder if they "granted" them access or if they "sold" them access ;) Seriously. I think the Nero developers have enough talented developers to come up with something on their own-- if they were using GPL code as a base, they should have distributed it GPL. Not that they're breaking any laws, it's just kinda cheap.

kanem
March 13th, 2005, 12:07 AM
No it's not. It's proprietary closed source.

But the GPL enforces the copyright holders. And in this case the copyright holder of Gnometoaster granted Nero access to the code, which does not conflict with the GPL. One cannot take back the code once it's released under the GPL, but you still hold the copyright and can relicense it.

greets, tim

Interesting info, thanks. Didn't know that could be done with GPL'd stuff. Well if the Gnomebaker developers/copyright holders don't have a problem with it, I certainly don't.

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Interesting info, thanks. Didn't know that could be done with GPL'd stuff. Well if the Gnomebaker developers/copyright holders don't have a problem with it, I certainly don't.
That raises an interesting question. Under the GPL, who exactly IS the copyright holder? I've never been clear about this. For example, say one person fixed one minor bug and it was accepted, so his code is in the program. Is he one of the copyright holders now? If that's the case, how did they get unanimous approval to let Nero use the code?

And if that's NOT the case, someone screwed over the minor developers that have helped out along the way.

jdong
March 13th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Hmm, I don't see the incentive to use NeroLINUX. I got a copy. Note that a sh lib check shows that not everything links cleanly against Warty libraries (or Hoary ones), but it does seem to run. It's uglier than K3b in GNOME, and really doesn't support much more than K3b, if even as much as K3b! With Windows, Nero is a good buy, but the Linux version simply can't compete with the existing products!

bored2k
March 13th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I just finished installing the .deb NeroLinux package. And I really must say, I like what I see, a lot.

It was one of the only apps I wished I couldve moved with me to Linux [nero and winrar mostly - wich I open through Xover]. Its easy to use and though it really lacks functionality of K3B, now I don't have to install those hated [by me] kdelibs by necessity [GTK 1, yeah I know but its still GTK]. I'm not trying to convince anyone to trash K3B, I'm just saying: I can finally be a K3B free man ! Nero and WinRAR in my Linux, I gotta be happy :D .

http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7480/nero10ma.th.jpg (http://img93.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img93&image=nero10ma.jpg)
http://img93.exs.cx/img93/9829/nerob1ky.th.jpg (http://img93.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img93&image=nerob1ky.jpg)

landotter
March 13th, 2005, 08:01 AM
got it here too. It's pretty fast, but as always, the GUI sucks. I'm not talking about the gtk1--fine with that as it's fast. Nero is one of the most poorly layed out programs of all time. It's only saving grace is that it works.

K3b seriously kicks its but in many many ways.

bored2k
March 13th, 2005, 08:05 AM
got it here too. It's pretty fast, but as always, the GUI sucks. I'm not talking about the gtk1--fine with that as it's fast. Nero is one of the most poorly layed out programs of all time. It's only saving grace is that it works.

K3b seriously kicks its but in many many ways.
I just hope it being gnometoaster based, GB eventually revamps itself with numerous features and yes, GTK2.

Btw, I like Nero UI @! :$

ploum
March 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM
If Nero ports to GTK2 with M$ features I would finally be happy about no having to install kdelibs here for k3b :D.

What about graveman ? (available in universe)

Mike Douglas
March 13th, 2005, 11:37 AM
That raises an interesting question. Under the GPL, who exactly IS the copyright holder? I've never been clear about this. For example, say one person fixed one minor bug and it was accepted, so his code is in the program. Is he one of the copyright holders now? If that's the case, how did they get unanimous approval to let Nero use the code?

And if that's NOT the case, someone screwed over the minor developers that have helped out along the way.
Depends on the project, sometimes the maintainer requires you to sign over copyright to him (or you both own the copyright). Basically whoever's name is in the copyright of the file is the owner.

machiner
March 13th, 2005, 04:12 PM
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/13/009200&from=rss

Rogee
March 14th, 2005, 08:12 AM
This great news. Quality commercial apps are exactly what Linux needs. I really don't mind if it's GPL or not. I really like Nero for Windows, and I'm glad they've created a Linux version.

bored2k
March 14th, 2005, 08:39 AM
This great news. Quality commercial apps are exactly what Linux needs. I really don't mind if it's GPL or not. I really like Nero for Windows, and I'm glad they've created a Linux version.
There we go :D .

dolson
March 14th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I just finished installing the .deb NeroLinux package. And I really must say, I like what I see, a lot.

It was one of the only apps I wished I couldve moved with me to Linux [nero and winrar mostly - wich I open through Xover]. Its easy to use and though it really lacks functionality of K3B, now I don't have to install those hated [by me] kdelibs by necessity [GTK 1, yeah I know but its still GTK]. I'm not trying to convince anyone to trash K3B, I'm just saying: I can finally be a K3B free man ! Nero and WinRAR in my Linux, I gotta be happy :D .

http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7480/nero10ma.th.jpg (http://img93.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img93&image=nero10ma.jpg)
http://img93.exs.cx/img93/9829/nerob1ky.th.jpg (http://img93.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img93&image=nerob1ky.jpg)

I gotta ask... Why do you use WinRAR in Linux? What does it do that you can't do with native applications, such as File Roller?

TravisNewman
March 14th, 2005, 02:28 PM
*shudder* I can't use file-roller. It's just SO freakin' buggy and featureless.

Now command-line tools, that's where it's at. Since using command line tools, I feel weird using winrar on other people's setups

dizzie
March 14th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Now command-line tools, that's where it's at. Since using command line tools, I feel weird using winrar on other people's setups

Like me: I caught my self doing ls, cat and grep in a dos-prompt 8-[

I like K3b, let alone nero, let it rest in piece :)

dolson
March 15th, 2005, 06:55 AM
*shudder* I can't use file-roller. It's just SO freakin' buggy and featureless.

I don't disagree, but there's gotta be some kind of logic to the original statement.

beeldings
March 16th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I agree with the sentiment that porting a major Windows application to Linux is a good for the Linux community. I downloaded and installed Nero this morning, and I wasn't satisfied with it. I wouldn't mind paying for this program, but since it lacks the features of the Windows version, why should I if there are many free alternatives to Nero on Linux that offer the same, if not more functionality than Nero? Between XCDRoast and GnomeBaker, there's really no need for Nero on my machine, at least for the time being. Perhaps if a comprehensive VCD tool is implemented in Nero, I would consider using it favor of XCDRoast/GnomeBaker.

gege71.hu
April 26th, 2005, 08:30 AM
I bumped into a problem with NeroLinux 2.0.0.6.
I tried to burn an mp3 albumfile as image, having a result as an audioCD.
in windows version it is easy.
I choose "burn image" then I browse fore cue-file which gives the burner the "guide" for the mp3 file. (In the cuefile You have the trackist with timecodes etc...you probably know that).
So in Windows version it works fine (though nero spends some minutes with examining the cue file) then it burns the "1albumfile in one mp3 file" as AudioCD.
In NeroLinux after choosing the cue file it seems starting the process, but then an error message comes "Initialization failed" or sg like it. WTF?
i tried K3B as well but it seems not handling this method. K3B can examine cuesheet for the given mp3 albumfile as well, but then some "unknown error" comes and that's it....that is why I gave a shot fore Nerolinux thinking that it is already has such feature (Burn Image using mp3 cuesheet).
Any idea?
Thnx
gege