PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Requesting permission before making install permenent

helmcken
March 24th, 2012, 02:41 AM
When I select INSTALL UBUNTU, Ubuntu presents me with the " enter your administrators password" box. As I have never set a password, I have no idea what to enter! Leaving it blank and pressing enter does not work! All wrong answers receive either Incorrect password, try again or the error message: Failed to run /usr/ bin/ubiquity'gtk_ui' as user root. Therefore, I cannot get the machine to make the install permanent!!
I downloaded Ubuntu ver.10.04-LTS-desk-amd64 and the wubi and ran the md5 hash check which showed a good, clean copy. So I burned it to disc and verified disc. Then I inserted disc into machine that I want to install on and selected check disc from Ubuntu list. The tool reported the disc to be okay. This machine has Win 7-64bit running correctly on it.
After selecting language, it does NOT matter whether I choose "Try first.." or "Install" as machine ALWAYS builds the "Try first without any changes" desktop. When this Ubuntu desktop is ready, I AM UNABLE TO ACCESS TERMINAL! Terminal/ command prompt starts in bottom bar, but disappears after 2 seconds.
How do I solve this? How do I make my Ubuntu install permanently?

PhantomTurtle
March 24th, 2012, 04:12 AM
If there is a way you can open terminal then you can add a sudo password in the live cd,

sudo passwd ubuntu
IF you cannot open terminal, switch to tty1 and change the sudo password with Ctrl + Alt + F1 and then try again

critin
March 24th, 2012, 04:15 AM
When I select INSTALL UBUNTU, Ubuntu presents me with the " enter your administrators password" box. As I have never set a password, I have no idea what to enter! Leaving it blank and pressing enter does not work! All wrong answers receive either Incorrect password, try again or the error message: Failed to run /usr/ bin/ubiquity'gtk_ui' as user root. Therefore, I cannot get the machine to make the install permanent!!
I downloaded Ubuntu ver.10.04-LTS-desk-amd64 and the wubi and ran the md5 hash check which showed a good, clean copy. So I burned it to disc and verified disc. Then I inserted disc into machine that I want to install on and selected check disc from Ubuntu list. The tool reported the disc to be okay. This machine has Win 7-64bit running correctly on it.
After selecting language, it does NOT matter whether I choose "Try first.." or "Install" as machine ALWAYS builds the "Try first without any changes" desktop. When this Ubuntu desktop is ready, I AM UNABLE TO ACCESS TERMINAL! Terminal/ command prompt starts in bottom bar, but disappears after 2 seconds.
How do I solve this? How do I make my Ubuntu install permanently?

If you have installed Wubi, ubuntu is already permanent. It is running similar to a Windows program except you open it via the start-up screen instead of choosing a program.

There is no 'Try First' with Wubi. Is this a brand new install? Have you restarted and do both Windows and Wubi (Ubuntu) show on the start up screen?

Not quite sure what the issue is.

PhantomTurtle
March 24th, 2012, 04:21 AM
If you have installed Wubi, ubuntu is already permanent. It is running similar to a Windows program except you open it via the start-up screen instead of choosing a program.

There is no 'Try First' with Wubi. Is this a brand new install? Have you restarted and do both Windows and Wubi (Ubuntu) show on the start up screen?

Not quite sure what the issue is.

I think he means that he is trying to install it from a live cd/usb and the installer wont launch.

helmcken
March 24th, 2012, 04:26 AM
To Critin: This is a new install attempt from a disc. Yes, it is running Ubuntu similar to a ******* program. I want to select "Install" to make Ubuntu install permanent in a dual-boot with the existing Win 7. But, in that temporary mode, cannot install. Must power off or reboot. When I do either, Win 7 boots as normal with no sign of Ubuntu anywhere.
I have NEVER set a password and canNOT access terminal to go sudo with commands. What to do?

helmcken
March 24th, 2012, 04:29 AM
IF you cannot open terminal, switch to tty1 and change the sudo password with Ctrl + Alt + F1 and then try again

Phantom Turtle: How do I do that? Meaning when and where do I switch this TTY. Also, in order to change sudo password, I must enter original password. I NEVER CREATED A PASSWORD. How do I guess what that is?

helmcken
March 24th, 2012, 05:09 AM
I solved this myself. I downloaded, md5-hash-checked, burned to disc and verified burn on the non-64bit-version! When I ran the Ubuntu 10.04.4-desk-i386.iso version, it actually installed as it is supposed to! Now, I do not know why the 64-bit version of Ubuntu will not install on a 64-bit architecture computer currently running Win 7-64bit. All I can say is if you are experiencing these same troubles, try this fix!
Thank-you to all who replied in attempt to help!