PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update problem? unresolvable

hrock
March 23rd, 2012, 03:36 PM
on starting up date manager i get this mesage

"An unresolvable problem occurred while initialising the package information.

Please report this bug for the 'update-manager' package and try to include the following error message:

'E:Problem parsing dependency Depends, E:Error occurred while processing mozilla-openthesaurus-de (NewVersion1), E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_lucid_universe_ binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.' "

its the same with synaplic

a nice simple easy solution would be good.

thank you

hrock

hrock
March 23rd, 2012, 03:37 PM
well when copped and pasted here the simile's come out of the wood work.

Bucky Ball
March 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Have you got them both open at the same time??? If so, close one and try again.

Which Ubuntu release are you using?

plucky
March 23rd, 2012, 08:58 PM
on starting up date manager i get this mesage

"An unresolvable problem occurred while initialising the package information.

Please report this bug for the 'update-manager' package and try to include the following error message:

'E:Problem parsing dependency Depends, E:Error occurred while processing mozilla-openthesaurus-de (NewVersion1), E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_lucid_universe_ binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.' "

its the same with synaplic

a nice simple easy solution would be good.

thank you

hrock

Open a terminal and run
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo apt-get update and see if that fixes it.

Good Luck

hrock
March 24th, 2012, 11:22 AM
well it would seem that update manager had crashed so was sort of still running and it did the same thing after the first restart but after the 2nd one it did not start and when i started it every thing seems fine.

thanks for the help its the first time in 3 years ubuntu has come close to not sorting its self out on its own