PDA

View Full Version : .gpx reader for ubuntu

johntkucz
March 23rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hello Ubuntu community,
I love ubuntu and linux. So much that I have devoted an entire website to it. Great. Marvelous. I am also interested in .gpx (xml formatted gps tracks/routes). I would like to plug in my .gpx tracks to a nifty ubuntu/linux program that reads those and would greatly prefer avoiding using a windows program (like garmin mapsource).

Also, i need to upload my data to garmin connect and that uses a communicator plugin which is for windows. anyone know if that is wine-able?? or someway to do that otherwise?

cheers. thanks.

-- John

jtappin
June 7th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Hello Ubuntu community,
I am also interested in .gpx (xml formatted gps tracks/routes). I would like to plug in my .gpx tracks to a nifty ubuntu/linux program that reads those and would greatly prefer avoiding using a windows program (like garmin mapsource).

Better late than never:
gpsbabel and gpsbabelfe (in package gpsbabel-gui) can read .gpx files and output a number of formats including .csv that can then be read by LibreOffice Calc.

For putting them onto maps, I haven't found an alternative to mapsource under wine.

Cheesehead
June 8th, 2012, 05:11 AM
qlandkartegt (in the Ubuntu repositories) is a map application that can handle gpx tracks, and it communicates with my old Garmin etrex Vista.