PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to set screen-savers on Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10, 11.04 and 11.10

ankushub
March 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hi Friends,

Recently in my company a new project came which requires users to use Linux as a Desktop and Ubuntu has been preferred as some of the users where already using Ubuntu.

Most of the things are set except we need to enable customized screen saver(yet to create a customized screen saver) on different Ubuntu versions.

Some of the users are using Unity (11.04,11.10) and some are using Gnome (2/3) and KDE.

We would like to push this screen saver in a script through Puppet(already running in the company).

So what is the correct way to configure screen saver with customized settings.

Searching on the Internet and Forums and I came across the below commands to activate the screen savers for the users. But when I run these commands the user settings for screen saver remains the same

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type int --set /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_delay 4
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type boolean --set /apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_enabled true
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type boolean --set /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled true
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --set --type list --list-type=string /apps/gnome-screensaver/themes [blank-only]

Output of gconftool-2 -R /apps/gnome-screensaver

gconftool-2 -R /apps/gnome-screensaver
lock_delay = 0
themes = [screensavers-personal-slideshow,screensavers-hypertorus,screensavers-gltext,screensavers-glslideshow,screensavers-glschool,screensavers-glmatrix,screensavers-glcells,screensavers-glblur,screensavers-fuzzyflakes,screensavers-ubuntu_theme,screensavers-footlogo-floaters,screensavers-fiberlamp,screensavers-cosmos-slideshow,screensavers-antspotlight]
logout_command =
theme = screensavers-ubuntu_theme
power_management_delay = 30
logout_enabled = false
embedded_keyboard_enabled = true
embedded_keyboard_command = /usr/bin/cellwriter --xid --keyboard-only
logout_delay = 120
idle_delay = 3
user_switch_enabled = true
lock_dialog_theme = default
mode = random
status_message_enabled = true
cycle_delay = 10
idle_activation_enabled = true
lock_enabled = true

Whereas the User settings for ScreenSaver -> Regard the Computer as idle after 5 minutes and the Theme is "Random".

Please let me know what is the correct way to set the things so that those are persistent across reboots.

Regards

Ankush