PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Virtual box and Fedora

UltimateCat
March 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
Having trouble understanding about other distro's-

Maybe I misunderstood....Do I need to install virtual box in order for Fedora to work?

haqking
March 22nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Having trouble understanding about other distro's-

Maybe I misunderstood....Do I need to install virtual box in order for Fedora to work?

if you want to run fedora as a virtual machine then you need to install some type of virtualisation software yes, virtualbox being one of them.

is that what you want to do ?

snowpine
March 22nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
VirtualBox is one possible method to test-drive other distros (like Fedora). The advantage being you can test in the virtual machine without rebooting, or even test multiple distros at the same time (if your computer is fast enough).

You can also burn a Live CD or Live USB, if you prefer that method. The advantage is that you'd see how Fedora performs on your actual physical hardware.

Hope that answers your question? :)

UltimateCat
March 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
I have a quad core so I think my system is ok-

So if I understand you correctly....virtual box is just a tool for using and trying out a distro or more than one distro but is not necessary?

snowpine
March 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
VirtualBox creates one or more "virtual machines" (VM's). Each VM "guest" runs like a computer-within-a-computer. Basically it allows you to have different operating systems running at the same time, each in its own window like an application.

UltimateCat
March 24th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Snowpine:

Thank You