PDA

View Full Version : a small c++ and java games.

jaho22
March 22nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
i have ubuntu on my home computer, i want to develop small c++ and java games with my computer, and i want to put them to web and ask a small payment for them, this is my hobby, i am not a pro.

do i need to use a virus scanner other than clamav, what the eu law says about ubuntu developing ?

MG&TL
March 22nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
If you already have antivirus, more than one is likely to be paranoia. Personally, I don't use firewall, or antivirus either, but they are personal choices.

What about ubuntu developing? You can, it is legal, it is legal to charge for it. Just check the licensing of any libraries you use, just to make sure you don't need to do anything.

Let us know how they go, and good luck.

r-senior
March 22nd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Have you considered writing games for Android and putting them on the Android marketplace?

stchman
March 22nd, 2012, 11:20 PM
Virus scanners are not needed for Ubuntu. The file permissions are security enough.

kaspar_silas
April 12th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Have you considered writing games for Android and putting them on the Android marketplace?

+1 this is a much easier market to get into and suits small games.

davetv
April 12th, 2012, 05:03 PM
+1 for the Android marketplace. It allows small development teams to achieve great sales via innovation in ideas (bug free is important) , with adoption driven by popularity driven by adoption... In opposition the market place is driven by advertising and small teams more than struggle to compete.

+1 for IOS development too ... Many people have had success with iPhone/Pad games. The marketing aspects are similar. You need an Apple development licence and an Apple programming platform too ... not so good.

With the Android platform, there are many devices with different screen resolutions and hardware and your game will have to cope with these variances. With the Apple platform, the variance of the platform hardware is much less making it easier to cope with multiple Apple devices.

All stuff to think about - but if I was going to write small games for profit, I would use one of these platforms. Sales could be none or huge - driven by popularity, not hype.

Damascushead
April 19th, 2012, 04:45 PM
+1 for Android...you are inquiring about java...and what do ya know...Android + java = happiness.

Unless you feel like learning objective C for IOS.

kevinharper
April 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I +1 everything regarding Java on Android devices. I'd even DL Android OS and install it as VM so you can mess all you want with it and not run the risk of doing something nasty to your phone/device.