PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome-Shell update notifications

alco75
March 22nd, 2012, 10:33 AM
The update manager doesn't notify me of updates since I switched from Xubuntu Oneiric to Gnome Shell Oneiric. I have "Automatically check for updates: Daily" and "When there are security updates: Display immediately" set. But I don't get any update notifications (other Gnome Shell notifications work fine). Anyone seen this before? Or know how it can be fixed?

enterdavertex
March 22nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
The gnome shell has multiple bug, i strongly suggest you not to use this desktop interface.

Frogs Hair
March 22nd, 2012, 02:28 PM
The update manager doesn't notify me of updates since I switched from Xubuntu Oneiric to Gnome Shell Oneiric. I have "Automatically check for updates: Daily" and "When there are security updates: Display immediately" set. But I don't get any update notifications (other Gnome Shell notifications work fine). Anyone seen this before? Or know how it can be fixed?

I have not seen this on Ubuntu , one of the first things that happened when I logged in to the shell was an update notification. The update notification packages in synaptic appear to native to Ubuntu .

markbl
March 22nd, 2012, 11:54 PM
The gnome shell has multiple bug, i strongly suggest you not to use this desktop interface.

WT? One of the reasons I prefer gnome-shell to Unity is that it has less annoying bugs.

To the OP, sorry but the update-manager pops up for me every few days. Note that update-manager is a bit odd on ubuntu gnome-shell because it is a rare app that starts and then immediately minimises itself with a prompt pending. On Unity this works ok because the launcher icon pulses but gnome-shell has no visible launcher and the icon does not pulse. So you just typically see a small flash and then you will only see the update window and prompt if you go into activities view. Update manager should be changed to give a system notification, at least on gnome-shell.

Bobhuber
March 24th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Sorry - I don't know where you got this impression but it is totally WRONG. If your hardware supports it gnome shell is very stable and used by many people.

buckeyered80
March 24th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Yep. I like the Gnome-Shell too. I can't figure out why Linus had such harsh words about it, though. Anyway...about the update manager....try a
sudo apt-get update from the terminal and then see if it pops up afterwards.