PDA

View Full Version : Damn Small Linux site down?

freakypcteck
March 21st, 2012, 06:59 PM
I just downloaded DSL the other day, i cannot access the site from any of my computes... i am assuming the site is down? can anyone else access it?

snowpine
March 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM
The project was abandoned in 2008 so I am not surprised their site is down.

There have been no updates, security patches, etc. for DSL in years. I really cannot recommend it in the year 2012, not with so many other cool active projects like TinyCore, SliTaz, AntiX, Lubuntu, etc.

freakypcteck
March 21st, 2012, 07:07 PM
wow... really ok? I just installed DSL on an old Libretto 110ct any other versions that will run good on it?

Thanks for the quick reply

snowpine
March 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
I am not familiar with your specific computer model. Hardware specs?

The oldest/lowest hardware configuration that I personally recommend for Linux is:

1 GHz CPU (x86 processor (Pentium 4 or better))
1 GiB RAM (system memory)
15 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
800 by 600 screen resolution

Those are the minimum specs taken from: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements and available from Craigslist for under $100 in metropolitan areas.

If DSL works for your needs, then go for it! The only challenge to be aware is there are no updates, no repository of installable apps, no user community, and no active developers. Good luck! :)

Perfect Storm
March 21st, 2012, 07:16 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

freakypcteck
March 21st, 2012, 08:22 PM
Intel Pentium 233 MHz MMX, 32 MB RAM (64 MB max), 4.3 GB hard disk, 7.1" TFT display

i have had this laptop sitting around for a few years now just got off my butt and did something with it... LOL! now that i did there is not much i can do with it as there is no support for it... damn small linux...

i tried puppy linux but i cannot get it loaded i am sure i am doing something wrong... No USB boot or CD boot option i need to install on another computer then put the drive in the libretto then finish the install that way.

any other versions out there that might be good?

winh8r
March 21st, 2012, 08:40 PM
One of those that was mentioned by snowpine has proved to be a really good little OS in my opinion, particularly when you are dealing with either very old hardware or very limited resources.

SliTaz is pleasingly user-friendly for a 30MB distro.

Find out more about it here:

http://www.slitaz.org/en/

You can add to it as you need to from its own package manager.

Hope this helps

snowpine
March 21st, 2012, 08:47 PM
I would replace with an Asus EEE PC; you can get 1.6ghz processor, 1gb RAM, 320gb hard drive for $299 (substantially less 2nd-hand) and most models have excellent Ubuntu compatability.

But if DSL is running acceptably on the Libretto then there are plenty of fun projcts you can do despite the lack of official support. DSL was very popular in its day and so there is a ton of documentation on various websites. :)

CharlesA
March 21st, 2012, 08:52 PM
I would replace with an Asus EEE PC; you can get 1.6ghz processor, 1gb RAM, 320gb hard drive for $299 (substantially less 2nd-hand) and most models have excellent Ubuntu compatability.

But if DSL is running acceptably on the Libretto then there are plenty of fun projcts you can do despite the lack of official support. DSL was very popular in its day and so there is a ton of documentation on various websites. :)
+1. I was able to run Ubuntu fine on my Asus EEE 1005.

freakypcteck
March 21st, 2012, 08:59 PM
I just rediscovered VectorLinux i had it installed on a very old Desktop a couple of years ago. i will try and see if i can get it installed. good thing i have a bunch of laptop hard drives i can use so i do not mess up my DSL install.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

jwbrase
March 21st, 2012, 10:43 PM
I am not familiar with your specific computer model. Hardware specs?

The oldest/lowest hardware configuration that I personally recommend for Linux is:

Those are the minimum specs taken from: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements and available from Craigslist for under $100 in metropolitan areas.

Ubuntu is a rather heavy distro, and not suitable for determining the specs required for Linux in general.

Andrew_P
March 21st, 2012, 11:03 PM
I just downloaded DSL the other day, i cannot access the site from any of my computes... i am assuming the site is down? can anyone else access it?

It would help if you gave the URL that you tried. I found http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ through a search engine, and that link works as of a minute ago.

snowpine
March 21st, 2012, 11:06 PM
Confirmed; it was a temporary site outage. :)