PDA

View Full Version : Gimp view gets messed up

thorbs
March 21st, 2012, 11:55 AM
I am trying to work with Gimp and some bug (i think) keeps happening. The buttons for enlarging or removing the different gimp windows disapeer.Also it freezes so I can not move the different windows around or resize them.
The only solution I have been able to restart my computer, but it is every 15 minutes now it is happening.

Is this a known bug or am I doing anything wrong?

SeijiSensei
March 21st, 2012, 02:55 PM
How much memory does your computer have? Do you have a swap partition or swap file? Trying to open large images on a memory-starved machine can cause symptoms like the ones you're describing.

ofnuts
March 22nd, 2012, 01:01 AM
I am trying to work with Gimp and some bug (i think) keeps happening. The buttons for enlarging or removing the different gimp windows disapeer.Also it freezes so I can not move the different windows around or resize them.
The only solution I have been able to restart my computer, but it is every 15 minutes now it is happening.

Is this a known bug or am I doing anything wrong?>What version of Gimp are you running? What is your windows manager? I'm on 10.04 and have no problems with the 2.6.8 from the repository not with a 2.7.2 I compiled a while ago.

thorbs
March 22nd, 2012, 06:08 AM
I am actually a bit low on ram, I am thinking of updating anyway.

I am using the gimp 2.6.1 maybe I should update it as well.

ofnuts
March 22nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
I am actually a bit low on ram, I am thinking of updating anyway.

I am using the gimp 2.6.1 maybe I should update it as well.You should mostly take the one from the repository (2.6.8), because it has been tested with the rest of your distro. I wonder how you came to install something older that what your distro comes with...

SeijiSensei
March 22nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Try opening a few small images (< 100K) in the GIMP and see whether you experience the same problems. If not, it's almost certainly a memory issue.

Remember that the GIMP has to copy the entire image into memory in order for you to edit it and usually needs to make a second copy of the image in order to redraw it with any changes you make.