PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a living ?

rk0r
March 21st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hi

What do you all do for a living ?

lisati
March 21st, 2012, 10:06 AM
I don't.... there are, however, things I do for a "giving" :D

edit: a word of explanation. I give most of my time to Mrs Lisati. I also give about 4-5 hours of my time on Mondays at the office and every now and again at other places helping with mental-health related workshops and/or making videos for people. Sometimes I manage to actually help someone. Any money that comes in as a result is a bonus.

standingwave
March 21st, 2012, 10:12 AM
Electrical Engineering specializing in RF (radio freq) and wireless design. Antennas, RFI, EMI, etc.

Grenage
March 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Network Administrator; I wish I'd been a baker.

Thanks, lisati; now I feel like a selfish bugger. ;)

lisati
March 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM
Network Administrator; I wish I'd been a baker.

Thanks, lisati; now I feel like a selfish bugger. ;)
Don't panic! The edit was because I thought my initial reply was a bit cryptic. Both Mrs Lisati and myself have had health issues that could interfere with our ability to manage full time work (Mrs Lisati was in hospital several months last year recovering from a stroke), I'm thankful for whatever I manage to do beyond domestic duties.

Grenage
March 21st, 2012, 10:26 AM
And I thought an hour just visiting was bad; best of luck to both of you!

Elfy
March 21st, 2012, 10:29 AM
Fix RIBs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid-hulled_inflatable_boat) - wish I'd been a smith :p

I am though eternally grateful to bakers :lol:

lisati
March 21st, 2012, 10:29 AM
And I thought an hour just visiting was bad; best of luck to both of you!

Thanks, but we digress. Back in the days when I was single, one of the things I did was work as a programmer, mainly report programs based on data from an IBM 370's job accounting system.

HermanAB
March 21st, 2012, 11:39 AM
I play with aircraft.

ccrs8
March 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM
I worked for IBM. That sucked. Now I work for a university (we're in the Sweeet 16, baby!). It's awesome. I play around in databases and on webservers and wear t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. And convince people to use GNU/Linux, of course.

chili555
March 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM
I retire.

Previously, I worked for an insurance company, ending as VP-Human Resources and a member of the Board of Directors. I have volunteered for a variety of organizations before and after retirement. I greatly enjoy my contributions to the Ubuntu forums but, moreover, the freedom to throw a duffle in the trunk of my car and head to the beach or the mountains with no set schedule.

spynappels
March 21st, 2012, 04:17 PM
Managing and troubleshooting Mobile Data Optimization systems running on Solaris.

I like it, but I'd also like forestpiskie's job, I love boats and the sea!

Paqman
March 21st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Deep-cover sleeper agent.

(D'oh!)

rk0r
March 21st, 2012, 04:43 PM
answering my own question.. i work for Fujitsu. - always wanted to fly jets though :(

synaptix
March 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
Hi

A job. :popcorn:

rk0r
March 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
A job. :popcorn:

what eat popcorn >?

nice job!

QIII
March 21st, 2012, 04:57 PM
Since I gave up the somewhat troubling profession of travelling to foreign countries, meeting exotic people and killing them (a profession I would like to have younger generations find a way to make extinct), I have settled down to the more humane and constructive profession of software development.

Veterans For Peace

BertN45
March 21st, 2012, 06:29 PM
I worked for a big multi national Philips also known with brands as Magnevox or Norelco. In the early nineties this type of company became unreliable as an employer. So from 1995 till 2011 I worked as a freelance contractor mainly on 5 year contracts.

I worked in the fields of Computer Manufacturing (HW & SW) and Air Traffic Control (SW). My job and hobby were largely the same.

Now I am retired and enjoy the sun. My current hobby has been to develop a virtual machine cloud for Virtualbox, which is working, but still requires polishing, parameterisation and tuning. The objectives were to understand the internals of the cloud hype and to practice shell scripts. Everything could be done with shell scripts, so I produced 2000 lines of shell scripts.

nathan.the.sane
March 21st, 2012, 06:32 PM
Part time warehouse laborer, part time fire control in the field artillery. Full time cynic.

ccrs8
March 21st, 2012, 08:48 PM
<snip>a profession I would like to have younger generations find a way to make extinct</snip>

Some of us are trying, believe me. I live near Fort Bragg, so unfortunately I can also confirm that some of us are definitely NOT trying. Great job on the career change!

CharlesA
March 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM
I convert O2 to CO2. ;)

Bölvağur
March 21st, 2012, 11:51 PM
Programmer

knight2000
March 22nd, 2012, 12:53 AM
I write the systems for a company of around 30 people. Mostly PHP, xslt , web services and vb but I know quite alot of other languages and database formats. Our servers are Freebsd, windows and Ubuntu (some virtualised on vmware esxi host servers). I like it because I'm given the freedom to work how I want. Recently I'be been developing some Android apps that talk to the systems. Handy for when people are out and about.

wojox
March 22nd, 2012, 01:03 AM
jack of all trades, master of none :p

Docaltmed
March 22nd, 2012, 02:20 AM
Career #1: Award-winning journalist.

Career #2: physician.

Most important thing I've ever done: Raise two incredible kids.

dpny
March 22nd, 2012, 02:23 AM
Production/pre-press and write.

Bucky Ball
March 22nd, 2012, 02:28 AM
Think. Honours student doing musicology ... it's living but not 'a living'. ;)

farrinux
March 23rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
A toolmaker and breaker. :p

alco75
March 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Actual LAMP developer.
Aspiring Django developer.

Mikeb85
March 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
I cook at a restaurant my friend owns (my first career was as a baker/chef), and trade stocks (although I've been somewhat less active here as of late - taking a chance on exploration in Kurdistan, so patience is the order of the day - the market has also reached a near term top IMO). Also do a bit of 3D modelling, photography, sketches in my spare time, looking to monetize that into an Android/iOS app by the end of the year.

ranger1021994
March 23rd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Hi

Nothing really.. :P Relax on d sofa nd study :P :P :)

jfreak_
March 23rd, 2012, 07:45 PM
I get paid to study... :D

codemaniac
March 23rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Eat , sleep and Code .

samalex
March 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Hi

Believe it or not I'm an MS SQL Database Admin and Developer for a financial company. So at work it's only Microsoft products but at home it's all Linux and OSX :) No Windows systems there other than virtually.

BrokenKingpin
March 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Software Developer.

goldshirt9
March 23rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Aerospace inspector

rk0r
March 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Aerospace inspector

That sounds like an interesting job.. However i imagine it holds and extreme amount of responsibility. Saying that I administer over 14 thousand lan id accounts over 4 domains for a government agency :/

grautskaahl
March 25th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Think. Honours student doing musicology ... it's living but not 'a living'. ;)

People in general tend to think that way about anything related to liberal arts ;) I'm a music student and everytime I'm in my hometown to visit my family, they ask me how I'm going to make money when I'm done studying. Most of my family is pretty capitalist, so I try not to listen to anything they say too closely :p

Bandit
March 26th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Engineer in Research and Developement. I design it, build it, program it and test it until it breaks. Then start all over again :lolflag: