PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Multiple screensavers slowing system

LanceHaverkamp
March 21st, 2012, 03:45 AM
Running xubuntu 11.10 with xscreensaver & rss-glx screensaver (Euphoria). My system is lagging late in the day. When I open the task manager I see Multiple screensavers, all Euphoria, burning-up resources.

How do I prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Lance

Rodney9
March 21st, 2012, 04:25 AM
Go to Menu / Settings / Settings Manager / Screensaver / Mode and Disable.

Rodney

LanceHaverkamp
March 21st, 2012, 06:35 AM
Go to Menu / Settings / Settings Manager / Screensaver / Mode and Disable.

Rodney

Have an answer that's not funny (and I use that term very loosely).

Frogs Hair
March 21st, 2012, 09:04 PM
One reason the screen saver was made optional is because most non tube monitors don't require one . Unless a screen saver is needed they serve as eye candy and waste of resources . I don't know of a way to keep a process from using resources with out disabling it. Using a very basic screen saver may use less resources .

LanceHaverkamp
March 22nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
One reason the screen saver was made optional is because most non tube monitors don't require one . Unless a screen saver is needed they serve as eye candy and waste of resources . I don't know of a way to keep a process from using resources with out disabling it. Using a very basic screen saver may use less resources .
One instance of a screensaver that was exiting cleanly would be fine. But I have several instances of the identical screensaver that are continuing to consume resources in the background, after returning to active use.

Peripheral Visionary
March 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
I simply disable Screensavers in my Xubuntu because they randomly lock up the computer or turn the monitor to sleep and it can't be awakened without a forced power-off and reboot. Unless you have an old cathode-ray-tube monitor, really. Don't bother with a screensaver at all.