PDA

View Full Version : Our Browser Doesn't Suck Anymore

neu5eeCh
March 21st, 2012, 12:53 AM
I know.... it's like throwing raw tenderloin into a pool of sharks, but I can't resist:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/03/20/microsoft_s_new_pitch_our_browser_doesn_t_suck_any more.html

There may never be a year of the Linux Desktop, but at least there's this.:popcorn:

doorknob60
March 21st, 2012, 01:20 AM
Yeah, it doesn't "suck" anymore, but it's still the 5th best major browser on the market, behind Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari, so I'm still not gonna use it, and I'm still gonna recommend other browser to other people, just I won't yell at them and force them to switch if the use IE, as long as they keep it up to date. Keeping it up to date has seemed to be the real issue: I often found people still using IE 6 even after IE 8 was out, and there's still XP users that use IE, but XP doesn't support IE 9, so again, those users need to switch.

Linuxratty
March 21st, 2012, 04:19 AM
Ok,I enjoyed the ad...Don't give a hoot about IE though.

Merk42
March 21st, 2012, 04:21 AM
...4th best major browser on the market, behind Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari...
That's some good math you got going.

QIII
March 21st, 2012, 04:33 AM
Reminds me of an old military joke, which I once saw rendered as a cartoon.

Above the battlefield, an Air Force pilot looks on a swampy area and says. "It sure sucks down there."

A young infantryman, slogging through the mud and goo of the swamp says, "This sucks."

An Airborne Ranger (HOO-AH!) up to his chest in the slime says, "I like the way this sucks!"

A few hundred meters away from him, a Special Forces guy up to his neck in the muck with a snake in his mouth says, "I wish this could suck more!"

Sometimes things suck good.

doorknob60
March 21st, 2012, 06:59 AM
That's some good math you got going.
Woops *facepalm* What was going through my mind was "there are four browsers better than it", but I wrote something else :D :lolflag:

standingwave
March 21st, 2012, 07:34 AM
Reminds me of an old military joke, which I once saw rendered as a cartoon.

Above the battlefield, an Air Force pilot looks on a swampy area and says. "It sure sucks down there."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/Righty/Thissucks.jpg

neu5eeCh
March 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Ok,I enjoyed the ad...Don't give a hoot about IE though.

Neither do I, but if Microsoft made a Linux version of IE 9, I wonder how many users here would use it?

forrestcupp
March 21st, 2012, 02:12 PM
Lol. "The only thing it's good for at all is downloading other browsers!"

forrestcupp
March 21st, 2012, 02:17 PM
I often found people still using IE 6 even after IE 8 was out
On the other hand, I just upgraded my mother-in-law's Firefox because I found out she was still using Firefox 3.x. After I did that, I had to re-explain how to use Gmail because the old version of Firefox wouldn't support a lot of changes they made.

Dragonbite
March 21st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Neither do I, but if Microsoft made a Linux version of IE 9, I wonder how many users here would use it?

We developers so they can see how it looks in all of the major browsers.

I don't know what it is with Microsoft, but every time they try something they just seem to be "off the mark" even slightly.

Yes, most people have moved away from IE, but jokes like this does little to bring people back! How about some technological reason IN ADDITION TO marketing?

When Firefox was beating out IE like there was no tomorrow, it had something IE didn't... tabs! IE was the LAST one to include tabs. App Store for extensions? been there, done that (Mozilla and Chrome at least).

I do like their Web development/inspection tools but that's about it!

Sounds like the "giant" is still waking up!

forrestcupp
March 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
How about some technological reason IN ADDITION TO marketing?Unfortunately, the majority of users don't give a rip about technological reasons.

When Firefox was beating out IE like there was no tomorrow, it had something IE didn't... tabs! IE was the LAST one to include tabs.And in the new Metro version, they're ditching tabs again.

MG&TL
March 21st, 2012, 04:06 PM
And in the new Metro version, they're ditching tabs again.

Is that wise? I am...intrigued by the outcome of that decision...:)

neu5eeCh
March 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM

Really? How does that work? Does it spawn a new window with each new website?

Dragonbite
March 21st, 2012, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately, the majority of users don't give a rip about technological reasons.

I was meaning that Firefox was getting great press and people were switching over because Firefox was more secure and included things like tabs and extensions.

Without these to argue for switching, adoption would have been slower because most people don't care what they use, so long as it works.

With a few high-profile people saying "We recommend Firefox for security", then there is a reason to switch. "How did you do that?" "extensions" also was a great way to "sell" the idea of using something else.

Even with all of this advertisement and so on, IE is still being used by enough people to make up the 4th (or 5ht ;) ) spot.

neu5eeCh
March 21st, 2012, 04:43 PM
I was meaning that Firefox was getting great press and people were switching over because Firefox was more secure and included things like tabs and extensions.

That's a good point. MS is in a catch-22. They can't say why users abandoned their browser (security was a good part of it) without admitting that they had security problem -- something which MS seems loathe to do. All they can say, in the add, is that it's "good". Hard for me to see how that's going to work for them.

forrestcupp
March 21st, 2012, 05:40 PM

Without these to argue for switching, adoption would have been slower because most people don't care what they use, so long as it works.

With a few high-profile people saying "We recommend Firefox for security", then there is a reason to switch. "How did you do that?" "extensions" also was a great way to "sell" the idea of using something else.

Even with all of this advertisement and so on, IE is still being used by enough people to make up the 4th (or 5ht ;) ) spot.

I agree with you. I was just adding that they are about to do something really stupid by removing the functionality that got them back into the competition. The metro version isn't even going to be able to play Flash. They are going to have two separate apps for metro IE and desktop IE. Yet Firefox will end up being able to give you the option to choose within the same app.

It seems to me like Microsoft is backtracking in order to push their cruddy Metro. I think Win8 is going to be the next disaster, like Me.

Merk42
March 21st, 2012, 06:05 PM
And in the new Metro version, they're ditching tabs again.That's a bit misleading. Yes Metro IE10 doesn't have "tabs" per se, but you can manage multiple websites in once instance of IE.
With a right click (or maybe a swipe on touch devices?) the UI (both top and bottom) appears, giving you a preview window of other 'tabs'.
It's like what Mozilla did with Firefox Mobile, just along the top instead of the left.

BigSilly
March 21st, 2012, 06:22 PM
Wow, that's quite a devastating ad campaign from such a large corporation. To make such bold admissions! I'm genuinely shocked.

It doesn't change the fact that I still wouldn't use IE9 as my main browser. It's OK, quick enough and that, but still misses a lot of functionality that I'm very much used to on "other browsers". And it still lacks a spellchecker, which is a cardinal sin imho.

I guess the best I can say about IE nowadays is, "I don't hate it with a passion any more". :D

Dragonbite
March 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
It seems to me like Microsoft is backtracking in order to push their cruddy Metro. I think Win8 is going to be the next disaster, like Me.

I don't think you are such a disaster! :lolflag:

forrestcupp
March 21st, 2012, 09:31 PM
That's a bit misleading. Yes Metro IE10 doesn't have "tabs" per se, but you can manage multiple websites in once instance of IE.
With a right click (or maybe a swipe on touch devices?) the UI (both top and bottom) appears, giving you a preview window of other 'tabs'.
It's like what Mozilla did with Firefox Mobile, just along the top instead of the left.
214710But from a user perspective, that's not really any better than the old multiple window approach.

I don't think you are such a disaster! :lolflag:Lol. I was wondering how long that would take. :)

synaptix
March 21st, 2012, 09:33 PM
Dear Microsoft,

Your browser still sucks and will always suck.

Regards,
Firefox User

neu5eeCh
March 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM

:-? You have got to be kidding me!?! What is wrong with developers? Is Clem the only sane one? This sounds like the Gnomification of Windows8. Instead of everything taking one click (ooh look, there's a tab, let's click on it!) we've now put one more layer, one more click, between tasks; and all so that we can have an oh so, "modern" interface? Even Unity suffers this sin. Synapse is quicker than SuperKey because I don't have to navigate to the only choice Unity is giving me. ](*,)

forrestcupp
March 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM
:-? You have got to be kidding me!?! What is wrong with developers? Is Clem the only sane one? This sounds like the Gnomification of Windows8. Instead of everything taking one click (ooh look, there's a tab, let's click on it!) we've now put one more layer, one more click, between tasks; and all so that we can have an oh so, "modern" interface? Even Unity suffers this sin. Synapse is quicker than SuperKey because I don't have to navigate to the only choice Unity is giving me. ](*,)

At least Gnome Shell doesn't force its apps to look like their modern interface. That's a step better than Unity, which does, and a leap better than Metro.

Paqman
March 21st, 2012, 10:33 PM

Metro (unlike Unity) is primarily a touch interface. I'm no UI expert, but I'm guessing the reason you don't see tabs in touch interfaces is because they don't work very well. I'm guessing they'd have to take up a stupid amount of space to avoid being fiddly and annoying.

wildmanne39
March 21st, 2012, 10:36 PM
Hi, according to this link 12.04 is going to have the real gnome classic like it never changed.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/

MG&TL
March 21st, 2012, 11:23 PM
Not the real gnome classic, just a much improved (I can testify) version of GNOME classic.

It is pretty awesome though. :) Compiz works nicely too.

ccrs8
March 22nd, 2012, 12:28 AM
I like how the video talks about uninstalling IE, as if that is possible. I also like how when the kid was "uninstalling" it, he was dragging and dropping it in to the trash can like it was a Mac. It's like the creators of the comercial have never used Windows.

But, in all honestly, the IE9 is not all that bad. Not as good as many other browsers, but not bad. And since it is still the most popular browser, upgrading it to "not bad" is pretty good.

As for the Gnome Classic news item, I read it but didn't think it was anything new. It's actually Gnome Fallback, and that's available in 11.10. Am I missing something?

chipbuster
March 22nd, 2012, 04:49 AM
I'll be honest, IE9 isn't terrible.

I mean, I love my firefox, but IE9 just isn't a bad browser. It's not like IE 6 (still installed on a computer in my lab) where tabbing is a joke and nothing really makes sense. I've installed it for a few people and used it a bit myself, and it feels like a full-featured, modern browser.

I'm still sticking to me Mozilla products though :3

SemiExpert
March 22nd, 2012, 05:14 AM
Hi, according to this link 12.04 is going to have the real gnome classic like it never changed.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/

The Gnome Classic in this case is Gnome 3 with a bottom panel, a bottom panel whiched crashed twice in a row. Then, there was the freakish CPU issue, where one core was constantly at 100% in both Gnome Classic and Unity. Weird. I removed gnome-panel, and I haven't had any problems since. I'm sure there's a fix in the works, but for now, I'd advise against gnome-panel for everyday use on 12.04.

SemiExpert
March 22nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
I know.... it's like throwing raw tenderloin into a pool of sharks, but I can't resist:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/03/20/microsoft_s_new_pitch_our_browser_doesn_t_suck_any more.html

There may never be a year of the Linux Desktop, but at least there's this.:popcorn:

I'm not even sure why Microsoft bothers with IE as a brand or as a browser. I understand that Microsoft wants to compete with Google in search, hence the huge losses from Bing, but that's because it isn't a compelling search engine, since anyone can use Bing from any browser. Honestly, I can't imagine why Microsoft is persisting with the Internet Explorer brand, or continuing Internet Explorer development. Even Microsoft could probably manage a simple Webkit browser. Well, maybe not. Probably not. Maybe Microsoft would be better off if they dropped IE and provided financial support for Firefox.

azcrumpty
March 22nd, 2012, 05:42 AM
I won't use it because I like having the same browser on multiple platforms which IE and Safari don't give me.

mamamia88
March 22nd, 2012, 05:55 AM
I might actually start using bing because you can earn microsoft points for buying stuff on xbox

forrestcupp
March 22nd, 2012, 12:00 PM
I like how the video talks about uninstalling IE, as if that is possible.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I watched that.

MisterGaribaldi
March 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM
Well, Microsoft did give up producing IE... for Mac OS X, that is. :p

It's still a flagship product of theirs. And, all kidding aside, if IE went away, there are probably millions of Windows users who would just sit there, blankly, having no idea where "the Internet" was.

Many of those millions are American school teachers, sadly.

BeRoot ReBoot
March 22nd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Lol. "The only thing it's good for at all is downloading other browsers!"

The only reason it's used even for this is that windows doesn't come with wget.

lovinglinux
March 22nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
OMG, I did something like that yesterday. My father came to my house with his notebook and asked me to fix a printer communication error and to clean up stuff he doesn't need. I did exactly that, but also replaced Adobe Reader with FoxIt and replaced IE with Chrome as default browser. Installing Firefox would be overkill, since he doesn't even use the bookmarks feature.

wildmanne39
March 22nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Hi SemiExpert, you need to realise that 12.04 is still in testing, I did not say it was ready for use yet.
Thanks

neu5eeCh
March 22nd, 2012, 11:40 PM
OMG, I did something like that yesterday.

Yeah, and I've almost used the same words as the commercial. I've been known to say: "IE is a convenient app Microsoft provides to download Firefox or Chrome."

neu5eeCh
March 22nd, 2012, 11:47 PM
By the way, I'm a little surprised no one is commenting on the commercial's not-so-subtle innuendo that anyone who presently doesn't like IE needs psychiatric care and is delusional;).

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
March 23rd, 2012, 12:49 AM
IE is actually good for 2 things the other is installing widows updates (unless trying to get a virus then it is 3)
with ie9 at least you don't have to bend over backwards and kiss your foot to make something work in it
the last time i got rid of ie was on a windows 2000 laptop the latest Firefox (vs 8 or 9) actually installed on windows 2000 witch was a real shock
now you can actually google the weather on that laptop and actually get the weather:lolflag:

forrestcupp
March 23rd, 2012, 01:37 AM
IE is actually good for 2 things the other is installing widows updates

Good point. You have to have it for that.

Dragonbite
March 23rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
By the way, I'm a little surprised no one is commenting on the commercial's not-so-subtle innuendo that anyone who presently doesn't like IE needs psychiatric care and is delusional;).

I thought we are!:lolflag:

MisterGaribaldi
March 23rd, 2012, 03:18 AM

Hello, and thank you for calling the Psychiatric Hotline! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwZrSxgHL-A)