PDA

View Full Version : Making Money off of Bad Windows Users?

mamamia88
March 20th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Has anyone tried to make money on sites like craigslist? I'm a recent college grad and only work 16 hours a week right now so i have most of day free. I am thinking have people drop off laptops or desktops i them a spring cleaning (virus/malware scan, ccleaner, defrag, and registry cleaning) and send em back. worst case scenario is i backup and completely reinstall windows. i actually enjoy doing this stuff since i can do it while watching tv or sitting on the porch drinking a beer. What would you charge for something like this?

IWantFroyo
March 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM
The cheaper you make it, the more computers you'll have to fix. The more money you make it, the less.
Try to find a balance relating to how long it takes you to do it. Maybe $100 an hour? (comparing to what I know of Best Buy's charges)

wojox
March 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
i actually enjoy doing this stuff since i can do it while watching tv or sitting on the porch drinking a beer.

I wouldn't advertise that on your listing. :lolflag:

CharlesA
March 20th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The cheaper you make it, the more computers you'll have to fix. The more money you make it, the less.
Try to find a balance relating to how long it takes you to do it. Maybe $100 an hour? (comparing to what I know of Best Buy's charges)
+1. I was charging 35 an hour and got totally owned by how much work some of these machines needed.

winh8r
March 20th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Has anyone tried to make money on sites like craigslist? I'm a recent college grad and only work 16 hours a week right now so i have most of day free. I am thinking have people drop off laptops or desktops i them a spring cleaning (virus/malware scan, ccleaner, defrag, and registry cleaning) and send em back. worst case scenario is i backup and completely reinstall windows. i actually enjoy doing this stuff since i can do it while watching tv or sitting on the porch drinking a beer. What would you charge for something like this?

Set the charges on a sliding scale from a "basic" defrag right up to the "full backup and re-install". Bronze,Silver, Gold and Platinum. That way you only do what they are paying for.
Otherwise, like CharlesA says, you end up spending a lot of your time for very little financial reward.

Small businesses, and newly started businesses are another possibility, as they will always be looking for ways to keep their costs down in the beginning. A lot of new businesses just make do with existing hardware that they own rather than going for the expense of an IT contract with a large company.If you get in there at the start , one day you will be the big IT company!!

CharlesA
March 20th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Set the charges on a sliding scale from a "basic" defrag right up to the "full backup and re-install". Bronze,Silver, Gold and Platinum. That way you only do what they are paying for.

Indeed. That's the best way to do it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 21st, 2012, 12:36 AM
I have only restored computers for friends and family. I haven't done it as a business.

What do you do when the Windows user doesn't have the CDs/DVD to re-install the OS if that is what is needed? I ask that; because, some manufactures don't provide CDs/DVD, sometimes the Windows user never burned their own CDs/DVD when that is the manufactures policy, and sometimes the restore partition is missing, or infected. Do you contact the manufacturer of the computer to get a licensed copy of their OS from them, and how do you charge for that? Or, how do you go about charging them for the license if the original manufacturer will not provide one? Do you charge to install one of the OEM licenses you have?

I am thinking of doing something like this to supplement my income after I retire and need some extra money.

IWantFroyo
March 21st, 2012, 12:38 AM
Hmm... Maybe I should get into this business. My friends look to me as a source of free computer help, so I must be doing something right.