PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remove "New Ubuntu Realease" from Update Manager

koala15
March 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I am running Ubuntu 11.10. For a number of reasons, I do not wish to upgrade (at present) to a subsequent Ubuntu release.

Since the system is shared, I do not wish another user to (accidentally, or otherwise) press the button in the Update Manager to carry out the upgrade to the next (or subsequent) release via the "Upgrade" button in Update Manager..

Question, is there a way to remove the "New Release upgrade" and the "Upgrade" button from the Update Manager GUI?

Thank you all.

darkod
March 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
If I am not mistaken, if you enter in Software Sources and look at the part referring to the upgrade, you can tell it not to ask you to upgrade at all. The other options should be like "all releases (normal releases", "LTS releases only"...

plucky
March 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I am running Ubuntu 11.10. For a number of reasons, I do not wish to upgrade (at present) to a subsequent Ubuntu release.

Since the system is shared, I do not wish another user to (accidentally, or otherwise) press the button in the Update Manager to carry out the upgrade to the next (or subsequent) release via the "Upgrade" button in Update Manager..

Question, is there a way to remove the "New Release upgrade" and the "Upgrade" button from the Update Manager GUI?

Thank you all.

Open Software Sources > Updates and change the "Notify me of new Ubuntu Version" to Never

Good Luck

MG&TL
March 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Or you could make the other users normal (non-sudoers) users, that way they physically could not install a new release. Not sure if that's practical in your situation or not.