PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Driving Cars

gnaservicesinc
March 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM
http://cnn.com/video/?/video/business/2012/03/19/future-cities-quest-driverless-car-berlin.cnn At 2:26 in the tape we get a flash of the screen showing the car-driving computer.

Just thought it was neat.

Copper Bezel
March 20th, 2012, 09:13 AM
That's not what you see when the car is actually in motion, though. There's a blue taskbar at the bottom, and it looks very much like Windows Vista.

KiwiNZ
March 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
spelling corrected in thread title

linoseros
March 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Very cool I like it

CharlesA
March 20th, 2012, 07:21 PM
That's not what you see when the car is actually in motion, though. There's a blue taskbar at the bottom, and it looks very much like Windows Vista.

Yeah. It's probably running Win7 on that laptop.

cariboo
March 21st, 2012, 05:57 AM
I had a look, it looks like the system driving the car is Debian, the default theme is blue, I've got a screenshot, but it isn't very good, but there isn't a start button like Windows 7 or 8. Earlier in the video as gnaservicesinc said, that definitely is Unity running on the system.

gradinaruvasile
March 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM
That system that runs Ubuntu seems to be used for writing the c++ code in qt creator.
But the driving program seems to run under some type of Linux too - it has a classic bottom taskbar with 3 open windows on it, and 3 more icons, probably a "start" menu and 2 shortcuts (file manager and terminal?). It does not look like any windows versions to date. More like lxde.

Copper Bezel
March 21st, 2012, 07:48 AM
I wonder if it uses ROS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROS_(Robot_Operating_System))? (It's a professional robotics suite that is happiest on Ubuntu and doesn't run on Windows.)

sdowney717
March 21st, 2012, 02:01 PM
I took some shots of the linux computer

Paqman
March 21st, 2012, 09:35 PM
Fourth one is definitely Ubuntu, but the first three are just KDE. So highly likely to be Linux, but not necessarily.