PDA

View Full Version : New iPad and the iPad 2: Can you really tell the difference?

nec207
March 19th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Sure, the reviewers are gushing about the retina display, the faster chip and the better camera on

the new iPad, of course. But do real people really get it?
As it turns out, for some people the distinction between the new hotness and the iPad 2 is a little fuzzy.

Despite some dramatic “my eyes, my eyes!” declarations of the iPad experience forever having been ruined by the clarity of the new iPad’s retina display compared with the screen of the iPad 2, the casual user doesn't seem able to easily see a difference between the two – other than the $100 difference in price.

An example of this comes from the folks at the Next Web. They asked customers outside an Apple Store on Friday to pick the new iPad out in a side-by-side comparison between it and its predecessor. Just by sight, without being able to compare the weight, most people in the video chose the wrong one. That included some customers who had just plopped down beaucoup bucks for the new iPad.

Read more about it here http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-difference-between-ipads-20120319,0,5898212.story

Apple should just call the ipad 2 a iPad 2S !!!

I thought the screen of the old ipad was 720 and the new one 1080 ?

KiwiNZ
March 19th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Yes

Retina™ display,
New A5X chip with quad-core graphics,
5 megapixel iSight® camera with advanced optics with 1080p HD video,
10 hour battery life.
iPad Wi-Fi + 4G supports ultrafast 4G LTE networks in the US and Canada, and HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA.

And 3 million buyers in 4 days saw the difference

kaldor
March 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM
The camera quality is very much better and the resolution is extremely high. Definitely worth it for certain people, but not worth an upgrade if you're still happy with an iPad 2.

KiwiNZ
March 19th, 2012, 10:31 PM
My iPad 1 was just sold with my boat so I am going to buy iPad 3 when it arrives in NZ

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2012, 10:40 PM
The camera quality is very much better and the resolution is extremely high. Definitely worth it for certain people, but not worth an upgrade if you're still happy with an iPad 2.

Honestly, though, how convenient is it to use a tablet as a camera?

KiwiNZ
March 19th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Honestly, though, how convenient is it to use a tablet as a camera?

The only use for the camera is for Facetime or Skype but the thought of seeing the mother in law in 1080p is just too terrifying to contemplate.

philinux
March 19th, 2012, 10:44 PM
My Son has an iPad 2 and I prefer a netbook and a nice camera.

My grandson loves it though. Possible problem is that not everything is touch screen. ;)

KiwiNZ
March 19th, 2012, 10:50 PM
My Son has an iPad 2 and I prefer a netbook and a nice camera.

I did feel similar, however I came to love the lightweight and inconvenience of the iPad for use in my wheelchair, it was easy to carry, easy to use and power lasted all day. Now that I am out of the wheelchair I still find a use for it and find myself missing my iPad a lot (reference above post re being sold with boat) .

I will definitely buy the new one now that I have evaluated the competition.

BeRoot ReBoot
March 19th, 2012, 11:12 PM
They're both proprietary, DRM-ridden and use a walled garden system to steal your freedom. I pity anyone stuck using these computers degenerated into freedom-destroying consumption devices.

KiwiNZ
March 19th, 2012, 11:17 PM
They're both proprietary, DRM-ridden and use a walled garden system to steal your freedom. I pity anyone stuck using these computers degenerated into freedom-destroying consumption devices.

I am as free as I was in 1980 and 1990 and 2000 and 2012.... don't see your issue

nec207
March 19th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I think the old iPad the screen was 720 and the new one is 1080P HD so caled Retina display??

waloshin
March 20th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I think the old iPad the screen was 720 and the new one is 1080P HD so caled Retina display??

Not its 2048x1536.

KiwiNZ
March 20th, 2012, 12:26 AM

The iPad 3 resolution is 2048 x 1536 or QXGA, iPad 2 was 1024×768 or XGA.
1080P HD is 1920 x 1080 so the iPad 3 exceeds 1080P.

mamamia88
March 20th, 2012, 06:47 AM
does it matter on the screen size though? i think when it's time to upgrade my portable scenario i will probably get a tablet. the lack of physical keyboard kind of sucks but i just tried the android voice typing on my phone and that could be a pretty good solution while using it at home

BeRoot ReBoot
March 20th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I am as free as I was in 1980 and 1990 and 2000 and 2012.... don't see your issue

You mean you've been using proprietary software on locked-down hardware all along? Even so, that statement doesn't make much sense. The level of vendor-lock in has increased a thousand-fold since apple's mobile devices started getting popular.

KiwiNZ
March 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM
You mean you've been using proprietary software on locked-down hardware all along? Even so, that statement doesn't make much sense. The level of vendor-lock in has increased a thousand-fold since apple's mobile devices started getting popular.

I am saying I have been using computers and Apple computers for a long time and I am free

Paqman
March 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Is this news? New releases of existing Apple products are always just small iterations of the preceding model.

asadmalik
March 20th, 2012, 08:21 AM
The difference is the price.
I can afford neither one :lolflag:

chipbuster
March 20th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Amen.:guitar:

KiwiNZ
March 20th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Is this news? New releases of existing Apple products are always just small iterations of the preceding model.

Like ubuntu, Suse, Windows, HP, Lenovo, Audi, BMW.................

KiwiNZ
March 20th, 2012, 08:35 AM

The price is more or less the same as for the difference check Wikipedia

nec207
March 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM

Wow that is very high resolution no idea why some people cannot tell !!! May be they are using wallpaper with low resolution .

I know if you go and buy HD TV and take it home and turn it on none HD channel it going to look worse than old tube TV . But turn it on HD channel it going to look really good .

My question is what apps and games are going to use that high resolution ? Or people going to have to wait to the programmers start to bring out apps and games in that high resolution .

BrokenKingpin
March 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
And 3 million buyers in 4 days saw the difference
Hahah... worst argument ever. Apple users buy the same **** year after year because of the logo. I am not saying the hardware is necessarily bad, but you sure are paying a premium.

For people who have the ipad2 I don't see how these new features justify the cost of a new one.

Grenage
March 20th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hahah... worst argument ever. Apple users buy the same **** year after year because of the logo.

Welcome to capitalism, it's the argument that matters. ;)

If I had a use for a tablet (I don't) I would be buying an ipad3. If I had an ipad2 already, well, that really depends on how much I wanted one. As I'd probably only be using it for browsing or films while travelling, possibly not.

malspa
March 20th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Even if I had the money to blow, I'd rather use it for something else.

jwbrase
March 20th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Wow that is very high resolution no idea why some people cannot tell !!! May be they are using wallpaper with low resolution .

Because the human eye only has so much resolution, and the human brain only pays so much attention.

KiwiNZ
March 20th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Hahah... worst argument ever. Apple users buy the same **** year after year because of the logo. I am not saying the hardware is necessarily bad, but you sure are paying a premium.

For people who have the ipad2 I don't see how these new features justify the cost of a new one.

Of course you know better than the millions:rolleyes:

It's said that Apple is purchased by those on higher incomes, hmmmm

chipbuster
March 21st, 2012, 04:17 AM
The price is more or less the same as for the difference check Wikipedia

The same as the iPad 2? Because I couldn't afford that one either.

wirepuller134
March 21st, 2012, 05:02 AM

Actually I'll disagree with you on this point. We just had our first ever Apple product come through from a friend for repair. After spending 4 hours with it and with 2 Apple employees via chat, we were impressed with it and Apple. We have now ordered 2 Imac 27 inch systems for our home. We were impressed with the quality of the hardware and the construction of the Macbook she brought in. I'm not sure if we would use the Ipad or not, we have convertible Lenovos now that barely get used other than laptops. For the hardware used I would say it's worth the price for someone wanting a tablet.

jfreak_
March 21st, 2012, 08:50 AM

Me too.
I am stuck with a 3 year old dual core lappy....:-(

forrestcupp
March 21st, 2012, 10:04 PM

I'm sure that a lot of those millions just bought it because it's the latest thing from Apple, and they would have done it whether it was really noticeably better or not.

knight2000
March 22nd, 2012, 12:20 AM
App developers want to reach as many users as possible. Therefore they will make their app work on the old tablets as well as the new. The hardware may be a little better, but the majority of the apps will be exactly the same. The only difference is that they might run a tiny bit quicker? Worth the cost of the upgrade? I don't think so. Too many people are focusing on the hardware, but good hardware ain't that much of a deal if the software (the apps) are still exactly the same.

If I was going for a premium spec tablet at the moment I would probly go for the Asus Prime. It looks fantastic and doesn't suffer from overheating issues. Premium tablets like the Prime and the Galaxy Tab 2 do look nice, but its important to rememblr that you don't necessarily need to pay big bucks to get a perfectly good tablet that meets most users needs.

On Android most development make their apps work on 2.2 and above, on ios most development make their apps work on old versions too.

Rodney9
March 22nd, 2012, 03:11 AM
App developers want to reach as many users as possible. Therefore they will make their app work on the old tablets as well as the new. The hardware may be a little better, but the majority of the apps will be exactly the same. The only difference is that they might run a tiny bit quicker? Worth the cost of the upgrade? I don't think so. Too many people are focusing on the hardware, but good hardware ain't that much of a deal if the software (the apps) are still exactly the same.

If I was going for a premium spec tablet at the moment I would probly go for the Asus Prime. It looks fantastic and doesn't suffer from overheating issues. Premium tablets like the Prime and the Galaxy Tab 2 do look nice, but its important to rememblr that you don't necessarily need to pay big bucks to get a perfectly good tablet that meets most users needs.

On Android most development make their apps work on 2.2 and above, on ios most development make their apps work on old versions too.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/316903/20120320/new-ipad-3-versus-asus-transformer-prime.htm

kpholmes
March 22nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/316903/20120320/new-ipad-3-versus-asus-transformer-prime.htm

i was a iphone user from the 2g all the way to the 4, but last year i was leaving abroad for quite a while, heading back to the US in 2 weeks now, and i couldnt depend on a software unlock from cydia while away. i opted for the htc sensation, bought a factory unlocked one from newegg, and i had always wanted to give android a spin but never had a reason too until 6 months ago. well ill be coming home soon, and i seriously doubt ill go back to an iphone, first of, money. simple mobile has unlimited web/talk/sms for 40 bucks a month. 60 bucks if you want 4g. att/sprint/and verizon dont even come close to that price or unlimited data (yes sprint does but its twice as much as simple mobile). number 2, android while lacking the tons of games available to idevices, it gives me way more control over my device, i can ssh into my computer and transfer new tv shows, movies, and music. i can customize my phone in ways i never though possible. and with Ubuntu for Android coming out soon (hopefully) then i can carry ubuntu in my pocket. what more could a power user/ tech enthusiast want? iphones are great for most people, but people who use computers the way us linux users tend to do, android just offers more.

that article you provided is great. thats something worth saving up for. hdmi on my tablet? attachable keyboard that has an extra battery allowing 18 hours of use before a charge? expandable memory? theres no doubt in my mind on ipad vs droid tablets.

spynappels
March 22nd, 2012, 01:49 PM

Meaning?

I know you're not suggesting higher income == better taste......

kaldor
March 22nd, 2012, 04:21 PM

While I'm not disagreeing with buying the new iPad, this is a really poor argument. Just because millions of people do something (anything) doesn't make it right or valid. With that sort of statement, one could argue that IE6 to IE8 are superior to Opera.

Jesus_Valdez
March 22nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
I have an iPad 2 and a "new" iPad and is really hard to tell the difference just by looking at the devices.

Once you start to using them the "retina" display becomes more apparent.

Was it worth the upgrade? Probably no, but oh boy the comics look really, really good.

forrestcupp
March 22nd, 2012, 06:12 PM
Meaning?

I know you're not suggesting higher income == better taste......

The "I am rich" iPhone app was only purchased by people with higher incomes. It must have been one heck of a useful app. ;)

megabuffen
April 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM
About this new iPad, how can it be made to work with Ubuntu?

It would be nice to sync some music. iTunes sucks.

aysiu
April 4th, 2012, 05:43 PM
About this new iPad, how can it be made to work with Ubuntu?

It would be nice to sync some music. iTunes sucks.
Doesn't Ubuntu now come with libimobiledevice installed?

MisterGaribaldi
April 4th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Sales of all other tablets pale in comparison to sales of iPads. And, it's not as though Google and Android don't have their downsides. Besides, while I love Android on a smart phone, I've never yet found a version of Android that was quite as nice as iOS on an iPad. That, and the fact there are a lot more commercial apps for iOS than Android.

Apple has put a lot of time, effort, and money into the iPad platform. The results speak for themselves.

KiwiNZ
April 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I wish Apple would include USB

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM

I wish they would at least include a microSD slot.

MisterGaribaldi
April 4th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Get the SD Card adapter, then stick your microSD card into an adapter, then stick it in the reader.

aysiu
April 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Get the SD Card adapter, then stick your microSD card into an adapter, then stick it in the reader.
You mean these?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

dpny
April 4th, 2012, 09:59 PM

How come?

KiwiNZ
April 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM
How come?

One of the reasons,

It's a pain in the Gluteus Maximus to transfer say photos from a DSLR when one is traveling.

dpny
April 5th, 2012, 12:05 AM
One of the reasons,

It's a pain in the Gluteus Maximus to transfer say photos from a DSLR when one is traveling.

Ah. Inneresting.

Bandit
April 5th, 2012, 12:32 AM

I agree, its the same as buying a Whirlpool Washer and Dryer.. If you need a part replaced you have to get a whirlpool part!.. iPad and iPad Apts..

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Ah. Inneresting.

When I am traveling, especially flying international( I do very often) it's a pain having to lug around a Laptop. I want a Tablet that can manage mass storage or SD cards so I can clear my DSLR , view and delete the pics I don't want and then fire the saved ones to the Cloud

forrestcupp
April 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM
One of the reasons,

It's a pain in the backside to transfer any kind of files without iTunes. And if you don't have a Mac, it's almost impossible to easily transfer any files. That's one big reason I went with an Android tablet.

On an iPad, you can't even attach a file to an email reply.

megabuffen
April 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
It's a pain in the backside to transfer any kind of files without iTunes. And if you don't have a Mac, it's almost impossible to easily transfer any files. That's one big reason I went with an Android tablet.

On an iPad, you can't even attach a file to an email reply.
I have to agree. Apple decided that "users shouldn't have to deal with a file system". In reality, this means that users aren't allowed to deal with a file system if they want to. Every app becomes isolated with it's own files.

If you jailbreak your ipad, you can access files on memory cards and USB drives. I've ordered this "connection kit": http://bit.ly/Hm7XJ1. It's a lot cheaper than the one from Apple.

megabuffen
April 7th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Doesn't Ubuntu now come with libimobiledevice installed?
So it does, but it won't work with the new ipad 3. It connect and allows me to read information from the device and use iTunes file transfer(without iTunes). However, I can't write to the music database.

LinuxFan999
April 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM
When I first saw the new iPad in the Apple store, I saw the difference in screen resolution immediately. However, I noticed that the new iPad gets much warmer than the previous one. I believe this is because the new A5X chip produces more heat than the older A5 chip. The heat became slightly uncomfortable after a few minutes of holding it. After visiting the Apple store, I visited the nearby Sprint store and looked at the tablet that was on display. It immediately felt much cooler than the new iPad.