PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Keyboard problems Ubuntu 10.04

kingrat89
March 19th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I need help, it is very strange problem:
when I press the number '8' from the numlock numbers of my keyboard, the functions is to increase the volume sound, when I press '2' - decrease, when I hit the 'enter' from the numlock pad it opens the home directory of the linux... Please help any suggestions, because it is freaking hell

sudodus
March 19th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Have you tried to click on the numlock key? I think that will toggle those keys between numeric and navigation behaviour.

kingrat89
March 19th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Have you tried to click on the numlock key? I think that will toggle those keys between numeric and navigation behaviour.

I forgot to tell you that this problem is constantly - when the numlock key is pressed and when it is off it is the same situation

sudodus
March 19th, 2012, 07:28 PM
What computer, keyboard is it, and what operating system (Ubuntu version and flavour)?

- Is this behaviour depending on some software, for example multimedia player, that you are running?

- Will it stay after reboot?

- What happens if you boot your computer from the Ubuntu install CD or USB drive?

kingrat89
March 19th, 2012, 09:06 PM
What computer, keyboard is it, and what operating system (Ubuntu version and flavour)?

- Is this behaviour depending on some software, for example multimedia player, that you are running?

- Will it stay after reboot?

- What happens if you boot your computer from the Ubuntu install CD or USB drive?

The OS is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS lucid

The problem is not connected with any software (players etc.)

After reboot it stays

I didn't try to boot the ubuntu from install cd or usb because I don't have it

sudodus
March 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I suggest we try to find out if it is a hardware or software issue.

It is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I run the same version, and I am happy with it. But you have not written anything about the computer hardware.

- Is it a desktop or laptop computer?

- What keyboard is it?

- And what keyboard driver is it (the program that should fit to your particular keyboard, to interpret the signals from the keys)?

- Can you try with another keyboard?

- And would it be possible for you to download an iso file of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and make a boot CD or USB drive? Just to test if it works when you run a live session (only testing, not reinstalling, at least not before trying to repair).

kingrat89
March 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I suggest we try to find out if it is a hardware or software issue.

It is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I run the same version, and I am happy with it. But you have not written anything about the computer hardware.

- Is it a desktop or laptop computer?

- What keyboard is it?

- And what keyboard driver is it (the program that should fit to your particular keyboard, to interpret the signals from the keys)?

- Can you try with another keyboard?

- And would it be possible for you to download an iso file of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and make a boot CD or USB drive? Just to test if it works when you run a live session (only testing, not reinstalling, at least not before trying to repair).

Well, I am using normal desktop pc for this ubuntu with 2ghz, 1024 ram, 64 video card...
The Keyboard is something made in china, but it is my default keyboard -> this is happening for first time and I am using the kb for the last 6 months...
I am thinking for the USB checking but this is not a solution to the problem...

Is it possible the reason of virus infecting or something...? I know that there are no viruses for linux, but...

sudodus
March 20th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Well, I am using normal desktop pc for this ubuntu with 2ghz, 1024 ram, 64 video card...
The Keyboard is something made in china, but it is my default keyboard -> this is happening for first time and I am using the kb for the last 6 months...
I am thinking for the USB checking but this is not a solution to the problem...

Is it possible the reason of virus infecting or something...? I know that there are no viruses for linux, but...
No I don't think it is a virus. It is probably a hardware error or something in the keyboard driver that has been changed or destroyed.

If it is a USB keyboard, have you checked to connect it to another USB port?

Or can you borrow another keyboard, just to test it?

What about the keyboard driver programs? Select from the menu

System -- Settings -- Keyboard -- Layout
and try another keyboard model. You might even try with another language (if you have more than one installed).

halibaitor
March 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I'm wondering if the keyboard shortcuts are somehow corrupted.

System ---> Preferences ---> Keyboard Shortcuts

kingrat89
March 21st, 2012, 12:48 PM
I'm wondering if the keyboard shortcuts are somehow corrupted.

System ---> Preferences ---> Keyboard Shortcuts

Yep, I changed them, but very strange why the were changed... I am still thinking of infection or it's a bug...?