PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Gnome interface on 12.04

wpshooter
March 19th, 2012, 01:57 PM
How can I go about running/trying the Gnome interface on 12.04 LIVE CD ?

I found a reference to using the following command:

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

But when I tried it on the live CD session it came back and gave some message about it not being available.

Is there a simple way to do this without having to reinvent the wheel ?

Thanks.

raja.genupula
March 19th, 2012, 07:17 PM
in a LIVE CD ?

well try with this

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

wpshooter
March 19th, 2012, 08:18 PM
in a LIVE CD ?

well try with this

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

I get the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package gnome-shell is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'gnome-shell' has no installation candidate

Which this basically the same thing that I got when I tried the command as shown in my original post.

Thanks.

jerrrys
March 19th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Gnome-session-fallback, also known as gnome-classic is not the same as gnome-shell. Installing gnome-shell will give you a completely different desktop.

You have the right command for installing "fallback", but you must install ubuntu to your computer. A live session is limited to what it can do.

wpshooter
March 19th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Gnome-session-fallback, also known as gnome-classic is not the same as gnome-shell. Installing gnome-shell will give you a completely different desktop.

You have the right command for installing "fallback", but you must install ubuntu to your computer. A live session is limited to what it can do.

Thanks, that is sort of what I was thinking BUT that does not help me very much, since I sort of like to look at a horse before I buy it !!!

cwklinuxguy
March 19th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Desktop environments can be installed and uninstalled as you wish. Install a desktop, try it, and if it's not your cup of tea, remove it!! No biggie :)

You may also be interested in trying the MATE Desktop Environment (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.mate-desktop.org), which is a fork of Gnome 2. It's still got some bugs in there and a few things that need polishing, but all the basic functionality is there.

jerrrys
March 20th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Thanks, that is sort of what I was thinking BUT that does not help me very much, since I sort of like to look at a horse before I buy it !!!

I have not tried this, but I think a persistent install would work.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142:u-ocqbntw_o&q=persistent+install&sa=Search&cof=FORID:9

raja.genupula
March 20th, 2012, 03:52 AM

Hi Jerry small correction my friend

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/gnome-shell-ubuntu-11-10-guide/

@OP look at the link

jerrrys
March 20th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Thankyou Raja :)

raja.genupula
March 20th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Thankyou Raja :)

Welcome my friend :)

bumblestiltskin
April 4th, 2012, 12:12 AM
I had a similar problem when trying out the 12.04 beta 2. I wanted to go try out the classic look of the gnome desktop. I was able to get it to work using a USB stick in Persistent mode. Here is how I got Gnome Fallback/Classic to work:

Open Software Center

From the top panel/menu select "edit > Software Sources..."

From the "Ubuntu Software" tab check "(universe)" and "(multiverse)"

Click the "Close" button to close the Software Center

I don't know how to update sources from the Software Center, so I do it in the terminal

Click on "Dash Home" (top icon of the Unity dock)

In the search field, type "terminal"

Click on terminal to open

In the terminal enter:

sudo apt-get update

This will update Ubuntu with the Universe and Multiverse package list

From the terminal now enter:

It should tell you which packages are going to be installed and ask to continue. Enter "Y" to continue

After the install, you will need to log out and then choose Gnome Classic by clicking the arrow to the right of the login box.

Default user is "Ubuntu". Default password is blank -- just hit enter. You should then log into a Gnome 3 desktop that mimics the old Gnome 2 desktop.

On my install, in order to change or remove items, I need to hold down the banner (windows key) + alt and then right click on the item I want to change.

Hope this helps.

critin
April 4th, 2012, 01:14 AM
How can I go about running/trying the Gnome interface on 12.04 LIVE CD ?

I found a reference to using the following command:

But when I tried it on the live CD session it came back and gave some message about it not being available.

Is there a simple way to do this without having to reinvent the wheel ?

Thanks.

When I installed 12.04 several weeks ago, I had the choice of several environments at log-in, gnome-classic among them. I didn't have to install anything.

bumblestiltskin
April 4th, 2012, 05:26 AM
When I installed 12.04 several weeks ago, I had the choice of several environments at log-in, gnome-classic among them. I didn't have to install anything.

I wonder if it's just the live cd/usb that doesn't install the classic environment.

critin
April 4th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I wonder if it's just the live cd/usb that doesn't install the classic environment.

Well, I downloaded the live and installed it--it was there.
I'd seen a post somewhere that Gnome classic was going to be one of several default options at log-in. Was sure glad to see it.

Obviously-- you don't login on a live so there's no way to know.

critin
April 4th, 2012, 11:36 PM
If no one else has it without adding something, I must have added something too without realizing it.

Today, I found in the Software Center an app called, "Launcher and docking facility for gnome". (gnome panel) (installed) I was searching a few weeks ago for something and probably installed this. Anyway this turns out to be the "gnome panel" that brings in gnome classic.

You might want to check it out.