PDA

View Full Version : I've never taken part in irc - am I missing out?

chickenPie4breakfast
March 19th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Do you use it and do you feel you would be missing something really good if you stopped using it?
any advice if you use it - interesting channels - would it be best to use a cli app or gui - recommend one?

nothingspecial
March 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Click the link in my sig to get started.

philinux
March 19th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Do you use it and do you feel you would be missing something really good if you stopped using it?
any advice if you use it - interesting channels - would it be best to use a cli app or gui - recommend one?

Xchat is currently my gui of choice.

Channels.

#ubuntu = very busy.
#ubuntu-beginners

And as nothingspecial points out in post 2 #ubuntuforums

Paqman
March 19th, 2012, 12:53 PM
It's a tool from a bygone era, but still popular in certain niches. Depends what you want to get out of it really.

matt_symes
March 19th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Xchat is currently my gui of choice.

Channels.

#ubuntu = very busy.
#ubuntu-beginners

And as nothingspecial points out in post 2 #ubuntuforums

Which one is the "official" one ? Which one do you guys frequent ?

I have been thinking of helping on one myself but i want to use the one where i would be most useful.

nothingspecial
March 19th, 2012, 12:58 PM
#ubuntu and #ubuntu-beginners are for support. #ubuntuforums is for chat.

I am in all of them and more when on line.

matt_symes
March 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM
#ubuntu and #ubuntu-beginners are for support. #ubuntuforums is for chat.

I am in all of them and more when on line.

Thanks nothingspecial.

philinux
March 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Which one is the "official" one ? Which one do you guys frequent ?

I have been thinking of helping on one myself but i want to use the one where i would be most useful.

Here's a screenshot of #ubuntu. You can see the Topic near the bottom.

No idea why the screenshot came out pink as the background is white on my monitor. ;)

You can see by the timestamps on the left that it's very busy.

ubunbu
March 19th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I have xchat as a startup program

There's a ton of channels on freenode which aren't about ubuntu , or even computers to.

Don't forget to ask staff for a cloak in the #freenode channel (it hides your IP) ;)

asifnaz
March 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Don't forget to ask staff for a cloak in the #freenode channel (it hides your IP) ;)

what is a cloak and why should i hide my IP?

to OP freenode has many computer and OS relatef channels like mac , ubuntu , windows , fedora , freebsd etc

please add if somebody else find other

Phrea
March 19th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Aaah, my kind of topic. ;)

IRC is very much alive, but due to people thinking it's 'difficult' people shy away from it.
In reality tho, it's like saying that Linux [Ubuntu specifically] is 'difficult', it just isn't, but it has the name.

I also use Xchat, but mostly because I've been using it for so long.

You won't find me in any of the official English Ubuntu channels, because those are not for me.
You can find me in channels like ##club-ubuntu, #reddit and #android and such.

codemaniac
March 19th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Somehow i feel IRC turns the user on when she is on console .
IRSSI .. :)))

matt_symes
March 19th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Here's a screenshot of #ubuntu. You can see the Topic near the bottom.

No idea why the screenshot came out pink as the background is white on my monitor. ;)

Thanks philinux.

I will check it out when i get a contiguous period of free time.

synaptix
March 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
IRC is loads fun especially when the time is right in #ubuntuforums

Dry Lips
March 19th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Sure you don't use redshift?

kevdog
March 19th, 2012, 02:55 PM
irc definitely isn't dead. Its mostly male dominated conversation however :-k

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
My experience of IRC is that there are only two kinds of chat rooms. The first kind is the one where there is you, 15 bots, and one other real person who isn't paying attention to the room you are in. So in those rooms, you type something, wait ten minutes, and no one ever says anything.

The only other types of rooms are the few rooms that have 50 people in them with about seven different conversations going, and if you're the new person just entering into the middle of it, no one pays attention to anything you say because they're already engrossed in one of the seven conversations already going at high speed.

In my opinion, you're not missing much. :)

Peripheral Visionary
March 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I used it for the first time evening before last. Had written down a few questions about Linux and the new Xubuntu, and found three people right away to answer them. Very polite, very good stuff. I could have posted them in the forums and waited for the next day or two, but just for grins I asked them in chat - and got good answers instantly, faster than Google, lol! It was fun! I would still be there chatting if not for that call from across the house, "Go to bed!"

Lightstar
March 20th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I was using that back in the 90s.
Not anymore, way too boring for me... text-only chat.. pfft.

IWantFroyo
March 20th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Yep. You're missing out.

I second #ubuntuforums.

sujoy
March 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM
If I could have one penny for every hour spent in irc :P ...

synaptix
March 21st, 2012, 06:57 PM
If I could have one penny for every second spent in irc :P ...

Fixed. :D

Phrea
March 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM
Fixed. :D

I would have 6832800 pennies ! I'm RICH ! :guitar:

KiwiNZ
March 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
I don't go near IRC, I do not think I am missing anything.

sffvba[e0rt
March 21st, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't go near IRC, I do not think I am missing anything.

Come over to the dark side, we have cookies.

KiwiNZ
March 21st, 2012, 08:52 PM
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies.

now if you had said Jelly Beans:p

CompyTheInsane
March 21st, 2012, 09:04 PM
There's also pie.

Sidewinder1
March 21st, 2012, 09:06 PM
Sometimes the answers are a little quicker in IRC; other times it can be a close race between there and these forums. I wouldn't want to bet heavily in that race; without odds. :-)
Side

linuxyogi
March 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
I sometimes get solutions faster using irc. This forum is a better alternative IMO. You are not missing anything major if if you are not using irc.

Erik1984
March 23rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
I sometimes want to be part of some IRC channel but anytime I enter such channel I have no idea what to say :p

s.fox
March 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
I sometimes want to be part of some IRC channel but anytime I enter such channel I have no idea what to say :p

Try saying hello =)

matt_symes
March 23rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Try saying hello =)

^^^ This works for me :D

I was going to post some screenshots of xchat in this thread; how to install and use it.

Maybe bang on a bit about irssi and webchat but i have been told it's part of the next forum agenda meeting.

If i did post some info, would it be redundant ?

nothingspecial
March 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM

I was going to post some screenshots of xchat in this thread; how to install and use it.

Maybe bang on a bit about irssi and webchat but i have been told it's part of the next forum agenda meeting.

Not at all :)

samalex
March 23rd, 2012, 02:43 PM

I haven't read all the replies, but given I've been an IRCer for a better part of 20 years I figure I'd chime in :) And yes I think you are missing something since IRC is a wonderful place to connect to some wonderful like-minded people.

Firstly avoid the bigger networks like Efnet, Undernet, and IRCNet. I've not had a decent conversation in any of those networks in a better part of 10 years, and it's more of a wild west type mentality where anything goes. I'd say those went to crap in the same way Usenet has gone to crap.

I would suggest Freenode though since it's very FOSS friendly and ran by some great guys. Just register your nick with nickserv so people know you are you and find some smaller channels to hang out in. I'd suggest avoiding the 1000+ user channels like ##linux, #ubuntu, etc, instead find some niche channels that cater to specific FOSS apps, projects, or services you enjoy and you'll generally find some wonderful folk.

IRC is still VERY relevant and it's a very overlooked resource. Also it's a great place to just lounge online and meet new people. I try to keep a connection disconnected all the time on my server at home using tmux or screen, so shout my way if you get in :) I use the same username here as I do in IRC.

Take care -

matt_symes
March 23rd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Not at all :)

Will do that later today then :D

Retlol
March 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM

I was reading this thread on my old xp machine and fired up xchat to check it out, free trail ended :p

Always thought it was open source freeware. Either way, freenode webchat ftw.

philinux
March 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Freenode channel #ubuntuforums is going very well.

And xchat is easy to set up. Also the latest thunderbird supports irc and there's also within Firefox chatzilla addon.